I Need Some Sleep? Tried ambien, lunesta, melatonin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrstyedawg, Mar 7, 2006.

1. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

Can someone please tell me something that will help me sleep? What has helped you!!!!!
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

5-htp is an amino acid which helps raise serotonin levels. If your levels are low, this can interfere with sleep. But, you should NOT take 5-htp if you are already taking an SSRI as your serotonin levels may go too high, which can be dangerous.

Many people here are helped by ZMA, which you can buy on this board, it's a zinc/magnesium & vit. B6 combination. Also, make sure you take enough calcium.

If your cortisol levels are high, this too can interfere with sleep. A saliva adrenal test will check your levels. Mine was high, and I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) which helped enormously as well.

Perhaps you should go see a naturopath, who can help you with these things.

Mary
  3. Levismom

Levismom New Member

When I can't sleep I take Tylenol PM (or the generic brand). Sure helps me and my doc said it was fine.
  4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I take 1500mg Tryptophan and 500mg GABA 2 hours before going to bed. Also I take 1mg Melatonin right at bedtime. If I'm really feeling wired I'll take an additional 200mg Theanine as well...

Good luck.
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I sleep like a rock every night..
  6. blkkat

blkkat New Member

i take clonazepam its generic for klonopin. i take before bed 1.5mgs -i sleep like a baby!!!!!! never could get more than 2-3 hrs at a time and never more than 5 a night before. good luck! BLKKAT
  7. livin4him

livin4him New Member

I have tried everything too and nothing seems to work. My doctor prescribed Xyrem, but my insurance would not cover the costs. Ambien works to a point for me, but I never get a full nights sleep. Go to sleep for 20 minutes and wide awake and on and on it goes. I think that is one of the major problems for all of us. I am also doing research in this area. Here's hoping we can all catch some zzzz's.
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I take Valerian, or a Valerian/Hops/Skullcap combo. Those tend to help alot. Trying to have as little MSG and aspartame and other food additives as possible also helps.
  9. ephemera

ephemera New Member

After 3 years of searching for something that would work (we went through many meds in a trial & error) I finally have a combination that works terrific & I've never seen a sunrise since taking them: Rozerem from my sleep doc + "Serenity & Tranquility Remedy" from my accupuncturist. FYI, I would take Ambien or Lunesta at 11AM & still be awake at 6AM without having fallen asleep. What a waste of time & money they were...

The Chinese pills are a combination of about 8 roots or herbs made in China & imported by Kingsway Trading, Inc. Perhaps they're available on the web or in a Traditional Chinese Medicine shop. It's non prescriptive & safe to take with other meds.

I wish you luck. We're all so different, it really takes perseverence to keep up with the literature as well as the side effects. I keep a health chart diary as well as a journal & I think it's important to note what works for us & what doesn't as our memories aren't always dependable & doctors don't always listen to what happens with us in terms of cause & effect.
  10. sunshine54

sunshine54 New Member

I take 15 mg of Restoril, 2 mg. of Klonopin and 300 mg of Neurontin each nite. Sometimes they make me sleep for hours and hours. But just like tonite, I can't sleep even after taking all 3 of the above at 7:00 pm.

However, I think a lot of my problem is I'm in a deep state of depression right now because I've been denied SSD twice and will now have to wait 4-6 months for a hearing.

Plus, I have to drive by myself(I get anxiety attacks when driving due to wreck last March) 86 miles next Tuesday for a Cervical and Thoracic MRI and then see the neurosurgeon afterwards. It's almost inevitable that I will be having another surgery which would be 4 surgeries in less than a year.

Don't give up on finding the 'right' medication to aid you in sleeping. Ask your doctor for samples so you don't have to get an RX to see if a certain med will work for you.

Good Luck!

11. Cakeart

Cakeart New Member

I tried all of things you mentioned and they didn't work, but my rhuemy put me on flexeril, promised me it is not addictive, and it works very well for me.

A few months ago I ran out of my prescription, but remembered that I had some still packed in a suitcase from a recent trip. I put them in my bottle and started taking them. For severaldays I couldn't get to sleep at all. It got so bad I thought I'd go mad from lack of sleep! So hubby (a doc) took my pills to his pharmasist friend, who examined them, put them in a new bottle with a label that read "reglan". Yep, I had been taking my stomach medicine as a sleep aid! lol, I was so relieved when hubby brought them home, along with a new bottle of flexeril. I slept so well that night!

God bless, cakeart
  12. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

who took the time to try and help me.
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

That helps me sleep is 2mg of Vallium. I sleep great on that. Sometimes I take another 2mg five hours later or before.

More does not work better, in fact more is awful. That 2mg seems to address the uptake receptors just right and relaxes the muscles too.

Love Anne C
  14. forfink

forfink New Member

I agree that the 2 mg. of valium is a life saver. I take ultrum during the day and evening, Lunesta around 11 pm at bedtime. But when I awaken at 5 or 6 am, 2mg of Valium will take the edge off pain and let me sleep for 3 more hours. The only problem with Valium though is that when you take it, you are not getting restorative sleep. That's why I only take a minimal amount.My doctor is fine with me taking it, just lets me know my sleep may not be as beneficial. Also, if I get a killer muscle tightness headache, Valium is so helpful. Nice to know I always have it for the bad pain days.
  15. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

I have finally found a combination of things that works for me. I take 20mg of Flexeril with 3mcg of melatonin. That plus my memory foam mattress topper gets me 6-7 hours. (Which is great for me. I went 2 weeks without sleeping when I first became ill). It may also help that I chase my 15 mo old around all day! ;~) Seriosly though, if you can tollerate even a 5 or 10 minute walk, at least 2 hours before bedtime, that may also help.
    Dawn
  16. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

Just in case you didn't know, the active ingredients in Tylenol PM are acetametaphin (tylenol) and dyphenhydramine(same thing as benadryl). I am telling you this because when I was pregnant, it was the only thing I could safely take to help me sleep, and I was taking it every night, which got to be expensive. Found a generic bottle of dyphenhydramine at Sma's Club and got 200 pills for $3. Saved me a lot of money!
    Dawn