I need dog advice please

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Sep 1, 2007.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hey everyone- I recently bought a eletric golf cart so I can give my girls the excercise they need while I am down for 2-3 months with foot surgery, plus mommy likes it too :)

My problem is now I am venturing farther from home and there are no leash laws in the country where I live and everyone has a dog. I was chased by a pack of 5 dogs the other day, the girls were in the cart and we were going down hill, otherwise they would have caught us. Then I had to go home a different way because I can't out run them going up hill.

I did go back to the house in my car with out the dogs and they are freindly and one was questionable.

I am thinking about taking a spray bottle with me but I don't know if that water squirting would be enough. I don't want to hurt them. Would watered down vinager work?

Any suggestions? Thanks-Carla
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

This is such a Fun visual! with you Driving the golf cart and your 2 dogs with you,,,,,,and being chased by 5 dogs!,,,,,,lolol! i know it's not funny! sorry!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What a neat idea to get a golf cart!,,,,,,I think vingaer mixed with water should be ok for a spray,,,,,as long as you don't get it in their eyes!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But then again there's no way you can prevent that if the wind is blowin' ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would get a big stick and put it in the cart,,,,just to be safe!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,did you ever get a bark collar?,,,,,Hugs!,,,Sis,,,,,,,,,,,,,P.S.,,,love the photo of your Girls in your bio,,,,,Beautiful dogs,,,,
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2007]
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Alot of people suggested spraying the dog's face with a squirt bottle containing water and vinegar, or water and mouthwash, or water and ammonia.

There were also suggestions of mace, a whistle, one of those air horns.

I had a large dog start to circle me on my electric mobility scooter while holding my son's minature schnauzer. My schnauzer immediately ran to me to be picked up and protected the moment she realized this big dog was coming after us.

I kept yelling "no" and that dog kept circling me on my mobility scooter. I had the sole of my one shoe pointed directly at the dog in case it was going to attack. I stopped the scooter thinking that maybe standing still would stop the hunting instinct. It didn't work. The dog just kept circling us. I can't imagine dealing with 5 dogs at once.

I finally decided the only way to get away was to put my scooter at full power and charge right at the dog. It worked, but I was left very shaken. I think it was as much my attitude as it was the mobility scooter charging the menacing dog. My schnauzer refused to get off of my lap until we got back to my home.

4. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks ladies, I had some success tonight. A peice of wood about the size of a cane. Didn't have any real problem going down but I went back up and took control of it, slowed down and hit the stick on the side of the cart and they settled down.

There is one big dog, one medium, about the size of my two, then 3 smaller ones but think they are big dogs.

Joy you were right about the take control and show him you weren't scared. That is the worst thing you can do. Dogs go by body language and they have a keen sense. You show your are powerful they will back down. So far so good, tonight was one of the better nights.

Sis yep it is funny now. Here I am sitting in the middle, a dog on each side of me in the seat, going about 25-35 mph with a trail of dogs behind me. Let me tell you this little cart can fly going down. A little scary at first but now we all feel the need for speed,lol. We all have to a little fun in any way we can.

This was the best thing I could have done and am so gratfull I was able to. I will still walk after my surgery, but the cart allows me to go to other areas with more flat ground. Walking the hills is hard on me.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate you looking it up. I have been so busy trying to get every thing done before my surgery and learn to handle this cart and 2 dogs before the boot goes on I just haven't had a lot of computer time, so thanks-Carla
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm Glad your safe! lolol! the dog pack probably think it's fun to chase along behind if your goin that fast! lolol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I really need to get something like that! Wheres the fun in driving a car anymore! lololol,,,,I Hope everything turns out ok with your Foot!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,Sis
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I'm glad you all got home safe this time, next time you may not be as fortunate. There might be a mean dog or two in the pack next time. I think I would have to protect my kids and myself and carry pepper spray or mace. You do not want your beautiful children mauled by some vicious neighbor's dog, and it can happen. I live in a rural area, and have been thinking of riding my horse down the road. You can bet I won't do it without taking my 22 shotgun with me. You have got to protect yourself at all cost. People do not keep their dogs confined like they should.
    I would worry more about protecting my children than worrying about the saftey of the dogs. But that's just me and only my opinion, for what it's worth.

Take Care and Be safe! Your Friend, Kellyann
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

Things got better the last 2 rides, I used the stick on the side of the cart and they backed off. Then yesterday one of the came out of the grass as I slowed down a bit and went to bang the stick he ran right in front of me and I ran over him.

I felt soooooooooo bad, I could not stop that quick. When I turned around he went flying in the other direction. I did stop because there were people at the bottom, the house sits way down at the bottom of a hill.

He seemed ok so I did go on. But went back in my car ater I walked the dogs and he only had one mark on his front paw. The guy said only one dog was his the others that are strays that stayed. I the boy I talked to the other said it as well.

The man said he was taking them to the shelter because he could not take care of all 5. Today only 2 where there, the big one and the smallest one.

The good part is now my dogs don't react back when being chased, or when we see other dogs leashed, fenced or just loose but freindly. The dog whisperer training is working.

I am still feeling awful about the one I ran over. He is a beautiful tan/cream blue eyed husky. The owner was gone today, so I don't know if the dog didn't chase me today because he was sore or if the guy took them to the pound.

Thank you all for your wishes and advice, I really appreciate it.

Sis- that pic in my bio is one of a one after the other shots. They were playing with the rawhide and I just kept taking pic after pic and made a mini-movie on my computer of them. But that is my favorite pic of them. It's called Eye got my eye one you. Carla
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Carla - Looks like you've got the situation under control for now. I'm not sure that water would deter a determined animal or that pepper spray is what you want routinely. But I'd have something like it in the cart for those just in case times, even for you!

I just had to say again what a beautiful picture you have posted of the girls and the cart. I love it and hope you use it as your screensaver.