I need your help............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wle, Aug 14, 2003.

1. wle

wle New Member

what can I ask my Doc for instead of amitriptyline? I am sleeping better and much, MUCH less achy with the ami, but I am also eating like a horse. I can't afford to gain weight. I am already overweight. I know I read here about other drugs that have the same effect without making you want to eat all the time.........What are they? My Doc is so good to listen........I am sure he will switch.......WLE
  2. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi WLE:

Glad to hear yoyu are getting some zzz's, however if you are concerned about the Amitriptyline you may want to talk to your doctor about Nortriptyline it is still in the same drug class, howver I donn't beleive it has the same level of weight gain issues as Amitriptyline. The other medication I use is Klonopin which is a Benzodiazepine and can create dependency, howver it does help with relaxation and relaxes the muscles of the body it is classified as a anti-sizure/antianxity med. Many people on this board use it for the FM at night so check it out but if you use it start at the lowest dose possible. Hope this was helpful.

Suz
  3. wle

wle New Member

Anyone else with any advice? WLE
  4. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

I take Flexeril, which is a muscle relaxant, and one of it's side effects is drowsiness, so it can help you sleep if you take it in the evenings.
    Alicia
  5. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I took amitriptaline for a while, and also gained weight, ate like a horse, slept good, but too much, and had horrible hangovers the next day, therefore could barely ever get out of bed. I am taking Neurontin and Klonopin, which help me alot!! I don't really have much of an appetite. Klonopin helps you sleep without the hangovers. Neurontin can make you put on weight I guess, but Topomax, is very similar, and I'm told, can make you lose weight. You may want to try those two! Good luck!

Kathryn
  6. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

I have found that magnesium and malic acid give me a sound sleep. I take a 0.25 Xanax around 7, then the M&M around 9. Sleep great :)
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, Flexeril is in the same family of drugs as Elavil and can cause the same rapid weight gain.

Klonopin is an antiseizure drug which allows one to stop the misfiring and overfiring of the brain's neurons to allow sleep. It also helps with anxiety, sensory overload, RLS, and tinnitus as well.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]