I need help obtaining SSD...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by iconracr, Jul 30, 2003.

1. iconracr

iconracr New Member

I haven't even started yet. I fear the battle and not too user I am up for it.

Could some of you let me know what to do?

Do you obtain an attorney first?

How do you document?

I am not insured and doctors are getting costly. DH owns a small business and we don't quality for insurance (under 10 employees). And I need some help around here. Financially things are bad for us. I try to do what I can but most of the time DH has to take over after he gets home after 10 hours on the job.

My email address is iconracr@ij.net ANY suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, Cheryl
  2. iconracr

iconracr New Member

That is exactly what I need to hear. I have read everything about SSD on this site.

But, what I need to hear is how is done by someone who does it.

Let me ask you, could you have contacted an attorney earlier? Or was that just the right time?

Thanks again, Cheryl
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

You can talk to an attorney before you apply, but you can't hire one until you've been denied.

When you're ready to apply, just call Social Security. They'll ask you for basic info then send you forms to fill out. One tip I don't think I've seen on this board is to first type your answers on the computer, then transcribe them to the forms. Of course, I'm not sure this is always a good idea as mine looked neat and organized by doing it that way, and that's not the way my brain works anymore....
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

First I want to let you know that it is possible to hire an attorney for SSDI as soon as you begin the process. The attorney may not get too involved at that point, butI hired mine before I had completely finished filling out the paper work they sent me following my application. This was long before a denial.

I keep a notebook that I write in daily. In it I chart things that are important for my health. I also include increased pain, days that I felt better, fatigue levels, when I stated a new med or stopped an old one. I also include my BP readings because I have Neurally Mediated Hypotension and despite my doc's best efforts it seems to be stuck and not improving.

Time Activities BP Pulse Notes
    Sleep
    AM
    PM
    Eve.
    Sleep
    AM
    PM
    Eve.
    Sleep
    AM
    PM
    Eve.

I made a page on my computer that has room for four day's worth of info. I then divided each day into four parts: Sleep, which need the least space, AM, PM, and evening. Then I have a place to write my activities for the day and a place for other info. Sometimes I need to write in the margins also, but usually it will fit into the alotted space.

Have you been employed for five out of the last ten years? If not you will only be allowed to apply for SSI, which has pretty strict income and other financial guidelines.

I wish you luck. As you've probably read it can be a long battle. Mine has been going on for over a year and I have been waiting since June for a hearing date. Some are luckier and are approved sooner. I think it varies by state.

Barbara
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I was always told I had to be denied first. Of maybe that's for private disability? (Had a lawyer for the first before I applied for SS.) Or maybe it's changed? Or maybe I'm just confused....