I need an appetite STIMULANT!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debbiem31, Jun 9, 2003.

1. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I know it sounds weird, seeing how most people here don't have that problem, but I'm severly underweight. I hardly ever have an appetite. Of course, pain makes me not want to eat, too.

I was wondering if anyone knows of an herbal appetite stimulant. I do not have a doctor, so a prescribed medicine would be useless to me. It would have to be OTC.

Thanks a bunch,

Debbie
  2. RLCarter03

RLCarter03 New Member

I have the same problem, I have lost down from 135 lbs. to 112 lbs. in the last few months and it doesn't seem to stop. I have tried ensure, high carb-high calorie drinks, eating is kind of like a chore for me. I am going to the health food store today or tomorrow, if I find something I will let you know, other than that, I will be getting something from doc hopefully. Went today and not such good news....Good Luck
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

(I'm down to 98 pounds, and am 5'7 ...

Ginger is supposed to be an appetite stimulant.

Here is the description of a tincture I found on the web, not so that anybody gets it, but because the herbs it contains are described individually, and are all meant to stimulate appetite or work against loss of appetite:

"This herbal supplement has been designed by a Master Herbalist to stimulate the appetite. It combines herbs well known, and recommended by the German Commission E, for improving the appetite and eliminating symptoms of appetite loss. This supplement may also be used in conjunction with a weight gain program to enhanced weight gain and body building programs.

Ingredients:
    Gentian (Gentiana lutea) - This plant contains one of the most bitter substances known - the glycoside amarogentin. Its main use is as a digestive tonic. The strong bitter properties promote digestion, increase peristalsis, stimulate the flow of bile and improve the appetite. It is rich in natural sugar and is beneficial for the pancreas, spleen and kidneys. Gentian is also helpful for gastro-intestinal inflammation and for controlling fevers. CAUTION: avoid large doses which may cause vomiting.

Centaury (Centaurium erythraea) - Another member of the Gentianaceae that is very similar to gentian in its constituents and effects is centaury. This herb consists of the dried above ground parts-leaves, stems, and flowers-of Centaurium erythaea Rafn., a plant native to Europe and Asia but naturalized in the United States. Like gentian, it contains amarogentian, gentiopicroside, swertimarin, and a number of related bitter principals. It is used for precisely the same purpose as gentian, but Pahlow recommends 1 heaping teaspoonful (ca. 2 g.) of the herb be extracted with a cup ( 240 ml.) of cold water for 6 to 10 hours, stirring occasionally, to prepare the most active beverage. This tea should be warmed before drinking. The herb is approved by German Commission E, for treatment of appetite loss and indigestion. 6-12 drops 2-3 times daily or more for short durations.

Ginger Root (Zingiber officinale) - The action of Ginger is warming and stimulating. It helps to promote gastric secretions, thus aiding with food absorption. It is excellent for indigestion, flatulence, nausea (including travel sickness), and colic. It is stimulating to the circulation and will help to warm cold hands and feet. It has a beneficial effect on the lungs, helping to dispel mucus and phlegm. Taken hot, it promotes sweating and is helpful for colds and flues. It is also used for suppressed menstruation. Chewing the root will stimulate the saliva and benefit the sore throat. The Chinese use the fresh ginger root for treatment of colds and for sweating, and the dried root for respiratory and digestive disorders. Other uses include: relief of headaches, aches and pains, and as a cleansing agent through the kidneys and bowels.

Scullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) - Scullcap is an excellent tonic for the nervous system. It is used for nervousness, insomnia and for withdrawal from drugs and alcohol. Tierra advises taking 15-20 drops of tincture every 1-2 hours to reduce the severity of withdrawal. Scullcap helps to induce an inner calm and to help lessen negative mind chatter. Its bitter qualities help to strengthen the digestive system. In former times, it was used in the treatment of rabies and epilepsy. CAUTION: high doses may cause dizziness, mental confusion and/or irregular pulse rate.

Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) - Thyme is a common household spice that has many medicinal values. It helps to clear respiratory difficulties, including bronchial problems, whooping cough, laryngitis, catarrh, and sore throat. It also treats the digestive system for stomach cramps, diarrhea, heartburn, chronic gastritis, flatulence, colic, and diminished appetite. Taken at the beginning of cold or flu, it will induce perspiration. It may be used as an antiseptic mouthwash and as a skin wash to destroy fungal infections (such as Athlete's Foot and skin parasites). As a local irritant, it increases the blood flow to the surface; it can be used in baths for neurasthenia, rheumatism, paralysis, bruises, swellings, and sprains. In a salve it is helpful for shingles. CAUTION: Excessive use can lead to poisoning symptoms and over stimulation of the thyroid gland. Tierra suggests no more than 1 ounce per day."

Susanne
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Same problem here. Eating is an absolute chore for me.

I just don't care for food. I force myself to drink Ensure as it is full of vitamins and minerals. I can't take a multi Vitamin as most upset my stomach, so I am killing two birds with one stone here.

I have tried all kinds of OTC, and herbals, but nothing works.

I do drink milk, eat bread and butter, lots of decaff. tea with condenced milk in it for the calories, water and a meal when I can get it down! I also try to eat an egg everyday for protein.

The only suggestion I have for you, is just try to eat small meals or snacks, crackers, bread and butter, yogurt, piece of fruit, fresh, canned, etc.

I am also not a junk food eater either. No candy,chips, ice cream etc.

This is a daily struggle, I even asked a doctor years ago if there was a 'pill' I could take instead of eating! Its a wonder he didn't have me lockup for being a nut :)

I am happy to say, that I raised three children and all have good appetites! I fed everyone but myself.

Let me know if you find something that helps...........

Shalom, Shirl

5. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi,
    I have a friend who has had the same problem as you do, his doc started him on Marinol , since he had lost over 50 pounds in less than 1 year and cant seem to eat enough to gain any back. On the Marinol, for the last 3 weeks he has gained 5 pounds! It seems to help the pain and stimulate the appitite too. Maybe this is something you could discuss with your doctor?
    Hugs to you
    Denise
  6. AC77

AC77 New Member

Remeron 7.5mgs to 15mgs at night or Elavil,if you arent to sedated. Always makes people gain weight :)

Naturally, I believe arthicoke extract has been used and Ginger helps settle the stomach and quell nausea and 'may' help with appetite.
    Good Luck
  7. nje

nje New Member

i needed to lose, because i weighed 192lbs 7 months ago. that was the most i`d ever weighed in my entire life,i was always small. well anyway,all of a sudden my appetite was gone, and i have lost to 145, thats 47lbs in 7 months. this was my weight in my late 30`s and early to mid 40`s. i still have no appetite,i`m afraid i`m going to keep on losing and then i will look like a corpse and feel like one.i drink milkshakes and yoo-hoos,very cold stuff to drink is all i want. i try to force a few bites of solid food everyday,sometimes i can, others i can`t. also elavil is a very weight gaining pill,its used for a lot of reasons,but it will put the weight on you, i know, i took it for years,i believe thats why i got up to 192,but i had been off it for awhile before i lost my appetite and started losing weight, i went down like the titanic,and i think i`m still going. i want it to stop, before i get bony.on my body structure, 140-145 is all i need to weigh,no more no less.just try what works the best for you,you can do trial and error,until you find a way to keep from blowing away.you might want to consider elavil, it does make you eat and gain. i personally,unless i keep losing and losing am not going back on it, because it does make you hungry and it will make you gain weight, you sound a lot smaller than me, so you may have to go on it or something else soon. hope you good luck. nje
  8. DebP

DebP New Member

I had the same idea as shazz. The only thing i know will affect your appetite is cannabis...unless it doesnt work for you or you dont want to try it or already have.

This is kind of a controversial subject here because of the rules, but i think it would be more controversial if someone was to have more health problems, or even death because of being malnurished. Just my thoughts on the subject...and it is one of the most natural, least side affects types of "medicine" you can use.

DebP
  9. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Thanks so much for all the input...

I do indulge in smoking once in a while. Normally, it's because I'm in so much pain, that I don't want to eat. So if I smoke some, it helps and I can finally eat dinner. But realistically, I can't smoke all day, every day. Not only do I not have the $$, but I also have a toddler to take care of until my hubby gets home. I wait until right before dinner, when he's home, to smoke.

As for B complex, I take it every day, and have never noticed an increased appetite. I wish!! I do take them for energy because I smoke cigs and it depletes my body of B and C vitamins.

Shirl, thanks so much for your input. I do try to eat small meals throughout the day. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat, and hope that I don't feel sick afterwards. Mornings are especially bad. I don't feel a twinge of hunger until sometimes 11:00!!

To the person who posted about the herbal supplement (sorry, I forgot name already!), is this a supp. that you can purchase? I've never heard of the first two ingredients, so I wouldn't know where to start looking! If you know if I could buy this somewhere, please let me know...

Thanks again, everyone!!

Love, Debbie
  10. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have the same Problem. I have started to lose weight because of the Pain from everything that is going on in my body. It's like a War right now.

When I have Pain, I have no interest in Food, heck even when I'm not in Pain.

I lost over 70lb's when I first started the Symptom's of a FMS Flare. Was un=dx at the time.

I couldn't eat, cause it caused me a Lot of Pain, turn's out I have not only GERD, IBS and IFB, but I have CMP Trigger points in my Stomach/belly area, caused by a Huge Scar from a Gall Bladder surgery in 90. It's been up and down ever since that Operation, till I just couldn't stand it any more.

So I went and got some Smoke, with both my Dr. and Pastor's ok, because of the situation. It was that or they were going to put me in the hospital on IV's. No Thanks.

Being in Idaho and Oregon, it was easy to get smoke that wasn't messed with. Lot's of Farmer's up that away.

It helped the Pain too, so it was a double Blessing.
    I use a Pipe and a screen, helps to keep the tar down.
    I usually smoke an hour before I eat.
    But lately, even that hasn't been Helping, I have only been eating every other day or so, and not much, Hubby's getting cranky about it. I cook for him, it's just that I don't want to eat.
    I'm going through another Stressful Period in my life too and that makes me not want to eat.

I know how hard it is for some to understand this problem, but I have been this way most of my life. For about 10 year's I weighed around 190 lb's, I think it was due to the Med's the Dr's had me on, They didn't help with the Pain or sleep either, just gave me Nightmare's.

Try eating something Sweet, just before you start eating your dinner, this Tricks my Taste bud's so that I can get something down.

Food makes me sick, but we need it, just like the LA air can make me sick, but I Have to breathe the air, but I do try to clean it the best I can. Air purifer's are great.

Good Luck to you, maybe someone will have a suggestion that can Help us both.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  11. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Was the name Marinol? Someone else posted about it in this thread.

Unfortunately, I'm not being treated by a doc, so I don't have access to prescription drugs.

Thanks, though, for taking the time to respond.

Debbie
  12. Kim

Kim New Member

I have always been underweight. 5'6", 104. Started Remeron for insomnia and depression ( I was eating three meals a day), went up to 116 very fast. I'm humgry all the time and sleep through the night (8 to 10 hours) which I never did before.

[ advertisement ]