I NEED HELP FOR SWOLLEN FEET/ANKLES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by harmony21, May 31, 2007.

1. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

ANY REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN FEET/ANKLES????

MY DOC RECKONS ITS ONE OF MY MEDS WHICH SHE HAS TOLD ME TO STOP TAKING IN THE MEANTIME THOUGH WHAT CAN I DO?????

ANY HOME REMEDIES?????

ANGEL HUGS
    CONNIE
  2. as regards your swollen feet.now i lost alot of weight with bike riding.but my feet still were swollen.

now this is crazy,but true in my case.

i havent stopped having milk in my tea/coffee.but i have changed to the semi skimmed milk.

i started getting spots on my face,and i never get spots.psoriasis occasionally,but not any spots with white stuff in them.this started happening about two weeks into having skimmed milk.

then i notice that im not having fluid building up in my ankles.

i do get a bit of it swelling up in my knuckles though.

now i want to know why losing weight didnt take the ankle fluid away,but changing my milk,did.

it sounds crazy doesnt it.

im not resting any more than usual,so why did the fluid go?id had it for many years.

im well glad that it has gone though.

kind regards

fran
  3. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

AN TAKING LOW FAT MILK BUT NOT SKIMMED WILL GIVE IT A TRY, WHAT CAN I LOSE?????

THANKS

LOVE N HUGS
    cONNIE
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Connie:

I have had an off and on problem with swelling (edema).

I ended up on Lasix. I haven't have it since.

I would consult with a doctor.

nyrofan
  5. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

You can try soaking your feet in epsom salts and ginger (boil it). Both are good for inflammation, swelling, pain and this helps rid the toxins.
  6. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

It caused major swelling in my whole body including around my heart.

Suzette
  7. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

YES IAM ON LYRICA MY DOSAGE WAS UPTED BUT DOCTOR TOLD ME IT WAS MY BP MEDICATION AND WAS TOLD TO ELIMINATE IT,

I STILL THINK ITS THE LYRICA TOO THOUGH, MENTIONED IT TO HER AND SHE SAID NO, SO WHAT DO YOU DO????

THINK I WILL JUST NOT TAKE THE THIRD DOSE AND HOPE FOR THE BEST

IN THE MEANTIME THE DISCOMFORT IS DRIVING ME TO DRINK, WISH I COULD, ONE DOC TOLD ME TO DRINK A GLASS OF RED WINE, NIGHT TRY THAT AS WELL....

THANKS FOR THE EPSOM SALT HINT WILL TRY THAT TOO

GOD THANK YOU FOR THIS BOARD I SAY

HEALING LIGHT AND ANGEL HUGS TO YOU ALL
    CONNIE
  8. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I HAVE INCREASED MY WEIGHT IN THE LAST 9 MONTHS DUE TO THIS DD IE LESS ACTIVITY......

GUESS AM NOW CALLED OBESE!!!!!

cONNIE
  9. gnanny

gnanny New Member

vitamin b 6 can be helpful. My sister brought me some when I had told her about my swollen ankles.
    Drained the fluid right out of my feet and ankles.
  10. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

I went out and got me some grape extract!...excited to see what benifits I knowtice from it.

Hugzzzzz~ Dee
  11. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

Hello my dearest!

Sorry I haven't been on "our thread"! I was wondering how you did today!!!

So she took you off the Lyrica-I thought that was the cause of your swollen feet! What did she give you for your seizures? I'm glad you're off that stuff because it didn't seem to be helping with your seizures anyway. The Keppra is working really well for me, so maybe you could try it?

I would try soaking in some epsom salts (with lukewarm water) and then use some ice packs. I was taught that cold is good for swelling-particularly bags of frozen peas, as they shape to the body part you're putting them on. Will help soothe your poor feet, too. Maybe I'll do a little hunting on the internet and see what else I can come up with.

Enjoy that glass of wine. Have two glasses-one for you and one for me! ;)

Lots of love and hugs,
    Kat
  12. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

Connie,

Everything I read says that heat will make your swollen feet worse. Found some helpful info at:

http://beauty.iloveindia.com/foot-care/relieve-swollen-feet.html

Copied and pasted this from their site:

Relieve Tired & Swollen Feet

Your feet are the most used and abused part of your body. You are on your feet all day and you rarely think of consciously resting your feet or relieving your tired feet. Sometimes your feet may even swell because they are very tired. You must take some time out and relax and relieve your tired feet. Here are a few ways in which you can relieve your tired feet.

* If your feet are swollen then rest your feet above your head for about 10 minutes. To do this lie at right angles to a wall, or on a bed with your feet on the headboard or on the floor with your feet resting on the edge of a chair. The swelling will subside as trapped fluids travel back from your legs towards to your heart.
    * Dip your feet into a tub of cold water or sit on the side of the bath with your feet under a cold-water tap. After this put your feet up for a while.
    * Take cold drink cans from the fridge and roll your feet over them.
    * Squirt your feet with cooling foot spray. Buy one with mint; they are easily available at the chemists. Refrigerate them when the weather is hot.
    * You should treat yourself to a foot massage every week. Before you begin the massage, wear loose comfortable clothes and sit in a comfortable chair with your back supported. You can make your own foot massage solution at home. You need:

· 2 teaspoon of castor or jojoba or soybean or extra-virgin olive oil.
    ·3 drops of lavender essential oil.
    ·1 drop German chamomile essential oil.
    ·1 drop geranium essential oil.

Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and massage gently into your feet. Once you do this put your feet up for sometime. Wash your feet with a mild soap and apply nourishing cream on your feet

Sounds like it is well worth a try! If it works, you might want to pass the info along...

Hope this helps! Feel better honey!

Lots of love,
    Kat
  13. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

sorry I can never remember the names of those I need to thank.... I think it was Jam is grape extract the same flaxseed oil??????

thank you for the hints guys and kat arent you the sweeti, I have printed out the info, thnaks heaps

My feet and lower legs not as bad today but still very painfull, will certainly try the essential oil thing tonight.....

and yeah the cool is great thats why I sleep with my feet hanging out from under the doona, what a sight hey....
    hope it gives you all a giggle....

going to thread tomorrow, Kat I certainly understand somedays you only have the energy to just scan thru the posts let alone anything else.....

Am still on Lyrica sweeti they have taken me off BP meds called plendil, I have been on it for years

My gut feeling says its the Lyrica so am not taking the mid day one and see what happens....I will keep in mind

the keppra for future reference, isnt weird we are telling the docs what to do with us!!!!!!!

Am glad you faring well on the Keppra sweeti and have you made it a special time for mummy and daughter to have a nap together?????

k sweet lady thats it for today

love n angel hugs to you and your family
    Connie
  14. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

Connie,

I think it is the Lyrica, too. Although, they do say that you can develop an allergy to something you've been taking for a long time. It is possible, but it just seems like the Lyrica is the culprit.

I cringed when you said you're going to stop taking the mid-day dose, as I worry that you'll have more seizures, but then...the darn stuff isn't working well anyway!

I am oblivious when it comes to the Aussie heathcare, so please forgive me if this is an ignorant question. Can you go to a different neurologist? I think trying a different anticonvulsant is worth a shot. You've taken the Lyrica for long enough to determine that it isn't effective...

Haven't been napping with my daughter...her brother is home from school for the summer now, so I have my hands full with the two of them! I have had a very busy house lately!

Off to bed.

Lots of love and hugs,
    Kat
  15. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

TODAY, THINK THE COLD AND GERANIUM MASSAGE HELPED WITH THE DISCOMFORT AND I THINK THE PLENDIL MAY HAVE BEEN THE CULPRIT HOWEVER AM NOT SURE AS I ALSO STOPPED TAKING THE

MIDAY LYRICA, WILL GO BACK ON THE LYRICA 3 TIMES A DAY THIS WEEK AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS, THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT..

LUV N ANGEL HUGS BE WITH YOU
    CONNIE
  16. sits_inthe_corner

sits_inthe_corner New Member

Hi

I'm new to the ostio game...doc wont put me on meds...so I'm doing tylenol and a tsp of apple cidar vinager in a glass of water once aday ( google it there is a long list of benifits, but I just started it myself so I cant vouch for it just yet)...I lay on my bed twice a day with my feet up against the wall for 10 minutes. That really does releave the swelling...but I dont think it ever really goes away. lot's of ice packs....I live for ice packs...spt buddy got any spare ice packs?

I've been going to physio...he gives me some cruel but helpful exersizes...I hope to start the pool soon.
  17. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Connie

So sorry to hear of your problem. I have this also but mine is caused by some degree of heart failure. As a matter of fact, pitting edema or swelling of the feet and ankles is one symptom of congestive heart failure.

I am on a low salt diet per doctors orders. Salt causes your body to retain water. That makes it difficult for your heart.

I also have to take Lasix. If I don't, I get lots of clear congestion in/on my lungs and have lots of trouble breathing.

Elevating your feet above your heart as long and as many times a day as you can is very good for you as Kat mentioned.

Here is a very weird thing that I have been researching; dependent edema which is:
    -------------------------------

Dependent Edema

Swelling below the knees is called "dependent edema" which means water in the body is collecting at the lowest point -usually due to gravity - it is being pulled to that location.

If such a person were bedridden, for example, the fluid would collect on the side of the body usually in contact with the bed, the most "dependent" part. What this means is that fluid is not staying inside cells but is going to the space between cells.

It has a differential diagnosis (meaning it could be any of these) as follows (in the order of frequency): (1) calorie overload (overeating), especially of carbohydrates such as sweets, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, (2) kidney disease, (3) heart disease, (4) venous insufficiency.
    --------------------------------

This is the weird part; I wake up feeling like a dung pile...really terrible. Every morning without fail. I think I sleep on the left side of my body due to unconscious habit.

When I awake, the left side of my body feels hot and strange. The area of pain forms a very irregular or asymmetric pattern. I believe it has to do with the fluid in my body settling into the lowest parts of my left side. Wild eh?

How is your BP after you stopped your BP medicine?

Cheers aye :)

Andy

18. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

OH MAN I DONT WANT TO KNOW, AM A PERSON IN DENIAL MOST OF THE TIME.....

DONT KNOW HOW BP IS GOING TO GO ANDY, I HAVE HAD HIGH BP FOR 20 YEARS AND IT HAS NEVER BEEN CONTROLLED WITH MEDS

IN THE LAST 18 MONTHS IT HASNT BEEN A PRIORITY AS I WAS IN SUCH A MESS WITH DEPRESSION, PAIN AND FATIGUE, RE BEFORE DIAGNOSIS

BUT BECAUSE OF SWELLING SHE TOOK IT AND OFCOURSE IT WAS HIGH!!!! WHAT ELSE IS NEWS. I HAVE A HORRID FAM HISTORY,MY DAD HAD HEART ATTACH AT 45 AND DIED AT 49

MY MUM HAD STROKE HAD 38, THEN HAD OTHER STROKE AT 67 THAT TOOK HER LIFE.

AS FOR MY KIDS, THEIR DAD OF HEART FAILURE AT 44. WHAT HOPE DO THEY HAVE HEY????

SWELLING IS BETTER AM PUTTING COLD COMPRESSES AND SOAKING IN EPSOM SALTS......ALSO MASSAGING WITH GERANIUM ESSENTIAL OILS

HOPE YOU FELL BETTER AND WISHING YOU HEALING LIGHT AND ANGEL HUGS

CONNIE
  19. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

INTERESTING WILL CHECK INTO IT WITH THE HEALTHFOOD SHOP, I THINK THOUGH THAT ITS BOTH TEND TO PROCLAIM MANY BENEFITS

OF THE SAME LEVEL AS DOES PRIMROSE OIL, STRRFLOWER EXTRACT AND OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT.....

FISH OIL AND COD LIVER OIL ALSO HAVE HEAPS OF BENEFITS OF THE SAME LEVELS.....MAN AM I HAVING TROUBLE TYPING WHAT I WANT TO SAY, THINK ITS TIME FOR A BREAK......

ONE THING I LEARNED THOUGH IS I HAVE BEEN DOUBLING MY INTAKE OF GOOD OILS AM TAKING OLE AND FALXSEED OIL WHEN I REMEMBER THAT IS!

THANKS JAM FOR PRODDING THE AWARENESS

LUV AND ANGEL HUGS
    CONNIE
  20. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Connie I found this information on chronic venous insufficiency. You should read probably it when you have time :)

Arteries bring oxygen-rich blood from your heart to the rest of your body. Veins return oxygen-poor blood back to your heart. When your leg veins cannot pump enough blood back to your heart, you have chronic venous insufficiency (CVI).

CVI is also sometimes called chronic venous disease, or CVD. You have three kinds of veins, superficial veins, which lie close to the skin, and deep veins, which lie in groups of muscles. Deep veins lead to the vena cava, your body's largest vein, which runs directly to your heart. Perforating veins connect the superficial to the deep veins.

When you walk and your leg muscles squeeze, the venous pump works well. But when you sit or stand, especially for a long time, the blood in your leg veins can pool and increase blood pressure. Deep veins and perforating veins are usually able to withstand short periods of increased pressures.

However, sitting or standing for a long time can stretch vein walls because they are flexible. Over time, in susceptible individuals, this can weaken the walls of the veins and damage the vein valves, causing CVI.

continued at:
    http://www.vascularweb.org/_CONTRIBUTION_PAGES/Patient_Information/NorthPoint/Chronic_Venous_Insufficiency.html