I need help with sleep...suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momXtwo, Dec 16, 2005.

1. momXtwo

momXtwo New Member

I just came from the FFC in Dallas, and was prescribed Klonopin and Ambien CR for sleeping at night. I also take Lexapro which supposedly helps in sleeping, so I have been taking it at night in the hopes that it will aid in restful sleep.

I am getting no sleep. I mean, truthfully, if I AM sleeping, it sure doesn't feel like it. I am so frustrated right now because of course it affects my energy level, as well as my pain.

I may be wrong to write a separate post but I don't feel like I EVER get rest. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
  2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

If you can try sleeping a couple of hrs during the day. I don't get much sleep in the evening don't know y but I find I can get a restful sleep during the day for a couple of hrs.
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Maybe you need a different med. I tried the ambien and although I went to sleep easily I was back awake in two hours every time I tried to take it.

Now I take Lunesta, it works better for me.
  4. momXtwo

momXtwo New Member

Jakeg, I am scared to do that because I'm afraid that then I won't have a chance in heck of sleeping. I may try that anyway though, because that could be the only sleep I get.

Oh, and I have tried Lunesta. It really wreaked havoc on me -- it made me anxious, and I awakened several MORE times during the night, wide eyed and bushy tailed. LOL Then I realized that the horrid taste in my mouth was coming from it. That was enough for me to lay it to rest.

I DO appreciate your comments and suggestions.

MomXtwo
  5. lolee

lolee New Member

I never slept more then 1 to 2 hours and never deep sleep. Doctor put me on Zoloft for help with the Seratonin and I also take 3mg of Melatonin, the Melatonin REALLY does the trick for me. I may wake up 2-3 times a night still, but the quality of sleep has improved immensly. Plus I fall back to sleep quicker. One night last week I actually slept for 7 hours STRAIGHT through! I almost blacked out when I realized it! LOL!

Also, and this may sound weird to some, but anyone who is has dealt with menapause will so totally understand . . . . but I sleep with an ice gel pack in the bed with me and a heating pad also. This way with just a roll I can either get cooled down or warmed up . . . .works wonders for me.

Try all the ideas and something WILL work!

Hugs!
  6. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Try it. It may work for you and limit the amount of meds that you need to take to sleep. I know the feeling of not being able to sleep while everybody else in the house is. Usually go to bed around 10 PM and am able to sleep until 3:00 to 4:00 AM. I've always been an early riser though. Typicaly the hrs from 5:00 AM to about 11:00 AM are about the best I have all day, then I laydown on the sofa and watch the atfernoon news(very easy to fall a sleep to)and usualy wake up when the kids get home. Hope you find the right schedule for you needs.

Jake
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

MomX2:
    Why not call the FFC in Dallas and report back to them.
    They could quite possibly work with you in a soulution if you give them feedback.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  8. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

The first sleep med they gave me at the FFC in Atlanta was Xyrem. Its a very strong drug and you have to be in bed when you take it. You will fall asleep, believe me.

You can also take it along with other meds that you take at night. I take mine along with Sonata (4 hour sleep med) because I like the feeling of being sleepy when I take the Xyrem. You don't even have to feel sleepy for the Xyrem to work. I also take Flexeril at night. Of course, you would want to run all that by your doctor.

There's been a good bit of discussion on here about Xyrem if you want to do a search.

Sandy
  9. libra55

libra55 New Member

Momxtwo, I have terrible sleep issues too, it goes with FM and CFS unfortunately. I wasn't sleeping at all around Thanksgiving; now my sleep is a little better. Here are some things I do and sometimes they help and sometimes they do not but here goes;

If I am tired during the day I lay down for a nap but not longer than one hour.

I dont eat anything after dinner (which is usually around 6 but maybe a little later, the point is that's the end of it for the evening's food consumption). I drink a lot of fluids during the day (doctor's orders) but limit these also at night to reduce bathroom trips.

I dont watch TV close to bedtime. Especially the news or anything upsetting. There are too many "boogeyman" and crime shows on. I might catch the weather for the next day if I need to travel but that's it.

I tend to be cold at night, I have a little Pelonis heat cube that I use to warm the room up an hour before bedtime. I also sleep with a hot water bottle.

I get up the same time every day, regardless, and I try to get to bed the same time every night. I do better with consistency.

I dont drink caffeine after 3pm.

Last when all else fails I take a Restoril (which I don't particularly care for) which sometimes will break the insomnia cycle for a few days or even a week. It gives me a hangover and bad taste so I reserve it for desperate situations.

(((((Hugs)))))))
    Michelle
  10. cczub

cczub New Member

I'm fairly new to this. Symptoms started showing around March of this year. I've had sleep issues for the past 4 months. The last 4 weeks have been a killer and I'm really starting to feel the effects of it now.

I can fall asleep with no problems, staying asleep is another issue.. I was put on Lexapro and Xanax to help with the sleep and it didn't work. Now I'm on Lunesta, the doctor gave me 1mg pills which do squat. I take them every other day at 2mg and it still does almost nothing. If I sleep for 1 1/2 striaght, that's a good night. I usually go to bed around 10 but some nights I"m falling asleep by 8.

The pain level has increased drasticly over the past 4 weeks, I'm now very dizzy and light-headed and am having alot of trouble concentrating including speaking and typing...

I am convinced that the lack of sleep is at the heart of the problem for me and truely believe that I could truely start feeling better if I could get some decent sleep.