I need answers about government grants PLEASE

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by doxygirl, Jun 12, 2007.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Hi Everyone,

Most of you know that I have looking desperately for some way to start my own business.....I have been doing as much research as possible........ fibro permitting ;)

I filled out an online form for governemnt grants.....and A lady called me back and left me a message asking me to call her back that she wants to help me with the process of starting my own business............

I tried to look up this company with the BBB and could not find the company ....seems that it is an online business...since they had no contact information on the website.............

Now.....Iam doubting that it is legitimate.......even though the lady sounded professional in her message.....I want and need information that will be for legitimate governemnt grants.....

If any of you know how I can obtain legitimate government grants for starting my business.....PLEASE let me know !

I know that there are a LOT of grants for all kinds of things from the government and a lot of them you do not have to pay back..............

At this point any kind of information will help!

Thank you so much
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

when you filled out this form, was is on a government web site? You are right to be cautious.

I'd probably listen to her sales pitch, and then ask "bottom line, what is this going to cost me from start to finish"?

Hi. Me again. I went online to see if i could give you some web sites. I searched under "Free Government Business Grants".

Some things became evident quite quickly.

I think it could be important to see what comes after the dot in the web address.

Is it

I think that will help you initially sort the wheat from the chaff.

Also, there were web sites that asked alot of personal information and THE WEB SITES WERE NOT SECURE! I DIDN'T SEE THE LITTLE LOCK SYMBOL AT THE BOTTOM OF MY MONITOR SCREEN. I definitely would not use any of those sites!

Sorry I don't have more information, I'm not that computer literate.

I think I'd inquire with the city to see if there is a volunteer group of businessmen who help entrepreneurs start up a business. I don't mean necessarily $ wise, I mean the "ins and outs", the red tape, the pit falls, access to legitimate grants, etc. I can't seem to think of the name of this org. at the moment.[This Message was Edited on 06/12/2007]
  3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

is the site I went to...............Iam starting to think I should not have filled out the info form!

Joyfully, What is the difference between .com .org and .gov?

thanks for trying to help me
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I'm no computer person, but I've heard my hubby tell me that .gov and .org are better sources than .com

I think .com means commercial
    I think .gov means government
    I think .org means an organization
    I think .edu is for schools (education)

You can see how limited my knowledge is about computers.

If i'm incorrect, please someone correct me. I think it is important what comes IMMEDIATELY after the dot in the web address. I'm talking about com, org, gov

I think that is the key. What is the first word immediately following the dot?

I found something that may be helpful. It was on yahoo answers/questions

I've copied it here:
    "Best Answer

Chosen by Asker

It is hard to find grants to start a business -- even for veterans. Unlike the myths that some perpetuate, federal government and even private foundations hardly give grant money for a for-profit business. And yes, grants mean PAPERWORK - lots and lots of it, that is why a cottage industry of grant writers was born. Nonetheless, you can go to the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) www ... and Grants.gov www ... - these are two sites created by the federal government to provide transparency and information on grants. Browse through the listings and see if you can find any grant that would support a for-profit venture. Even if you buy books on "how to get grants" or list that supposedly has information on grants -- all of them are mere rehash of what CFDA has, albeit packaged differently. But still the info is the same - hardly any grants for starting a for profit business. Even SBA does NOT give out grants. From the SBA website www ... "The U.S. Small Business Administration does not offer grants to start or expand small businesses, although it does offer a wide variety of loan programs. (See www ... for more information) While SBA does offer some grant programs, these are generally designed to expand and enhance organizations that provide small business management, technical, or financial assistance. These grants generally support non-profit organizations, intermediary lending institutions, and state and local governments." Here is a listing of federal grants for small businesses. See if there is any available for individuals for starting a business -- THERE'S NONE. 12 ... Most of the federal grants are given to specific target groups with specific requirements (e.g. minority business owners involved in transportation related contracts emanating from DOT - Grant#20.905 Disadvantaged Business Enterprises Short Term Lending Program Grants are also often given to non profit groups or organizations involved in training or other similar activities (grant 59.043 Women's Business Ownership Assistance that are given to those who will create women's business center that will train women entrepreneurs For private grants, you may want to check the Foundation Center's Foundation Grants for Individuals Online. It's a subscription based website ($9.95 per month) but their opening blurb only says that the database is ideal for "students, artists, academic researchers, libraries and financial aid offices." Entrepreneurs are apparently not one of them, so I take it they also don't have listings of private foundations who give grants to would-be entrepreneurs."

5. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

thankd for all the really good info.......hopefully one of these days soon I will get this figured out and get my bakery business up and running!

Thanks again