I need sleeping med suggestions! Is Lunesta available in Canada?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Aug 10, 2005.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

Hi all,

I am having a terrible time lately finding something to help me sleep. I have been taking 30 mg Restoril for a few years and it is the only drug that has worked consistently. Lately it has not been working as well and my doctor thinks that it is time that I changed meds.

I tried Klonopin a couple of weeks ago and I only slept 45 min. and then a few minutes here and there all night. I was so hoping that it would be the answer for me since it helps so many of you. I do use it during the day and find it good for the sensory overload problem. But it does not help me sleep.

Besides the Klonopin, recently I have tried Starnoc and Oxazepam. I did not sleep all night with the Starnoc and Oxazepam was only slightly less helpful than the Restoril.

Any other suggestions?

Does anyone know if Xanax helps with sleep? That is one drug my doctor mentioned last time.

Does anyone know if Lunesta is available in Canada?

I am so exhausted that I am finding it hard to think and my pain has reached new heights. :-(

I would appreciate any suggestions for this problem.

Thanks.
    Pepper
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Hi, Pepper!

I have tried dozens and the best one for me is Zanaflex! I just think it is great. I have never had any side effects from it.

It is very sedating, so I only take it at night. It helps me sleep like a baby and get up the next morning with no hangover effect. That's what I like about it!

I take 6 mg about 2 hrs before bedtime. I can take up to 10 mg if I need to.

I would highly suggest it!

Janet
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have been on Xanax 3 x a day (.5 mg.) and I really don't think it helps with sleep. It helps relax you, but not really with sleep, at least not since I've been on it since 1997.

Xanax was supposed to help with stage 4 sleep. But possibly because I've been on it so long it isn't really helping.

I have been using the melatonin 2.5 sublingual from the Pro Health store and it has been helping me since the middle of May. I think the melatonin is just for mild sleep problems, not for major problems.

I don't take anything else and I'm on so many meds, I really don't want to take another Rx for that.

Wish I could help you Pepper!

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. happygranny

happygranny Member

But I was able to find it also goes by the name:
    Eszopiclone

I found it doing a Google search, but couldn't find reference to it in Canada.

Maybe a phone call to a pharmacy, using the name Eszopiclone, could answer your question.

So sorry you are still having such terrible problems with sleep.

Hugs Pepper,

Happygranny
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2005]
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

I am writing down that med right now to bring to my next appointment.

I am so glad that it works for you and sure hope it works for me!

Thanks for sharing.
    Pepper
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

I thought that Xanax was used primarily for anxiety and when I asked my dr. about that he said yes, but it helps with sleep too. I don't think he has any clue how much help I actually need!

I have ordered some sublingual Melatonin from this site and am waiting for delivery.

Thanks for the info.
    Pepper
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

Now, why didn't I think of that? I will copy down that name (which I have forgotten already!) and will call the pharmacy tomorrow.

Good idea!
    Thank you.

(((HUGS)))Pepper
  8. Gly

Gly New Member

Pepper, I use Zopiclone (Imovane) 7.5 mg plus Trazodone 50 mg. Zopiclone is not available in the USA, but we have it in Canada. It's similar to Eszopiclone (Lunesta). I have been using this combo for many months now and it works well for me.
  9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Lunesta (Eszopiclone) is available without prescription at RXMexico.com It's the Generic brand Eszopiclone.
    Hugs Shirley
  10. MissKitty05

MissKitty05 New Member

Pepper,
    I'm afraid there isn't a simple answer to sleep, and no 'pill' will give you the restorative sleep you are looking for.
    The best is a combination of both prescriptions and herbal remedies to 'calm you' and give you a restorative sleep.

B-vitamins, along with GABA an amino acid, and 5-htp, combined with Klonapin and Ambien (a mild prescription sleep aid), may be your answer.

There are also herbal teas that are good for sleep restoration, and having a calming effect, of which valarian root tea can be one of the best if you can handle the smell. There is also passion flower, lemon balm and kava, which may be helpful, but I've found the valarian to be the best of them all. (it smells like cat poop)

You can also make your bedroom more inducive to sleep, by not having a television (or computer)in the room, and using your bedroom for sleep only.....never as an office, or another type of work area. Soft lighting, that dims, "white noise" such as a fan, or a air purifier, and soft music, that shuts off after a period of time.

There are things you can do to 'quiet the nerves' long before going to bed, prayer and meditating on the Word of God (Psalms are best) can be very relaxing. Are you a Christian?

Clearing the mind of all the worries and fears, letting them go, will help you. You can do this with comedy, or with music, or many other ways.

God Bless you, and help you to find the restorative sleep you need....
    ~Kitty
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

I forgot to mention that I have tried Trazedone and was bug-eyed all night. It had a paradoxical effect on me.

However, I was not aware that Imovane and Lunesta were similar! I used Imovane years ago and it did work for me. Then I teamed up 7.5 mg Imovane (1/2 the dose I had been taking) and 15 mg Restoril (1/2 the dose) and it worked well for many months.

My doctor made me cut out the Imovane because he thought it was extra hard on the liver and I have liver problems. Since then, though, I have heard that it is not so hard on the liver.

Since I know that Imovane works I just may go try it again.

Thanks for the info!
    Pepper
  12. pepper

pepper New Member

I agree with you. I don't think that there is anything worse than no sleep. It makes everything else so much worse - not only the fatigue but the pain and the brain fog and the ability to cope, not to mention the depression and anxiety.

Aterax is a new one for me. I am going to look it up and see if it might be appropriate to try.

Thanks for your help.
    Pepper
  13. Gly

Gly New Member

I tried many things before this combo which is common. We all react differently. I was told that 50mg of Trazodone would put me to sleep but it didn't. However, if I miss 2 nights my pain level elevates to an intolerable point by the 3rd day. Trazodone makes me feel off balance and weak in the legs but it doesn't make me sleepy.

My doctor said Imovane has been around a long time and has proven itself to be safe and he feels comfortable prescribing it for the rest of my life.
  14. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been wanting to try Ambien ever since they started showing the commercials on TV. Those people all wake up so refreshed and alert. :)

However, it still has not been approved in Canada. I check the Internet regularly to see if is approved and it still is not. The funny thing is that Americans can order it from Canada! And the site says "Note: Not available to Canadians". Grrrrrr!

I wonder if there is any drug similar in Canada. I doubt it and may just have to wait until it is approved here.

I am glad to know that it works for you - just like the people in the commercials???

Pepper
  15. pepper

pepper New Member

Thank you for the additional information. I am glad to know that your doctor feels that he can prescribe Imovane long term. That was the appeal of Lunesta since most other sleeping meds are not recommended long term.

Thanks.
    Pepper
  16. pepper

pepper New Member

Ordering drugs from Mexico! I had never even considered that one. I am so desperate for sleep that it just might be worth a try.

I ordered Melatonin from ProHealth and discovered afterwards that it is not legal in Canada either. I am wondering what has happened to that order since it has been over 2 weeks. Does Canadian customs go through this stuff I wonder?

Getting cocaine across the border is probably easier than getting Ambien or Lunesta or Melatonin. And we don't want to get high, we just want to sleep!

Thanks for the info.
    Pepper
  17. elsa

elsa New Member

Just a quick add on..... I take lunesta and it works beautifully for me. I understand the appeal of long term use.

It is amazing the reduction in pain I have had since taking lunesta, and it doesn't leave me hungover the next day. You do have to "devote at least 8 hours" to sleep for it to be most effective.

I wish I could advise you on whether it is available in Canada. It's worth fighting for.

Tansy takes the med. that is very similar to lunesta. ( It was mentioned very early on in this thread .)She's in UK so maybe you'll be able to receive it in Canada.

Over the years tried trazadone, lexapro ,flexeril , melotonin, gaba and l-theanine. I am finally a very happy and lucky girl with lunesta.

Good luck........ Let us know if you have success. There is nothing worse in this illness then NO SLEEP!!

Elsa
  18. pepper

pepper New Member

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I hope you don't mind if I have a few questions for you.

I don't know what GABA is so I will have to look it up. I wonder if it is available in Canada.

Would Valerian capsules work as well as the tea? I have a bad liver and smells make me very ill. Cat poop?? No thanks!

Yes, I am a Christian and I do meditate during the day but I get all hyper when I try to do it at night. It seems that I am much more hyper at night time and I also have more energy at night. I understand that has something to do with cortisol levels that are wonky. If I try to meditate at night my legs start bouncing and I feel like I am going to jiggle right out of my skin. Do you know if there is any way to get over that?

Now the real problems: My doctors both want me to take B Vitamins and I simply cannot. The smell of the pills makes me nauseous. If I manage to swallow one, I burp it up all day and it continues to make me nauseous all day. I have tried every brand recommended and they all do it to me.

One doctor suggested taking all the B's separately but I end up having to swallow so many pills and it costs a fortune. I would love to take B's because I am anxious and stressed but have not found a way to get them down.

I tried 5-HTP in Feb. and was amazed at how much calmer I was. However, I had to be rushed to the ER with dangerously high BP. It turns out that 5-HTP can raise BP in people who are already on BP meds (which I am). I stopped it and my BP went down. Sadly.

I tried Klonopin a few weeks ago and it gave me a dreadful headache that lasted for 3 days. And I only slept 45 min. and then fitfully the rest of the night. That was a great disappointment for me because of Dr. Cheney's research and I know that it works for so many on this board.

Finally Ambien is not available in Canada yet. I have been waiting for it to be approved but it hasn't been.

Thank you for all your help. If you have any answers to the above questions, I would really appreciate what you have to say.

Pepper

19. pepper

pepper New Member

I am happy to hear that Lunesta has been the answer for you. I wonder if Tansy takes Imovane. Gly says that it is similar to Lunesta. I will check her posts.

I have no problem "devoting 8 hours to sleep". I would love to devote 12 hours to sleep if I could! As it is, I am flipping around in the bed like a fish out of water for a good 10 hours.

I am desperate for sleep and will check out Tansy's posts.

Thanks for your help.
    Pepper
  20. sofy

sofy New Member

Pepper, Tansy takes ezoplicone (?) which was the first european type of Lunesta. Its been available there for quite a while.

Lunesta just recently came available in the US and I think it make up is a tiny bit different. I think lunesta is stronger cuz I know she once said she took 7mgs nightly and Lunesta comes in 1-2 & 3mgs.

I take 1 1/2 at night and it puts me right to sleep but never give me more than 6 hrs. When I get up to pee I usually go right back to sleep.

I tried some of the muscle relaxers and they didnt do any thing for my sleep but made me more of a zombie than I already am

Tried Ambien and it did nothing for me.

Lunesta & zoplicone have the ability to stop the racing brain syndrome, me, so I can quit thinking about everything and just fade away into sleep.

Lunesta has a bad taste but I cut the pills in half to save a $$$$ and have no trouble tolerating a little bad taste. It kinda of a friend saying I taste bad therefore you sleep.

Good luck on your search