I need surgery next week - I'm worried about the anesthesia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamj, Nov 29, 2006.

1. pamj

pamj New Member

I've had 3 surgeries in the past and has terrible reactions to the anesthesia. They put me in a panic that I couldn't get out of for about 24 hours, like spinning into a black hole and halfway between asleep/awake but not being able to do either.

I have to have uterine polyps removed, and D&C next Tuesday (Dec 5). I told them I couldn't handle being put to sleep, and they recommended a spinal with a sedative. I'm still worried because he said the sedative (Propofal) can make you sleep and not remember. This is the problem... I do not want anything to affect my head at all! I'd rather be completely awake and clear-headed. I can't handle the "nightmare effect" again.

What does a spinal feel like? and has anyone had the Propofal (also called Dipravan)? he said it's like the twilight sleep meds, and you wake up more quickly than regular anesthesia.

Thanks,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2006]
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I can't take certain anesthetics. Tell the anesthesiologist; there are alternatives. I'd find out the names of the antethetics that you have used for the 3 other surgeries.

Spinals aren't fun, but they are effective. I'm thinking that may be the anesthetic that they give me when I get my nerve blocks done. I don't know for sure. Whatever the drug is that they use, I'm not totally asleep when they do the procedures. The drug that they use on me wears off quickly. I think they let me leave after 30 minutes in the recovery room. However, they won't let you drive yourself home.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2006]
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am so so so so glad to have those gone. they did laser ablation and scraping. sure beats the bleeding forever on end.

talk to your anthesia dr. you will be fine.

jodie
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Pamj, you sound like me. Me and anesthesia DO NOT get along. Even the same spinning down a black (cavelike) hole experience. Hate it

For a D& C, following miscarriage, I told the doc DO NOT PUT me under General. He was p++sed. Said, what do want, A BULLET to bite on? Was rather nasty. Anesthesia gave me Demoral. Was great. I remember talking a bit to the doc during it, then I'm guessing they would give me more and I'd fall asleep, then wake a bit and chat somemore.

Probably should tell them to not use anything that is a Histamine Releaser. Here are 2 really good reports on the topic.

http://www.geocities.com/cfsnova/qnaAnesthesia.html

http://www.geocities.com/cfsnova/qnaAnesthesia.html
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But I do pray that all goes well.

Love, Mikie
  6. mezombie

mezombie Member

Everything you could ever want to know about anesthesia when you have ME/CFS can be found at:

http://www.ahummingbirdsguide.com/whatsnew.htm

Just scroll down to the anesthesia section, which was recently added.

Hope this helps!

Hugs,
    Zombie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
  7. pamj

pamj New Member

Thanks for all of your replies! I appreciate the links regarding this, I'll be sure to read everything in the next couple of days.

I'm starting to get a bit more relaxed about it. Knowing that they won't be using what I've had before helps.

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for your support :)

hugs,
    Pam
  8. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Talk to your anesthesiologist or certified nurse anesthetist. They will have much more info. on the best course. Some people just leave it up to them but make sure you know which way may be the best for you. People forget that a patient is no different than any other customer in other businesses. Spinals, twighlight meds, and many others, there are many choices today on what may be the best for you. Not only will it work better for you, it will make you less nervous and anxious about the whole procedure ahead of time. Get informed the best you can and make your wishes known. Good luck. Bobby
  9. pamj

pamj New Member

Thanks so much for that information! I do feel better knowing that they are only planning the Propofal (Dipravan), which is mentioned as the recommended induction agent. They feel that just a bit of that will relax me enough but not make me fully asleep. I don't plan to use any other drugs, just the spinal to numb me.

My GYN/surgeon has been very supportive and cautious due to the CFS. We've already covered which meds & supplements to stop, and which to continue... I'll be getting an IV the day before for additional fluid and vitamins/minerals... and she told me to prepare to rest for 7-10 days, to make sure I have people to help me so I allow myself the time if I need it.

You have all been so supportive, I'm feeling much better about the decisions we're making :)

Hugs,
    Pam