i need help with ideas

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by nmac1999, Jan 7, 2003.

1. nmac1999

nmac1999 New Member

can anyone out there help me develop a list of home-based activities for my mother, who is stage 5 - 6 with alzheimer's? i would be happy to compile all the ideas and share them! i'm looking not so much for stuff to purchase, eg, special activities designed for people with the disease (i/we can find those on the web), but just everyday things to do around the house.

my mom is driving my stepfather bonkers, and i just want to provide him with a list that he can refer to when the going gets rough.

God bless,
  2. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Hi Nancy,
    My mother has dementia along with other health problems, but she is in a nursing home, so I can't help you out too much there..
    But there is a wonderful ALZ Board here, Just go to the top and click on Message Boards, and then click on ALZ..
    That board has a lot of very kind, helpful people that share their ideas and are caring for their loved ones at home..I'm sure they will be able to come up with some ideas for you...
    Best Of Luck.......Take Care...........Donna
  3. nmac1999

nmac1999 New Member

my mom has since gone into a facility, but thanks for the idea, i will pass it on to the the staff there!

4. WorriedDaughter1

WorriedDaughter1 New Member

My mom enjoys looking through old poto albumns, the jewelry box, old dress patterns, buttons and fabric, singing songs she knows from an old hymnal. Maybe that kind of thing would be helpful for you.

My main problem is keeping the ball rolling. She's willing to do most activities for about 5 minutes, then wants to go lay in bed again. She's lost the initiative to do anything and is resistant to many suggestions. It's difficult to be shot down so frequently. But we must celebrate our successes!

Good luck.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you click on Message Boards, it will bring up a menu of all our boards. They may be able to help you with this. Best of luck.

Love, Mikie