I need help with ssdi forms.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wildflowers2, Apr 17, 2007.

1. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Hi, I have ssdi forms to fill out and I cant find the message on pro health reguarding what we could do b4 for this dd and what we can only do now..any help would be appreciated.

Brain fog and cant remember who posted it .

thank you
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

I'm bumping a thread for you. It might be the one you're looking for. It was started by LouiseK, who just recently finished her application.

I hope it helps.

BTW, do you have CFS or Fibro?
  3. ephemera

ephemera New Member

bumping for wildflowers2
  4. wrthster

wrthster New Member

If I can make a suggestion, please hire a lawyer. It is a long and difficult process. Some will take someone from the very begining.
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Check out the website "disabilitysecrets.com" -
  6. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I'm just finishing mine now. I have a lawyer who is very mediocre at best. I think they were very lazy and wanted to send the forms in very half-baked because they get ALL the business from my disability insurance company who more or less told me I had to use them. They don't care about winning my particular case.

Nevertheless, I pretty much did everything myself up to and including the filing. I prefered reviewing my own medical records and filling out my own essay sections telling my own story. I also drafted a medical report which my doctor put on her letterhead and signed and wrote a personal statement which was very relaxed and didn't say "I can do this for five minutes and that for two". To me that sounds phoney. I also decided which medical information I wanted to send them to start the file. I assume the "deciders" are just like everyone else with short attendion spans and are going to make a snap decision and then look for back up to that decision so I wanted to send them not too much at first but just what I thought made my case.

I understand that after you file they send more forms and specifically ask you about how long you can sit or type so all that can come later.

Check out the forms online. You might not think it is that hard. The hardest thing is finding out stuff like the date of a divorce from 20 years ago but the lawyers don't do that for you anyway.

As to what you can and can't do -- you can find all that mumbo-jumbo on the SS website about "severe" conditions and not being able to work 8 hours a day and all that. It's all there.

Don't be scared if you can't get a lawyer to take your case; you really can do it yourself if you put your exhausted mind to it and think it over carefully. You can also go into an office and they will do it for you but that sounds like the worst idea on earth to me. I really wouldn't want my application in THEIR WORDS. They are the enemy if I'm not mistaken . . .

Good luck. Yuk.
  7. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

thnak you all for writing. I have a lawyer but, they do not fill out the daily living form I have to.
    And boy , has it changed since 3 years ago!.(UGH)

I have a host of health problems. cfs/fm, multiple chemical sensitivity, hearing impaired, hypothroidism, IBS, tinnitus,anexiety, deperssion,GERD,PTSD.short term memory loss.(probably a few more it's early )

I could kick myself! I saw the post a week or so back and it was a long one and I said to myself 'I can remember where it is"....

if someone selse can chime in I would appreciate it.

again thanks...
  8. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I found Swedeboy's posting back in 2/24/07 helpful with symptoms. I hope he doesn't mind me referring you to it.

Good Luck , I'm in the reconsideration phase myself.
  9. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I did a search and I can not find his post..ugh..I looked a 2-24-07

nothing......could you please help me with this?? I did read alot of his posts though..thank you so much for helping~~~!!!
  10. mezombie

mezombie Member

Is that it? If so, I just bumped it so look for it on the first page of the message board. It's under my username.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/18/2007]
  11. sharoncookie

sharoncookie New Member

I am old enought to get SS. Can I get more with having FM and other illness's I realy cant live on what I already get? Thanks for any help.
  12. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

NO!, you only get awarded for your disability.

And you must have all medical documents to prove you are disabled with the symtoms. they do not give you more money for having additional illness.
  13. mezombie

mezombie Member

Check out LouiseK's "help needed SSDI" thread, which is now on page two. A lot of people gave good examples of what to write to explain the impact this DD has on your ability do anything, including work.
  14. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I want to thank everyone who has helped me.

Where I get stuck is. I haven't been (laughing) Normal since 2004 when everything went down hill fast.

So, what I did b4 and what I can do now is some ways is
    'automatic',,,,I am sure the rest of you know this feeling.

What I am trying to do is the daily living things that
    I dont even think of. One person said 'how do you cook meals?"

I said...I used to cook great meals and be able to stand for hours on end . now I throw something easy in the crock pot and we have it for a week at a time.

or I can't open jars as I do not have the strenght anymore.

things I used to take for granted.

thank you all so much again!

Wildflowers2

15. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Gosh, I can't trust my memory at all , even for a minute!
    I'm sorry about that.
    Try a search for Swedeboy's post for 1/24/07.
    Hope I'm right this time.!
  16. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

17. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I filed for disabiltiy in Feb of 06 and in Feb of 07 I was approved and had my money with in a week of the phone call. I did n't use a lawyer to help me with this. I did it on my own.

I had filed the year before but they misfiled my papers adn I had to redo them. So I was really surprised to get this phone call on VAlentines day this year. The man said that i had quailfied for Disabilty and told me just how much I would get in my lump sum and all I could say to him was " NO ONE GEts disabilty on the first attempt." He replied that more than you think do. I was so shocked at this and I still am. I am gratefull that I did get it as it came at a great time when i needed it the most.

I would get a lawyer too as they do help inmore ways than you know. I was just lucky to get it on my own. I have no clue as to what they decieded my disbailty was it was not on any of the forms that they sent me.

Good luck with this and take any help you can get. as it is a long process
    Thanks for the listen
    ~HUGS~
    Rosemarie
  18. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Your lawyer should work with you on the forms. If not, fire them. My laywer took a lot of info over the phone even though I filled out the forms. I think a good lawyer will understand your situation. If you want her name and number let me know.
  19. iforgetto

iforgetto New Member

I got it my frist try(luck&4pounds of records).I did have help from a nurse that was use to filling out Gov. forms!!Like somebody allready said get all your records they say they will get them but they don't and sent them regesterd mail so somebody has to sign for them !!!Make copys of every thing for your own records(You will be fileing these over and over) and they miss place things all the time don't trust them!!!!!!!!!!!Don't let any Doctors office tell you you can't have your records it the law!!Best wishes!!Here are some sites with info!Oh try to find help filling out form this is a bigie!
    http://www.disabilitydoc.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-and-d/
    http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/3487/t/CFIDS_FM
    http://www.immunesupport.com/disability/faq.cfm
  20. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

wr......no lawyer is fine,,they cant fill out my daily living info..we have too.