I need amusment park survival tips

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, Jun 16, 2006.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Happy Friday everyone! I'm not feeling too hot today, I had my local wedding reception last Saturday, so am still recovering from that. Plus, my kids & husband have finally gotten over a nasty stomach flu, which I was lucky enough not to catch myself. But, unlucky enough to have to scrub out of the carpet, which I am still paying for in the shoulder area.

Anyways, my sister got us all free tickets to Great America, but we have to tomorrow. Not great for me, because I would much rather relax, but I can't pass up the opportunity for my kids. It would cost close to $200 for my family to go, and we could not afford that any time soon.

So, I'm already in a flare, and totally exhausted. Any experienced moms out there with any valuable tips to share? My husband, who never used to want to talk about pushing me in a wheelchair (I'm 27), has suggested that maybe we can rent one if I get too tired, so that is a starting place. Any more??

Thanks in advance for your help - I sure need it!!

Hugs,
    Leanne
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I would opt for the wheel chair. When I was very pregnant with my younger daughter I went to our state fair in a wheel chair. We rented it at the front gate.

Not only did I stay in the chair most of the day, but I didn't have to ride any rides because everyone piled there stuff on me to hold! I had stuffed animals, candy, phamplets, even a platic bag with a goldfish in it!

I don't like the rides because they throw me around too much.

This last fall was the first time I have missed the fair in years. Just couldn't face all that time away from home and thinking of walking around. I like to go with my Mom and she couldn't push me in a chair and I'm not strong enough to roll it myself.

Stay in the chair and let them take care of you!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I agree with greenbean7 rent a chair before you get tired. It may save you some pain.also take a sun hat ,the sun bothers me and ya dont want to get sun posining.us sun screen.The sun can be very tireing in its self.Drink lots and lots of water.
  4. sascha

sascha Member

hi, Leanne- just in general, i always have an artist's light-weight and portable stool. it's made of light metal and can be folded up tight- it has a fabric seat, and also a shoulder strap. it can be easily carried. i take it to museums/exhibits. i put a longer should strap on it. it is easy to manage and carry. can use it waiting in line, for example at banks/post-office. it helps me enormously if i can sit down. good luck and have fun. Sascha
  5. luvnewcomb

luvnewcomb New Member

My husband made me be pushed in a wheel chair when we went to disney world and it was the best decision he ever made for me.

I was against it, but he knew I wouldn't make it further than an hour without being exhausted and in more pain so he rented me one. I felt embarrased at first but got used to it.

I normally just use a cane as I have balance problems and my knees and ankles buckle out from under me, along with horrible pain in my legs and feet (not to mention the rest of my body). Also, the more tired I get the more I hurt.

My daughter especially loved it as we got sent to the front of all the lines and I was able to enjoy 3 days of parks without walking a step. I never could have done it without the wheel chair and would gladly get one again.

I'm actually thinking of buying a cheap one for the few times we go to concerts or whatever where I need to walk. It would definitely make life more fun to be able to go out again.
  6. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Well, I was all for the wheelchair anyways, but now I guess I have no choice! I think we'll just get it first thing even if I don't need it then, so we can put our stuff in it!

Thanks again!

Leanne
  7. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Leanne:

My suggestion to you is to get a motorized scooter. No one has to push you around...and you can keep up with the kids. At Disneyland (I live in LA County) the scooters are something like $35 for the day(I think you have to leave a credit card, or a deposit). They also rent out wheelchairs for $8 for the whole day, which is the same amount that they charge for a stroller for the kids!

Also, I would check into disabled parking, disabled access for rides (if you are going to be doing the rides as well). Sometimes you only need a disabled placard, or some places just take your word for it. At Disneyland (since most of the attractions were built many years ago) the disabled access is most often through the exit. You can usually get a pass for 4 people.

Also, do not force yourself to go on all the rides...I usually hang out at the entrance to the rides that I do not care to go on (we have lots at Disneyland that can really hurt), and take photos, or enjoy the break. Drink lots of water, try to stay out of the sun, and if you cannot do that, take breaks out of the sun.

Do not buy anything to bring home until you are ready to go home. Most amusement parks have the same stuff at all of their shops, and I am always amazed at how silly the people who buy lots of stuff on the way in have to carry it around with them all day long...

Good luck, and hope you have fun.

Ingrid
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I say get the wheelchair right off the bat and take care of yourself. Avoiding getting overtired will help you have a good day also.

I know you feel funny about it but get over it, you need it and you will be glad you used it.

Have a good time...
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

I went to seaworld with a friend and we both rented scooters...at $15 for 4 hours, it was great! Mostly we saw the dolphins and shows, not the amusement park section.

We loved it, and even tho' we both look healthy as those Orcas, no one bothered us or looked at us wierdly. We had a great time.

Enjoy your day having fun. Protect from heat and sun, take fruit and drink lots of water!

findmind
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

I have not had to do this, but if you are already wiped out, you need to take care of yourself. The family therapist my husband and I see even recommends this -- he says he and his wife takes turns in the wheelchair so they can go the distance to keep up with their grandkids for an entire theme park day.

Go to bed early the night before, and have a good breakfast (with protein) the morning of.

If it is available, you can afford it and have some leverage, I recommend scheduling inside, sit-down lunch service. It is usually cooler, quieter, and more leisurely.

Stay hydrated -- water, not caffeine.

Wear sunglasses and a hat -- some people tend to be really worn out by bright days. Don't forget sunscreen.

Alternate outdoor activities with indoor -- such as 'shows'. This way you can pace yourself a little better. Also, try to schedule less strenuous activities for the high-heat/sun parts of the day.

Take earplugs. That way if you get too overwhelmed with all the noise, you can tune some of it out. I tell my husband and son when I do this if we're out. That way they know to touch my arm to get my attention. Most of the time I can still hear when they're talking to me and can respond. It made a recent 4-hour flight w/a screaming baby seated in back of me less stressful!

I haven't clicked on your profile, so I don't know the ages of your kids. If you can help it, let them go on the faster, more violent, rides by themselves. The last thing you want is to wake up the next day sorer than ever. Whiplash is not fun!

Focus on enjoying the company of your family, not 'seeing absolutely everything'. Take a small camera and be the trip photographer so you can participate without having to expend as much energy. Besides, you can enjoy the pics later.

If the service is available, and a family member purchases something, take advantage of pick-up service at the front gate. No one wants the stress of dragging around and being responsible for packages. (We learned this when my five-year-old son won a life-sized stuffed white tiger with just $3 worth of plastic rings at 10 o'clock in the morning!)

Realize that just because they're kids, they're not immune to park fatigue also. It may be less stressful on you to schedule a time in the afternoon to have a leisure cold drink with the kids and just recline on a convenient piece of grass in the shade. When they're more relaxed, chances are, you'll be, too.

And don't forget -- it's not a crime to leave early!

Hope you come through with flying colors!

11. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

My family and i went to disneyland not to long ago and my kids talked me into barowing a chair from a friend beleve me i was agenst it but i did it and boy was i glad yes it was a little strange and embarssing at first but thank god i had it,anyway what i did was sit some and push some that seemed to work out ok,iam sure people thought if she can push it why not just go without exsepcialy because when i wasent in it i was pushing my very pregnet daughter in it and my outher daughter who had injerd her ankel we took turns,lol so iam sure that really looked strange,lol anyway sorry for the long story but ya get one you will love it,it makes your trip more fun,take care,angelkisses
  12. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

for a purely selfish reason a wheelchair at an amusument park is a good thing, you get to bypass the lines! one of my friends i confined to a wheelchair and we love going to amusement parkes because we egt to go on the best rides without the long waits. i know it sounds terrible but just once in awhile shouldn't there be some benefits to this dd.
    rachel
  13. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I get the motorized scooter at six flags, and take it easy - I don't do anything that bumps me around alot.

Anyway, that works well for us. I was able to take my 10 year old without my husband a few weeks ago like this. Also, I took a tramadol right as we got there.

That gave me some stamina, and it had worn off by the time we left. I took some tylenol for the drive home. (About an hour's drive.)