I need the name for this type of pain - to research & find relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Aug 28, 2003.

1. achy

achy New Member

Thanks for any help...I've been searching the web, and here, but can't find a "name" for this so I can research it further so I can STOP it.

My entire upper back from shoulder to shoulder...like from the tops of my shoulders down about 4 inches or so...the area right between the shoulder blades...

I can feel the muscles getting tight..then tighter, and still tighter. I also get this HORRIFIC deep burning sensation...not the skin...deep inside.

Nothing relieves the pain. muscle relaxers,oxycodone, not even heat or a hot bath. ONCE I tried an ice pack...I could feel the muscles immediately tighten up and thought they would rip apart....it was the oddest and once of the worst sensations I have ever had.

The burning is almost constant...just wiping off the counter top, brushing my hair, etc will make it worse.

I have had ALL tests...mri of ENTIRE body...x-rays. I do have deg. disk disease. carpal tunnel, etc..

Do you have it and what where you told it was, and how to treat it??

Sure appreciate any help
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy

2. orionshines94

orionshines94 New Member

Achy, And i thought i was the only one! My neck burns and is so tight it hurts to turn it.Between my shoulders and into my right side ribs.I have constant pain. It is painful to take a deep breaths. Klonapin helps with this muscle pain and xanax too. I have felt burning in my feet,hands also.I need to find anonther Dr. Mine moved away. Best wishes, Sheila
  3. orionshines94

orionshines94 New Member

I ask my Dr.what was this burning? I had never experenced this before. She stated; anonther one of Fibromyalgia's cruel jokes. It's not funny is it?
  4. paula45

paula45 New Member

I've tried everything as well. I'm going to a good doctor on Tuesday and we'll see what he has to say. I feel like I have a hot fire poker stuck in the middle of my back between spine and left shoulder. I do have two compression fractures at that level but everyone says that can't be causing the pain. Even the pain doc couldn't do anything with me and I can no long stand long enough to do anything hardly at all. Let me know if you find anything for relief. All I can do for it is lay down and moan (not very effective either *S*).
    Paula
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2003]
  5. vnr27

vnr27 New Member

could not take a deep breath, really bugged me out all xrays were fine xanax relaxed me about 2 weeks later just tight muscls noone could understand what i was going through it really is a horrible dd to deal with,feel better,val
  6. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I get a pain like that, but without burning. I know it's chiropractor time. However, I get something even more like it (so does my daughter) but it only starts in the back. It settles around my midsection, just under my breasts. As you said, no pain killers touch it. Fortunately, it's been a long time.

I just read something that gave a cause for shoulder pain, something you wouldn't think. But I've been doing so much research in the last few days, I can't remember where I read it or what the cause was. Sorry.

JoAnn
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't have anything to offer but a little prayer that this goes away. It sounds awful. Take care of yourself.

Love, Mikie
  8. aching

aching New Member

...I've had it for years in exactly that spot. The only thing that relieves it is when hubby rubs it (which is only for about 5 seconds).Maybe I will see a chiro.
  9. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

When my fms first went full blown I had that exact kind of pain in my chest first, then between shoulder blades. You're right, nothing touches it! I did 22 sessions of therapy, starting with gentle massages the first week, then gentle stretches, then a few exercises to strengthen those muscles. I still get it every now & again. I do feel for you - it makes it impossible to complete any chore.

I've been having problems since Tues. morning when I was in a vehicle accident. Since then, I've had pain in neck, arms, lower back & between shoulder blades.

One thing I have found that I now have that helps is a TENS unit. I know it's been discussed before on this board so do a search & see what you can find. It's basically a little unit that has 4 electrodes that you place on your back & turn the unit on & it sends electrical shocks to those electrodes. You control how much of a shock. This blocks the pain message your muscles are sending to your brain. If the message gets intercepted, you feel no pain. IT WORKS!!! I've worn mine just about all day everyday since the accident - it's the only way I've been working this week. If the wires wouldn't get tangled up while I drive I'd have it on my arms too!! lol

Hope you feel better soon. I know it's no fun.

Take care.....Kathi
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2003]
  10. duketomato

duketomato New Member

right below the shoulder blade. I have chronic myofacial pain syndrome there.Ice/heat packs only help a little,messagers/accupunture a little more,pain pills a little more.A tens unit helps the best but as soon as you take/turn it off the pain comes right back.I take magnesium and CoQ10 which help without the side effects of pain meds. I should also say that I had a discetomy at c5-c6 and have 3 bulging discs between t2-t7 which don't help this situation any.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2003]
  11. achy

achy New Member

Ok...you've given me a place to start. Isn't it funny that by knowing your not alone..and that a pain has a name can make you feel better.

I do some yoga, stretches and I walk almost everyday..but I can't get relief from this pain. Sometimes a hot shower and hubby's massage will lessen it somewhat, but within a few hrs ar the next day it's back...and hubby is out of town for 2 more weeks!! boohoooo

I've tried chiroprator...made it worse
    I've tred a tens unit...no go
    I have muscle relaxers, xanax, oxy, etc....no help
    use a polenex heat & massage board thingy you can sit/lay on...nope not that either....
    Oh yeah..I also get it in my chest but at least it doesn't burn. Just the tightness.

I will look up the names youve posted....thanks so much.
    I have to go to the store and am dreading it.

Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  12. beckster

beckster New Member

site, you might also check out websites for reflexive sympathetic dystrophy(RSD)and/or for complex regional pain
    syndrome.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2003]