I need to vent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hawkeye, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

My son is in the Marine Corp.

Now he has chosen to leave a $40,000 job as a 21 year old young man and serve his country. He had everything going to him and chose to leave it all and inlist.

He called me this morning, he is in Japan. He was quite upset because of his finances, he still has car payments back here and other expenses and he worries about his credit. Very responsible young man....so I ask him how much he is getting...it was a horrible amount but that part I can expect but it was his statement that this is the check that they take out 200 dollars for his uniform and food expenses! He said they do that every other check.

Is it me or is that just unreal?

We as a country can have all these insane grants and other crazy things we spend our tax dollars on but my son has to pay for his meals while he serves our country?

I just think this is just plain wrong and I am just crazy mad about it all.....I know all branches of the military are different but this is how the Marine Corp treats its finest.

2. Catseye

Catseye Member

That does sound retarded as hell. Especially after all the jokes about army food.
    And also after some of the dumb govt grants I've seen doled out. I once saw a special about some guy who had people wear this special pair of pants that collected their "gas" in a container. Then he'd "sniff" it and rate it. That was his study, what foods provoke what foul odors and such. I swear I'm not making this up! Who could make THAT up?

I hope he gets the fulfillment he is expecting from his new job!

best wishes,

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Exactly my point. There are many stupid grant studies out there and many other dollars wasted we can't take care of our military and we can't help our own citizens (ie: Katrina). I am sorry I am not trying to be political here but I am quite upset.

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

There's just pretty much no way that the military takes out $200.00 every month for uniforms and food expenses.

The military members get a clothing allowance once a year or so to buy their uniforms.

Food money (comrats) is included if you live off base, but you won't get that in your paycheck if you're living in a barracks and eating at the chow hall 3 meals a day. But it is not deducted from your paycheck, you just get different allowances.

The Marines are no different than any other branch in this respect....they're all the same.

It's possible that your son took an Advance of his pay prior to going to Japan and now he's paying that off but that's all I can think of....

Relax.....it's just simply not possible that this is true.

Nancy B
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

No it's true, Marines are different than other branches and it is meals and necessities. Maybe not army or other branches but this is true....

6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

my ex ws in uscg...i worked as a federal contractor in d,c,..also sold real estate in northern california as well...so i have seen many of those paychecks...

but this topic can most certainly be found on the internet or you could call you local va office and they will tell you the public records of your son's income. this is public information....

i know my ex did not get money taken out for food but he was also married. he did get money taken out for uniforms either from what i recall.

but like i said this all public information. do not take your son's word 100%. it was his choice to serve so now he will need to find his way out of his mess if it is one.

i know like some other people said on the board the military services all 5 branches are paid the same way as the other ..same benefits. they are all federal property until their enlistment is up...

good luck

7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

This sounds insane. Why would they take money out for that. I have known people in the Army in the past and they always said they got food and housing allowances (don't know about uniforms). So they weren't getting money taken out they were GETTING money for that.

Sounds VERY messed up! Usually that is one of the perks...that the money you do get paid is free money.

Sorry he is having a tough time :(

Take Care,