I need support and advice about work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ToledoDeb, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ToledoDeb

ToledoDeb New Member

I have been a letter carrier for over 11 years and I am a 34 year old woman. I have been dealing with chronic pain for over 3 years and was officially diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 3 months ago. I have been having nerve facet injects and trigger point injections to help with the pain, but I am not taking medications on a regular basis....just when I have flare ups. I have dealt with addiction to Percocet and have also had some horrible reactions to meds so this is my choice. My biggest problem seems to be dealing with stress. I work in an environment where harassment is the norm and because I have some limitations I am treated like I am worthless. I have filed for a reasonable accommodation which would just allow me to carry my mail differently in order to limit the repetetive twisting and reaching, but have been denied because I do not have a "disability" so supposedly the ADA laws do not apply to Fibromyalgia. My immediate bosses have no idea what I am dealing with because I look fine. I hate this! I do not want to end up on disability...I actually love my job and the walking is good for me. How can I get people to understand? I am not asking for any extra time to do my route, I still work just 8 hours...I just want to be allowed to modify the way I hold my mail. This sounds so stupid, but I deal with it 5 days a week and I'm so tired of it. I am becomming quite depressed and I have been in more pain than normal because of all of this stress. Any advice for me?
    Lastly, please let me know what products I should try from this site. I like the idea of natural remedies. Thank you so much in advance.
    Deb
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

in your area who could consult with you about how to get accomodations? since you are getting trigger point injections, do you also have myofascial pain syndrome? does it get you anywhere if you do? just wondering out loud--uh, in writing. blessings to you. jen102
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Have you contacted the Bureau for Vocational Rehabilitation to see if they could help you?

Could you doc write up your need for a special accomodation based on a "different" diagnosis. Explain to him that your
    employer will not accept the diagnosis of fibro and that in order for your employer to "help you", you have to "play the system" and have the diagnosis of your "disability" written so that it will be accepted.

Maybe the doc could write it down as something to do with your muscles and/or nerves--ask your doc to be "creative", but legit, in order that it is considered a "disability" under the ADA.

Just tell him the story like you told us, and ask him how he can help you get what you need to get done. Tell your doc that you want to keep working, but you just need a little help. If he's a nice guy, he'll help you. He should--most people want the docs to get them "out" of work, not fix it so they CAN work!

Good luck.

Oh, almost forgot, re the meds. Have you tried Cymbalta or Neurotin? I take both and they really help. The Cymbalta might help with the stress on the job ... just start out on a small dose or it might make you too sleepy during the day.

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

Fibromyalgia is a disability and they have to accomodate you
    get a note from your dr stating you have a disability and what you can and cannot do.Make sure that you copy this before giving it to your employer, also of this doesn't work go to labor and industrys they also deal with that kind of thing when an employer refuses accomodations recomended by a doctor.