I need your help My oxycontin did not show up on urine test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by thirkmom, Aug 7, 2006.

1. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

A couple of months ago I talked to the Dr. (Jerk Neurologist)at my Pain Clinic because his PA was on vacation about dividing my Oxycontin into 3 doses. The Oxy was dropping me cold after 8 hours. So, he says great. The problem was he dropped me to Oxcontin 40 mg. 3 times a day and cut my Roxicodone dose in half. I stuck in there with pain and misery for 2 weeks and finally called the clinic to see if I could go back to twice a day dosing. Of course I had to go in and pay the co-pay. Even though I hve seen this guy 5 out of 6 months, he never knows who I am and has to read my chart. When I told him I want to go back to my previous dosing, he said, "I gave you 80 mg on your last visit--I'm not going to increase you anymore." I tried to explain to him what he had done very calmly and that I didn't want a dose increase. I just wanted things back to where they originally were. He went back through the chart and copy of my last script and sure enough, I was right. I think he was so mad he lost one to a lowly patient that he ordered a urine test.

Because of all the hoops I have to jump on the contract I signed, I took the urine test. Today when I went in for my monthly visit, the Medical Assistant very matter-of-factly informed me that my Oxycontin levels were almost non-existant. I said,"How does that happen?" She said, "You tell me". I may be dumb but I got the inference. I do not sell, trade, or give my Oxy away. I fought so hard to get treatment for the pain so I could get out of bed and be functional. Everyone always makes assumptions for the bad when dealing with narcotics. I have never given them any reason to doubt me, but I feel like I'm guilty until I'm proved innocent. I immediately started having a slight panic attack which I tried to cover by being very calm but my BP jumped to 150/100. It's usually 110/78 or so. She kind of smiled like she'd caught me doing something wrong.

Well, the PA comes in and she was really nice but I could tell there was a little doubt whether I was being honorable with my meds. I told her that I just didn't understand because I take my pills on time, religiously. I told her I drank a lot of water and she said that wouldn't affect the outcome of the test. My Primary Care Dr. drew yearly labs on me last month and my kidney and liver function tests were normal.

Has anyone had this problem or can you think of a reason this might be happening. My PA gave me my scripts and had me take another urine test today. She told me I had to have 18% in my blood for the oxy to register and I had 19%. A teenager on drugs would kill for a lab like that.

I don't know how to prove to them that I'm taking my Oxycontin and I think it may come to that because if my last urine test didn't show anything, this one isn't going to either. The only thing I could think of is my body doesn't absorb it properly and flushes it right out. That would explain why I need such a large dose and maybe why it wears off so soon. I just don't know. LuAnn
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Most of the time, the problem is false positives.

However, I might suggest this. Many testing companies and tests are not as sensitive or as accurate as they might be.

I researched the issue, and learned what was the best test and the most accurate and how to source it, when our employer went to random drug testing. That was, however, ten years ago.

I arranged with my PCP to be tested, at his office, the very same day when testing was done at work.

That way, if I got a false positive, then I could refute it with a much more accurate one done on the very same day.

In this case, one might consider, is it possible that the medication is undere dosage, as in poor manufacturing, and you aren't getting the dosage you have been prescribed, or could the medication even be A FAKE ONE?

Since you were having trouble with the dosage and timing and relief, this could be a possibility. Fake and forged drugs may look the same, and even have some of the active ingredient, but still be FAKE.

The other problem may well be with the drug test. Perhaps, they are not functioning correctly. Those machines have to be calibrated FREQUENTLY, and it costs money, and takes time, and companies have been demonstrated to be SHORT-CUTTING, FRANKLY.

That is why I researched getting the best test, though expensive, to prove my point.

For the ones who have had trouble where they chewed the stuff up in the office, and it still didn't show up, HELLO, MAYBE THE COMPANY ISN'T DOING THE TESTS AT ALL. THEY OFFER THE TESTS AND DECIDE THEY AREN'T GETTING PAID ENOUGH TO MAKE MONEY, SO THEY DUMP THE TESTS AND JUST RANDOMLY REPORT THINGS. HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. THE COMPANY DOING THEM FOR THE ARMY WAS DOING THIS, THEY LOW-BALLED TO GET THE BID, BUT DUMPED THE TESTS. THAT WAS OKAY UNTIL A GENERAL'S TEST CAME BACK POSITIVE AND HE WENT BALLISTIC.

All of this should be considered. I would go to a different source, and get the testing done, AND GET A HAIR TEST DONE. THEY CAN TELL THE HISTORY ALONG THE ENTIRE HAIR, AND IT IS VERY, VERY EFFECTIVE. DO IT AND PAY FOR IT, AND THEN IF MR. DOCKY STILL ACTS LIKE THIS, GET ANOTHER DOCTOR AND REPORT HIM.

4. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. If this becomes an issue on my next visit I'll take your advice. My Primary Care Dr.'s office in the the hospital and so the hospital does all of the labs right there. I'll ask my PCP to order the most sophisticated and accurate test they have. Isn't it terrible we have to defend our every move and you would think the pain clinic would not be so judgemental and a little more sophisticated in their approach. I would change pain clinics because I dislike the Doc--I even filed and appeal with my insurance company to let me go somewhere else. But my appeal was denied. Thanks again for your support and taking the time to respond. LuAnn
  5. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Thank you so much for pulling up this wonderful article. It is right on and describes the problem so well. I so appreciate you taking the time to research this for me. I also took donnaeil's advice and called the the Purdue Pharmacei, who makes Oxycontin, on their toll-free medical line. The Pharmacist basically said the same thing as the article. I copied everyone's responses and "I'm ready for bear" when I go for my next appointment.

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with your pain clinic. I can't believe these pain clinics, who are supposed to be experienced,knowledgeable, and compassionate in the treatment of chronic and acute pain, are so inept. In nursing school I learned that pain is what the patient says it is. That is the basis these pain clinics are supposed to be operating on. It really irks me to think I have to make an extra co-pay each month to go in and get my scripts and subject myself to their scrutiny. If there is a problem they never seem to side with their patient and ALWAYS jump to conclusions without considering your integrity. How are we supposed to trust them?

I'm so sorry you had to put up with what they put you through too. My PA writes my script for 30 days. What about the months there are 31 days, or they cancel your appointment because the Dr. went golfing, and they can't get you in for a day or two. They think nothing of putting you into withdrawl and if anybody should know how dangerous it is--it's them. I guess "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger." I don't beleive that either. Thanks again. LuAnn
  6. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Thank you for sharing your kind words. It's 1:30 a.m. and I'm losing my brain. I've typed 2 replies and the power flashed both times and I lost everything I had written. I'll catch up with you when I'm a little more alert. Thanks again for sharing. LuAnn
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

When they said "you tell me" you should have asked if they were giving you a placebo. You just never know anymore. We are extremely lucky if we can get a doctor we can trust.

I have been lucky!!

Hugz
    Greenbean
  8. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Thank you for bumping this. I didn't have a chance to do it the next day and I got some really great replies. LuAnn
  9. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I don't understand why our Dr.'s become defensive when we ask them questions pertinent to our care or we need something. We have to be totally honest with them. It just plain sucks. When we question something they get the attitude, "I'll make her pay". I hate it when they lie to me. I was an RN before taking my disability. I usually don't tell them that though. But I've been lied to so many times and it really insults my intelligence.

I'm hanging in their with this so-called "Pain Clinic". They are a pain--you know where. I may end up traveling 20 miles to see another Dr. who does not run a pain clinic but treats his patients with some compassion.

I appreciate your understanding and caring enough to lend a little support. It really helps. LuAnn
  10. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I never thought I'd have to worry about the results of any urine test because I have never done illicit drugs in my 52 years and I have always taken my medicine exactly as it was ordered. Why would I risk losing my pain pills that I fought so hard to get. This has just upset me to the very core of my being. I've never had anyone question my integrity and my character like this. After posting this message I got on-line from 11:00 am - 3:00 am. to try and research this myself. I had a hard time getting the wording right so I could find some sources. Eventually I just fell asleep at the computer. I guess when I started to fall off my chair I woke up and decided to go straight to bed.

Thank goodness, all of you replied and I got some great answers from you and just as important, it was nice to get a little support from someone. I feel the medication is working properly and that I do benefit from it. I believe I just metabolize medications faster. My sister and dad have the same problem.

I took Donnaeil's advice and contacted Purdue Pharmacia. They are the company that manufactures Oxycontin. I found their number on-line and they have a toll-free dedicated line. They put me on with a Pharmacist who told me that on the cheaper urine tests they do, they aren't sophisticated enough to really pick up a lot of things. He said I would need a test where they drew blood, collected urine, and if it was important enough to they could do a hair anaysis, like you suggested. He also said Oxycontin amounts can't be detected but you can test for the presence of it..and that will have to be good enough. He told me if they gave me anymore grief to give them the phone number I used to call him. He said he'd talk to them and explain the facts to "Mr. Dockey". You have the same kind of irreveratnt respect for Dr.'s that I do. I guess it's just the years of experience.

Thanks again for helping. LuAnn
  11. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I so appreciate you sharing your experience with me. It just struck my inner core knowing they were questioning my integrity, when I have never done anything but been the "Model" Pain Clinic Pt. You would think that out of all of the Dr's offices in the world, the Pain Clinics would be more knowledgeable and more open-minded. I think the pain clinic I go to now is just a joke. They are suspicious over every little thing that happens. It makes you afraid to ask questions or share concerns because they will immeiately jump on it and make assumptions that are so far out of the ball park.

I'm all prepared for my next visit because I'm sure my urine test is going to show the same thing because I haven't done anything any differently. Ggiggi sent me a wonderful article that answered most of my questions and the Purdue Pharmacist answered the rest. I made a copy of the article and put it in a folder with Purdue's phone number. The Pharmacist said to give them the same number I used and they would be glad to enlighten my Dr. just like they did for you.

Don't you feel like a little child when you have to go to the Pain Clinic to get your prescriptions filled. They hold giving them to you over your head. It's like--if you're a very good little girl, we will refill your prescriptions, but don't ask any quesstions or make any waves. I think they think they have more power than they do. The Dr. that is over my pain clinic is a neurologist and has no idea how to treat fibromyalgia an CFS. He all but said that on my first visit. I could ring my PCP's neck for making me go there. The way the laws are written the Dr.s in our area don't want to hassle with all the hoops that you have to jump to look legitimate.

Anyway, I didn't want to go another day without thanking you for your response and your support. The first day I got it, I started posting this wonderful reply but before I could send it, our power flashed and I lost it. I so mad. I tried to start over but fell asleep at the computer. So tonight I'm thanking you again and the power better not flash before I send this.LuAnn
  12. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I always think of these wonderful replies as I'm driving home from the Dr.'s office. I guess I'm so frustrated because I did have a wonderful Dr. like you have. I had to drive 40 miles to see her but it was time and money well spent, no matter how awful I felt on the ride down.
    She had fibromyalgia herself and she and her partner were instrumental in bringing FM awareness to the forefront. She was always arranging symposiums and workshops but most importantly she kept up to date on all the new research and information. She was the Dr. who did my paperwork that helped me get my disability. Two years ago this month she died in a tragic scuba-diving accident. She was a single mom and left behind 1 married daughter and 2 teenaged daughters. It was a big loss for me and all of her patients as well as her little family.

After she died our charts all became property of her estate and we couldn't get them. This made it very hard for me personally to find a new Dr. Everyone wanted my records before they would take me on. My mom and dad told their Dr.who is just a young thing) what had happened to my Dr. He was totally devastated on a personal level because he did his residency under her tutorship. She taught him a lot about fibromyalgia and CFS and as a favor to my parents, her, and me, he took me on as a pt. At the time he was not accepting new pts. He's just a doll but he doesn't want to be bothered with all of the paperwork the state requires for chronic pain pts. so he referred me out to the Pain Clinic. The next time I see him, I'm getting down on both knees and begging him to take over my pain management again. I think tears will help. He's kind of a sucker for that. Anyway, thanks for your help and support. I'm ready for the Pain Clinic now. LuAnn

[ advertisement ]