I need more pain relief. Anyone have suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Oct 14, 2008.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

I am currently on Percocet 10/325 qid, ultram 50 qid, soma qid, and ativan 4mg at bedtime.

I really am not getting much pain control now. Forget about sleeping, I can't do that.

What I wish I had was something to take when I get a really have a bad flare. The percocet and ultram do not help. I have been on so many drugs over the past few years.. no help.

Fentanyl patch
    You name it, I think I have been on it.

I was wondering about dilaudid. Does anyone have any experience with it?

What I would like is some kind of knock out drug so when that horrible pain comes, I can just got to sleep.

Any help is so greatly apprecited.

God Bless
  2. chyrel

chyrel New Member

I don't have have any good advice for you, I just have the same problem. I would love a pain free day and a "good" nights sleep!!

3. mindblower

mindblower New Member

I can relate to chronic pain and the failure of many pain meds. like you've tried. It sounds like dilaudid would be a reasonable thing to try, but I might try a multi-pronged approach with different pain pathways if you haven't done so already.

I'm surprised you're not taking some low dose safe AD like Elavil as it can both help sleep and lesson some of the pain by a different mechanism from the meds. you list. Then too, regular exercise such as walking or running, if you can manage one or both of these, helps keep pain lower than without them.

One explanation for this benefit is excercise helps increase production of testosterone, which helps pain tolerance. Then one last possibility for pain treatment is what's called safe ultra-fast-pulse electroconvulsive therapy(ECT).

There is literature for FM that shows significant pain reduction using ECT and this newest form of ECT has no cognitive side effects yet preserves the effectiveness of traditional ECT. Probably not a lot of treatment centers are using it yet, but if push comes to shove and you think you want to give this treatment a shot, I'm sure a place can be found somewhere that could administer it for you.

[This Message was Edited on 10/15/2008]
  4. ggks

ggks New Member

This is what I do. It helps me quite a bit. Maybe you are already doing it.
    I take a Calcium citrate capsule about 2 hrs before I go to bed and I have started taking 2000 mg of vitamin D3. I do not take the D3 all at once I spread it out during the day.
    I was at the Dr's yesterday and was telling him this and he said there has been some studies that I was right in what I was doing and to keep it up. Since I had told him about it before and he didn't say it was right or wrong, I was really surprised when he agreed with me.
    Hope this helps a bit.
  5. meowee

meowee New Member

I did not mention that I am also taking LExapro daily.

I have been on lyrica, cymbalta, klonopin and elavil in the past with no relief.
  6. libbyann

libbyann New Member

I am new on the board, but I was reading your post, and find it hard to believe you are able to get to try that many pain meds. Where I am from it is almost impossible to get anything for pain from a doctor.

You are blessed, and don't know it. I am glad for you, that you are getting pain meds.
    Hope you can find something that will help.

God Bless
  7. meowee

meowee New Member

PLEASE try to get into a pain clinic. I had no help from rheumies or neuros. My family dr. got me into the pain clinic and they really try everything to get you to a place where you can function someway near normal.

God bless
  8. poets

poets Member

I've tried lots of things, but very few doctors will give me any narcotics. So I can't say a whole lot about many of the drugs you mention. When I broke my back, I was put on a PCA and the Dilaudid really did seem to help. It's been the best drug I've been on so far.

Most of the time I'm on nothing. Doctors around here don't like to give you much, and I've really done some suffering lately. I've almost been bedfast. It wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor about it. I wish you the best, and really feel for you.

Gentle Hugs,
  9. meowee

meowee New Member

Thank you so much. I am sorry you are having trouble getting properly medicated. I know how bad the pain is and I am in bed a great deal of time, too.

I hope a pain clinic is in your area. If so, please contact them. They seem more equipped to handle FM.

GOD bless YOU
  10. meowee

meowee New Member

yes, I have been taking that for 2 years now, plus magnesiun. Not much seems to help.

I sure appreciate all of your nice comments.
    God BLess and THank you.
  11. thenewme

thenewme New Member

Hi, I have not posted in a while but I read post everyday, I was diagnosed in june 2006, since then I have been on vicoden for pain. The pain eventually got alot worse so my doc put me on oxycontin 1 tab every 12hours, this is a slow realse pain med and I also had to keep takeing vicoend every 4-6 hours for breakthrough pain

This did help for about 3 months and then the pain started to get worse then ever, I could hardly unbend myself in the morning and get out of be. I tryed to wait this pain out for 3 weeks but could not do it no more, I hate that I have to be on pain meds, but if I do not I will be a cripple.

So my doctor suggested I try morphine slow realese tabs 15mil 1 in morning 1 at night and vicoden for breakthrough, I am also on the highest dose of Effexor, and take trazodone for sleep which works wonderfull, I still have pain but I am able to function with it. My problems that I still deal with is the flue like symptoms, achyness, body hurts and is still stiff, nmbness, nausea, but atleast I have a handle on the horrible pain.

I still am unable to work or function like I used to, because I am exhausted and sick everyday but I am gratefull for my doctor that she helps me keep the pain under control.

You need to keep trying to find a combo of meds that works for you, the most importannt is getting the pain under control so you can get the much needed sleep your body needs. I hope you can find something that works for you, keep us posted. Hugs Barbara
  12. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've had fibromyalgia (diagnosed) for four years. In that time I was also diagnosed with DDD, scoliosis, spinal stenosis and spondylosis of the lower back. That, and my joints, are my most painful areas.

I've been on Ultracet for all that time. Recently I found that it doesn't help that much anymore. So I'm taking it before I get out of bed and supplementing with ibuprofen during the day. I also take glucosamine for my arthritis even though research says it doesn't work. I've started taking vitamin D3.

I've been on statins for "high" cholesterol, but it hurts my muscles too much so I've stopped it. So basically, I experiment with my meds and supplements to find out which combination works the best. And, of course, there's always the barometric pressure fluctuations that we can do nothing about which makes all our symptoms worse!
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Are you taking one percocet 4 times a day? (I forget what qid means) I'd see if you can take 2. My doctor has upped my dose, changed my meds many times to try to get the best results. I am now prescribed Oxycontin 3 times a day if needed (slow release) then Oxycodone (percocet) 2, 3x a day and also Roxycodone(no Tylenol)2, 3x a day if needed. I was on just the Roxycodone because I didn't want any Tylenol but found it was a little less effective, so we added a small dose of Tylenol. (hence the percocet)

Ultram (Tramadol) did nothing for me at all. I'd ditch that if it isn't doing anything for you. You have other options like upping the amount of Percocet you're taking before taking diluadid. Although if your Dr. will prescribe that for you, that's wonderful.

I noticed you're not taking a long acting or slow release med which might be what you need in addition to what you're taking. Is Kadian one of those? It really helped me out with the peaks and valleys of the other meds I was taking. Sometimes I don't need it at all and am happy when I have lots left over at the end of the month, but it's nice to have for those really bad days. Both the pain clinic (that I only went to once) and both Dr.'s I've seen recommended it - Dr.s also don't seem to have as much of a problem prescribing for some reason.

Because I've built up such a tolerance, sometimes my meds don't help at all, but on the other hand, I can work and function fine without feeling 'weird' which is something I can't stand. I don't want anything that makes me feel high or woozy. There are days however that the pain is so bad, I just wish I had something that would knock me out.

I was recently prescribed Klonapin - a relatively low dose. She(me)who can take enough pain medication to knock a horse out, can't take one lousy Klonapin without falling asleep (for hours). My rheumy prescribed it for a night time dose to start. My PCP wanted me to take during the day as well (very stressed out right now). I have to split in half. It certainly does help with the stress and does relax me.

I also take Soma. It's pretty sad that I can take all of those meds and the only difference you'd notice is that maybe I'm not on the couch crying in pain. I still have pain, but you'd never know I'd taken anything. Three years ago, I'd complain about a headache for hours before I'd even take a Tylenol.

Let me know if you get the dialudid (sp?) and how it is for pain relief. I've never tried it. I know my doctor would never prescribe it and I don't even think the pain clinic I went to would (they don't like narcotics)
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I found that my AD, I take Zoloft, really helps my pain. Many people with chronic pain are prescribed an AD as it raises your serotonin level.

I have not read anything about ECT being recommended for pain. It can be effective for people whose depression is not helped by ADs. It is a medical procedure where you have to be under anesthesia and can have lots of side effects. I would doubt that many doctor's would recommend this.

It looks like you have a lot of good suggestions.

I hope your pain decreases soon. We have all been there. Keep us posted.

Take care.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2008]
  15. libbyann

libbyann New Member

It sounds like Meg has the same problem getting pain meds, like I do. I went to a Pain Mangement Doctor, I have FMS and CFS and etc. The only thing he wanted to do was give me shots in my back, I had back surgery, 6 screws and 2 rods in my back which is very painfull, but I needed pain meds for FMS & CFS. He didn't even want to talk about that. He said there was no such thing as FMS, thats just what Doctors tell you, when they don't know whats wrong with you. I guess you know what happened next, I didn't go back. It's really hard to get anything for pain around here.

Take Care,

[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  16. meowee

meowee New Member

First off, I am trying to get used to this format. It really does look nice.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I do take the percocet 4 times a day.. It is the highest dose 10/325. When I get those terrible flares, I have ended up taking 3 at a time, I don't want to exceed the tylenol level.

I will talk to my doctor next visit. If I could get enough "strong" medicine for 10 days out of a month, I would be happy. The other 20 days, I can get by with my reg meds, Percocet, Ultram and Soma. There are those 10 days,(approx) each month, that are so unpredictable, and really put me away.

I will keep you posted

God bless you , my friends. Thank YOU
  17. hurtnallover

hurtnallover New Member

I helps me sleep through the pain. Usually. It sounds like your pain is much worse than mine but it might be worth a try.