I need gardening advice.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UnicornK, May 23, 2006.

1. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I love to plant flowers, especially in the spring. Problem is...my knees can't get down there, or back up again. Between the FM and my arthritis, parts of my yard are starting to look like a tropical jungle. Hubby isn't the gardening type. Oh, he mows and prunes, but he's not really interested in the rest.

I know that there are gardeners here. Can someone give me advice for weeding, planting, etc? Please? Before I need a machete to get to the car? LOL

Thanks.

God Bless.
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

3. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I love gardening too, and I will answer this with a longer answer after I get dinner finished. Where are you? I am in WY with short growing season. I have to work around that. I have 2 acres and I understand what you mean about geteting up and down...Jana
  4. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I just love landscapers plastic. You cut it to fit the area, cut an X where you want a flower or plant, lay down 'seaper hose' then mulch or grass cuttings to cover it--and bingo, no weeds. The good stuff is guaranteed to be weed free for 5 years.

I also like the enviromentally safe spray weed killers. Just spray it on and it kills what you want to get rid of.

Gardening had been one of my favorite hobbies, but can't do much anymore. I'm thinking of hiring a school kid to do some of it so I can still enjoy it.

Good luck

Foggygirl
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have had a very hard time this year.I told my hubby I may not get a garden next year because its just getting to hard.I think I may do very large pots next year I wont have to dig in the ground and my hubby can cut around large pots.I also planted a lot of bulbs this year like tulips and Iris's so there is a green plant even when there is no longer blooms.
    Can you believe my grandmother lived til 96 and had a huge veggie garden and flower garden til she was in her 80's.I wish I would take after her.:)
  6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I like the plastic, and the drill.

I have a friend who likes to garden so I might infringe on her good will. LOL

Thanks everyone!

God Bless.
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

another one of my many loves gone by the wayside of FMS and CFIDS.

I can probably give you good advice but I love gardening so much that I won't take my own advice. It is the one thing that I still have trouble letting go of. I always, always overdo it in the garden. I must admit, however, that I'm not so fussy about the weeds this year. Try to get out as early in the day as your body will permit. Set a timer and stop when the timer goes off. Also, plant things that are low maintenance and grow well in your area of the country.

That's it..not much help, I know

Lolalee

8. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

There is a device like a small wagon that makes weeding and such easier. The one I have seen is like a small wagon with a flip top seat. Inside you put your tools to keep with you, but when the seat is down, you can sit on it.

This would give you a low place to sit and weed and plant and would also give you something to push up on if you did sit to the ground!

I have seen them in walmart and other major garden centers.
    Good luck

jenni
  9. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I love to garden..I have just spent 2 whole days out working in my flowers...Now I am just exhusted but I look out the window and I just love it...

If you use some of the advice here...there are some great ideas...but..get in under control and then when the weeds are little spray them with vinegar...It will kill them...Works great..

I have a stone walk in the back and it is so hard to keep the walk looking nice and it kills my knees to be on the stones...so I just have a spray bottle with vinegar in it and spray a little on them when they come up and in a couple of days they are dead...

Good luck to you...Just remember to pace yourself and drink lots of water!!

10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I really love to play in the garden too, but since this flare has lasted almost 2 years, I had to come up with a different plan.

Last spring (I had a few good days before it all crashed again) I did some research. I have a nice little book on plants and I sat down for a few hours with it.

I carefully chose Perinials (sp?) that would flower in spring or fall, and trees that flowered in spring that I liked looking at in the neighbor's yards. And they all came back again this year!!!

We've planted a few bulbs each fall that we've been in this house, so the area is getting prettier and bigger each year.

Then while weeding, I use a plastic stool that weighs nothing so I'm never on my knees in the garden. I use it for just about everything in the garden that I need to get down and reach. It helps my back and my knees and I couldn't do anything without it.

I do use the natural weed killer of vinegar, lemon juice and a bit of dish soap on my weeds and it works somewhat.

I know for me that I can't get it all done, there's just no way. So I do what I can to keep up, then I do a bit to make it look better each year by planting a few more things and I try to keep it nice the rest of the time.

I hope this helps a bit...

Nancy B.

11. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

This has been suggested by others, and without mine to push up with from kneeling, gardening would be impossible. I also use plants that come back each year and plug in a very few annuals for all summer color.

I have several raised gardens on a retaining wall that I put the most time into as I don't have to get down to ground level. I use these garden spaces for anything that takes time like little strawberries, etc.

Deer are my worst gardening enemies, but I love them at the same time..makes it tough to control them.

Containers on stands with swirly wheels on the porches work very well. I plant a couple of tomatoes in them too.

My favorite bush flower that takes up a lot of space and always looks beautiful is baby's breath. I use lots of it in the house too, and dry it for my christmas tree. It is light and airy and looks gorgeous anywhere as a big filler.

Jana