I need sleep meds..what is good for FM/CFS??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Oct 13, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I need a good sleep med. I sleep alot, probably to much but I am thinking from reading alot that I don't ever get to stage 4 sleep. I think thats why I am tired all day. I need the names of some sleep meds that work for people here so I can suggest something to my PCP. Thanks...Mick!!
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

fieldmouse;

My doctor has tried me on many sleep meds and now I am on Restoril and am finally getting the rest I need.

Good luck in your quest for a really good sleep!

nyrofan
  3. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Mick:

Regarding the sleep meds, my main concern with some of the newer meds like Ambien, Ambien CR and Restoril(sp), is the effect on stage 4 sleep. I think that is why doctors tend to use low dosage of amitriptaline...Helps with stage 4 and helps you sleep.

Check in with your doctor...

Also on you using supplements: I have found that magnesium, calcium and malic acid before bed with a good organic sleepy time tea that contains passion flower, valerian, and chamomile is very helpful unless my pain is bad.

Hope this helps a bit... I have concerns about some of the sleep meds, Groggy mornings and not enough restorative sleep. My understanding for short term use.

let us know how you make out,

Suz45
  4. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

Nortrytaline (generic of Pamelor) and Paxil both antidepressents but they do seem to help me get more of the restorative sleep that we all need.
  5. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I take cymbalta but I take it in the morning cuz it don't help with sleep. I don't think I can take the 5-HTP because of this. I was reading about it and decided against it because of this. I am reallt confused about this whole sleep thing. I will be talking to her today. I have tried ambien cr and didn'y like it. I also tried rozerm and got no results from it either. Maybe she will try something new. My new doc asked if I had ever had a sleep study done. I wonder if that would help to figure this out?....Thanks for all your replies~hugs~Mick!!
  6. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

7. cczub

cczub New Member

Has been the only thing that worked for me. I tried Lunesta, Ambien and Ambien CR... No results on them.

50mg of Trazadone before bed and 30 minutes later I can fall asleep and stay asleep most of the night. Much better than sleeping for an hour at a time!