i need some medication acvice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ANGELEO728, Oct 22, 2009.

1. ANGELEO728

ANGELEO728 New Member

I have had fibro since dec of 07 and have done my best to not take any kind of pain killers for my pain. Lately the pain has been unbearable, the daily 3000mg of tylenol are no longer helping me through the day.

I don't want to be a zombie, as I am a single mom of a 4 yr old boy. I just need something to ease me down and take the edge off so I can function and keep up with him. I am very sensitive to meds that make me sleepy, so I am at a loss of what to do. I am overweight and would love to have some energy!!!

I am hypothyroid, and take levothyroxin for that bc armour is not available currently. I also take 20 mg of Lexapro daily for depression and anxiety.

Any thoughts???
  2. loto

loto Member

I have FM and take Cymbalta-120mg daily, and Norco (vicodin) 7.5
    It keeps the edge off of the pain enough to where I am still able to work full time.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Did you mean to write 3000 mg a day or did you hit an extra 0? If what you wrote is correct, you really need to cut back. I know that you said it is not working & you need suggestions, so I assume that you will be cutting back, but I just wanted to make sure that you know that taking that much tylenol is really not safe, eps long term.....really bad for your liver and for other reasons....there are a lot of other options, both meds and natural alternatives & I am sure that in addition to the good suggestions already posted, you will get some other answer, too....I hope that you find something that works
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, I have been on Buprenorphrine for 4 years and my fibro pain is gone. This drug is also called Subutex. I started it several years ago in order to get off MS Contin. Subutex is used to prevent withdrawal from opiates. Anyway, it also treats pain with practically no side effects, including tolerance, sleepiness, etc. You feel nothing except the pain is gone.

You dissolve it under you tongue 4 X day. I have been on the same does of 16 mg for 4 years.
    The article below is about Subutex and pain treatment. I wish more doctors would use it, it has been a miracle for me.

Buprenorphine TDS Demonstrates Long Term Pain Relief and Good Tolerability in Cancer and Chronic Pain: Presented at WCP
    By Peggy Peck
    Special to DG News

SAN DIEGO, CA -- August 20, 2002 -- Long term follow-up of three confirm the findings of three randomized, controlled trials indicates that buprenorphine TDS is a useful agent for management of mild to moderate cancer pain as well as chronic pain.

The results were presented here August 18th at the 10th World Congress on Pain.

Dr. Rudolf Likar of the department of anaesthesiology and intensive care, Pain Clinic, Regional Hospital Klagenfurt, in Klagenfurt, Austria, and colleagues followed 239 patients with mild to moderate tumour pain or mild to moderate non-tumour pain.

In a daily clinical setting the buprenorphine TDS (delivery rate 35 µg/h) was applied and changed every three days. Patients were also permitted co-administration of buprenorphine sublingual tablets.

The mean treatment duration was 4.8 months. Dr. Likar said that 90 percent of patients rated their pain relief as being at least satisfactory on a 4-point verbal rating scale. "For this group of patients that is a significant improvement in pain," he said. Moreover, 50 to 78.4 percent of patients were able to control their pain without or, at most, with one additional sublingual buprenorphine tablet per day.

He said that compliance is probably improved because patients like using TDS. Nearly 95 percent of the patients rated the TDS as user-friendly and easy to handle. The overall incidence of adverse events was low, and systemic effects were by nature opioid-like; only 10.5 percent of the patients reported transient local side effects.

In conclusion, Dr. Likar said the findings confirm that there is good patient compliance with long term treatment with buprenorphrine TDS.

The study was supported by Gruenthal GmbH, Aachen, Germany.

E-Mail this DGDispatch to a colleague To print, use this version

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

If Tylenol isn't working, I'm not sure plain aspirin would help. Plus aren't there risks to too much aspirin? You might want to talk to your Dr. about Tramadol or a low dose of Vicodin. It doesn't mean you'll be a zombie. Try it on the weekend or before you go to bed to see how you feel. It's safe to split in half.
    If your pain is starting to affect your quality of life, it's time to talk to your Dr. It's often trial and error to see what works best.
    Tramadol seems to work well for many people. If you look it up, you can read about it!
  6. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi , I read your post and it sounds like something I would like to try. Are you in the US? Ive never heard of anyone but you mention this drug but it sure sounds good. I have been talking some form of opiates for about 10 years mostly MS Contin LA and morphine sulfate immediate release form. What kind of side effects can one expect from this drug? Is this the only pain medication you take? Do you just disontiue the ms contin and morphine and at the same time take the subutex?How a bout any withdrawels none??? Constipaton issues? other problems ,please let me know.I would appreciate any more information you coild give me. I really want to get off the morphine as it really isnt controlling my pain much and i do have horrlbl constipation, increased liver enzymes etc. Please share more info ! God bless PS does insurance cover this medication for long term use? Thanks
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

I thought the same thing

If you are taking 3000 mg of Tylenol, that is not good.

I too take Tylenol (In Exedrin) and it is the only thing that keeps me going through the day, although I KNOW I have to quit it

I don't know what I am going to do.

I think one Excedrin is 250 mg of Tylenol, and I TRY to stick to only 1 a day

I am so afraid of what I am doing to my liver
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

You didn't say if you also worked or not. Either way, you need to be alert all day long with a 4 year-old!

You certainly do take an awful lot of Tylenol!! Possibly too much--over the daily recommended amount. You should check into that. Taking that much for an extended period of time could cause you liver and kidney damage.

Have you tried Neurotin or Lyrica for the pain? I have been on Neurotin for years and it works better for me than Lyrica. When I took Lyrica, it not only made me too sleepy, but it caused my hands and feet/ankles/legs to swell a lot.

I also take 60 mg of Cymbalta--the normal dose given for fibro. Most docs will say take it in the morning; however, it made me too sleepy to take all 60 mg in the morning, so my doc wrote the prescription for 30 mg capsules and now I take 1 capsule in the morning and 1 in the evening and I never get sleepy.

I also take a muscle relaxer before bed -- Zanaflex -- and it really helps.

Since most pain pills are narcotics, maybe you could ask your doc for the non-narcotic pain pill Ultram or Ultracet. I think the generic name is Tramadol. A lot of people here take it.

I hope you find a combination of meds that help you.

I also use my heating pad and ice packs a lot![This Message was Edited on 10/29/2009]