I Need suggestions for a book of encouragement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Sep 20, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Hi everyone,

I need suggestions on books of encouragement, just something like quotes or short stories of encouragement about life and persevering on. Maybe it is something that has helped you out a lot. I do read my bible but I need something in addition to that though.

I think this would be something great for me to have to read each day as I deal with the monster of FM/CFS and IBS.

Please let me know!

Nicole *who is trying to figure out what to wear on her date at the Fair tomorrow LOL*
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

As cheesy as they are, the CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL series (and there are a lot of them now--though I haven't seen a CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE PWC'S SOUL yet!), might be just what you're looking for. I've greatly enjoyed a number of these, especially the first one.

You might look into Pema Chodron's books. She's a Buddhist nun and author with CFIDS that Honora just posted about.

From a Christian perspective, Max Lucado is an excellent writer that comes to mind.

One of my all-time favorite books is MAKING SENSE OUT OF SUFFERING, by Peter Kreeft.

3. mezombie

mezombie Member

I used to refer to <b> One More Day: Daily Meditations for People with Chronic Illness </b> by Sefra Kobrin Pitzele a lot. There's one page for each day, and it includes a terrific index which allows you to look up the emotion you're dealing with at the time and see which days she's written about it. It's a very encouraging book.

I hope to make more progress with Pema Chodron's <b> When Things Fall Apart</b> one of these days (I bought it a good six months ago), but it requires more concentration than I am capable of right now.

P.S. Enjoy your date!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2006]
  4. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

I like Kitchen Table Wisdom by Rachel Naomi Remen. The essays are uplifting and encouraging.
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Nicole, here is a book that was given to me by a good friend. It's called "Streams in the Desert" by L.B. Cowman. It has been around since 1925 and updated several times. The version that I have has a 1997 Copyright date by Zondervan.

For me, it was a blessing and exactly what I needed when she gave it to me on 8/21/05. I am on my second reading. It has a daily bible scripture, a couple of paragraphs with stories or words of encouragement and sometimes poetry, as well. It's one of those books that speaks to you.

Blessings,

Lolalee