I need hugs, Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilaclover30, Mar 13, 2006.

1. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have been off of the board for a while, not because of an issue, but because things are in a turmoil for hubby and me.

The last of Jan. his psa was elevated and he had a biopsy. The results came back with prostate cancer. I was soooo scared. He has had a bone scan and i am thanking the God Lord that it has not spread to the bones. We saw the oncologist last week. Tomorrow he goes back for a simulation, a long test to pinpoint the exact spot.

He will have radiation five times a week for NINE weeks. We have to travel 100 miles round trip each day. He will drive as long as possible, then I will drive as long as I am able. We have so many dear friends in our church that have offered to drive him when he needs it.

Life has been busy too, too busy for when I FEEL that I can't go on. Our daughter took us to our granddaughters, a long drive, to celebraat hubby's birthday. It was in and out of the van over and over. We stayed for 3 days and I was sick by the time we got home and this illness never left my mind.

The next week we drove 120 mi. to our grandson and his bride's reception (married New Year's eve). We had a great time but------it was always there on our mind. We had told no one but close friends. I was soooo tired and hurting.

Our children now know but----the boys and families live 120 mi. away and are not too concerned. Our daughter who lives 345 mi. is so sweet and concerned and I am sure that she will be down when possible. I have no idea what the side effects will be. i pray for something good to happen. I have always been his caregiver but this is more that I have done since I have had all of these nasty ailments.

I pray each night for the strength I will need.

That is my story since lateJan. I know this is long but i want all of you, my dear friends to know.

Give me some strength and some prayers and some hope in all of this. I love all of you.

Gentle Hugs,

joan
  2. mom4three

mom4three New Member

Joan,
    I do not know you but I will pray for you and your hubby. Here is a hug for you
    ((((( ))))))
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

many prayers for you and your husband. I am thankful you have a strong support sysytem. Hang in there.

Sue
  4. pamsue

pamsue New Member

Hi Joan,

So sorry for your troubles

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))

For you and your family.

pamsue
  5. day2day

day2day Member

I really hope things turn around in no time.

I have included a link for the Prostate cancer foundation, maybe there will be some helpful information for you on there.

http://www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/site/pp.asp?c=itIWK2OSG&b=46403

hope this helps
    day2
  6. CarolK

CarolK New Member

I cannot say I know exactly what you are going through... but let me say this... I went through open-heart surgery for my husband with FM/CFS... and I had to lean upon the Lord 1,000%!!

If ever there was a time to throw yourself upon His great love and mercy and grace... it is now. Believe Him to give you the grace for each and everyday... each and every moment.

He gave me the grace I needed to make it through and I know he will do the same for you!! Remember He is no respector of persons!! What He does for one of His kids, He must do for another. He loves you just as much as He loves me!! You must ask for and then believe you receive the grace to make it through each and every day!!

Speak grace over your situation everyday... proclaim the Lord's victory over this attack upon your hubby's health. God is a good God.. He will never leave you or forsake you and He will uphold you!! He sustained me through the crisis my wonderful Husband and I went through... and I know he will do the same for you!!

Remember to come to Him as a little child... asking and believing in faith that He will do what His Word says He will do!! Pray and make your stand in faith based upon His Word... HIS WORD WORKS!! AND DO NOT GIVE INTO FEAR!! FEAR IS YOUR ENEMY... REFUSE TO FEAR!!! SAY THAT OUT LOUD... I REFUSE TO FEAR!!

I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU JOAN! BLESSINGS AND SOFT HUGS... CAROLK

PS.. JOAN... also know that this is a time a testing for you. Stay built up upon the Word of God.. find scripture that covers your situation and then PRAY THE ANSWER... PRAY THE DESIRED RESULTS!! YOU have heard what the doctors have had to say... NOW PROCLAIM WHAT GOD HAS TO SAY ABOUT YOUR SITUATION! DECREE THE WORD OF GOD OVER YOUR HUSBAND, YOURSELF AND YOUR WHOLE LIVES!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2006]
  7. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I will be praying for both you and your husband to have the strength to fight this horrible disease.

Please post a prayer request on the worship board, it is back up and running.

Love,
    Lindy
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I can only give you some hope by telling you my brother is a 10 year survivorbladder/prostate both removed.

Love Anne C
  9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

My uncle survived this and is doing well today. He was probably older than your husband when he had the same treatment. I'm saying big prayers and a big hug (not too big cause it would probably hurt, right?)
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and prayers being sent your way.I would say more but having trouble typing.Linda
  11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Bump for more dear hugs
  12. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I am sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. My Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2002 and had surgery in 2003. I flew out to be with him while he was in the hospital, my stepbrother took care of him once he returned to his home in Colorado. So far, his PSA (the "magic" number with prostate cancer) has been 0.

My sister's father-in-law also was diagnosed with prostate cancer and he had surgery AND radiation when his post-surgical PSA was too high and has been in remission since.

Cancer is a very scary word, but with a negative bone scan he should do very well. Side effects of radiation in particular can be extreme exhaustion but from what I understand, it doesn't kick in right away, but after a couple of weeks.

Urinary problems, nerve damage and erectile dysfunction are the big potential side effects, but in the hands of a radiation oncologist, these should be minimized, same as they would be with a skilled surgeon.

I think the most difficult thing for a man to come to terms with is that his "manhood" is at stake. Also, the hormones that they give to "pre-shrink" the tumor (Lupron) will turn the most steadfast "rock" of a guy into a weepy pile of mush. That was the hardest thing for me - my Dad will tell you that hands down, his biggest concern was his penis; MY biggest concern was making sure he did everything he was supposed to do post-op and to try to keep his nurses happy. Not the "ideal patient", my dad, especially on Lupron!

All you can do is take things one step at a time. Try not to project into the future too much - then things can be very overwhelming with all the "what-ifs". This is very treatable and it was caught at a good time.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie