I Need Help with My Cat

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Nov 12, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My beloved kitty Lucky is now 18 months old and, as you all know, I adore him. However, in the past few months he has been chewing on the wood furniture. Today, he chewed off tip of the footboard of my relatively new wood bed and all the elevated corners of my wall unit are shot from him chewing on them. Needless to say, I am exasperated and confused by this behavior. Does anybody have any idea why he is doing this and does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this behavior? Help!!

2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

and found some people talking about it at

I must warn you, you'll probably have more company than answers.

Good Luck,
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Try a good hefty scratching post that has a strong wooden bottom to scratch and some carpet on it or sisel rope to claw. My cats are older but still want to claw like crazy, but they don't claw at things because they have cat carpeted furniture to run and jump up on and all the cat furniture has sisel rope legs or legs that are designed for clawing--they really use that stuff. You can get them started by playing with them on it so they get the idea that it is fun to chase fake mice onto the scratching posts or whatever you have. Good luck.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Stick the tape on things she chews on and she will get caught on the stickiness...might not be too fun for her. I don't know. Worth a try.

I go along with the good, hefty scratching post. My cat love his and as long as he has one around, he doesn't scratch on anything else. No clawed furniture, no chewing, no nothing.

If he doesn't have one, he will claw the carpeting...not the worst thing, but not the best either. Oh, kitties. Such personalities.

Best of luck.

5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I think I will try the lemon juice.

He does have a scratching post but I don't see how that will help..he is not scratching anything at all, just biting, and he is only biting things with a somewhat sharp or defined corner. I did some reading on the internet and there were several references to this type of cat behavior occuring between 18-24 months and itis almost always due to teething. He is going to the vet tomorrow for his monthly nail trim, so I'll see what the vet suggests.

Thanks again for the responses.

6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I once had a cat who chewed cardboard, book corners, paper of all kinds. I was always finding things shredded all over the house!

I bought her some cat chew stick treats, but of course she preferred the paper goods!
  7. SerenityPheonix

SerenityPheonix New Member

there are these double sided sticky sheets that you can buy at pet stores. this causes cats to not want to be stickyd so to speak.

make sure you have plenty of scratching posts or doorknob hanging sctrach pads available to her. spray these with catnip to attract her attention.

use lemons by rubbing the outer peeling on the surfaces or squeeze the peels till they squirt the surfaces with that same thing.

all of my cats are trained with a water squirt bottle. when undesired behavior happens...one or two squirts of water discourages without harm or pain. i only have to reach for or pick up my water bottle now and they instantly run off whatever it was they were going to do. it really works and doesnt take long.

i hope you find something helpful here and good luck to you
  8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

he claims that my cat is not teething and, in this case, scratching posts would be useless as I suspected. My cat has one anyway, and we keep it in plain sight for him. The vet claims that the cat is "marking his territory" since he is only chewing on two specific pieces of furniture that he regularly sits on and dominates.

The vets recommendation is the product called "Bitter Apple." (I keep thinking of a product they used to use years ago to get little kids to stop biting their fingernails called Bitter Alice.) Anyway, vet claims this product should do the trick, so I will buy some tomorrow and see what happens.

9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I forgot about that....I have some that I used to keep my dog from licking and chewing on herself when she had a bandage on her leg.

I'll have to remember that if my kittenmen decide to start eating the furniture!