I need help but I don't know how to get it

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by dancer218, Nov 22, 2008.

1. dancer218

dancer218 New Member

3 years back I went through a pretty bad depressive episode, but I pulled myself out of it eventually without the help of therapy or meds. I thought that was the last of it, but a few months ago it came back. I find myself completely disinterested in nearly everything, irritable, and crying every day. I'm at the point where I know I need help, I don't want to deal with this on my own anymore.

I just don't know where to go. I graduated from college about 6 months ago, so up until then I went to the student health center whenever I had any medical problems. Since graduating I haven't gotten a doctor, so I don't have anyone I know and feel comfortable going to. I also have problems with anxiety, and the mere prospect of finding a doctor scares me. Things like making phone calls to schedule appointments causes me a lot of anxiety. On top of that, I don't even really know what type of doctor I should be looking for. Should I start by going to a general practitioner or should I go to a therapist or even a psychiatrist? I am terribly inept when it comes to easy things like scheduling an appointment with a doctor, so I would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through what I should do.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

First I suggest you go to your primary care doctor for a full physical and blood work to make sure you are okay and hormones are in order. If everything comes out okay, then ask for the name of a good psychiatrist for you to see. The psychiatrist will be able to talk with you, analyze you and diagnose you as to what ailments they believe you have. That's the start of dealing with mental health problems. Know that depression is not only a mental health ailment, but can be a symptom of regular medical problems (which is why you see the doctor first) AND can be symptoms of several other mental health ailments. It is also possible to have one or more mental health ailments at the same time. That is why it is important to get professionals to diagnose and start to help you.

If you believe you cannot describe what you are going through to the doctors and cannot be totally honest with them, then print out the post you have written here on this board and give it to them as it says it all. To get help you have to reach out to professionals for help (which may not be comfortable for you) and continue going to appointments even if you think they may not be helping you. If you must take medication, it can sometimes take 6 to 8 weeks for some of the meds to really take full effect so continue taking that medication and if it makes you feel funny or strange, don't stop the medication but instead call the doctor and let the doctor know how it makes you feel and let the doctor make the decision as to what should be done, if anything. Taking yourself off medications can be dangerous and some meds shouldn't be stopped abruptly.

Good luck and hugs.

3. gemini34746

gemini34746 New Member

I was on depression 6 month ago, and you now what get me out ReZoom from Transfer Factor. Was like a miracle, one or two shoots a day wake me up. Now I'm energetic I have less pain (due to Fibro). Try it you will see. Is true an real.