I over did it again,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

and am paying for it now. I haven't done any sewing in over 15 years but this year decided I could make something for my Granddaughters. I honestly didn't think my sitting at a sewing machine would affect me this bad. I can't hardly move my left arm and feel like someone has stuck a hot poker in my arm and up into the side of my neck. It is so hard not to over-do when you are having one of those rare "good days". I know I'm not the only one who does this, but just how do we stop from trying to do just an easy task when we are feeling good, just so we can suffer later?? Happy Holiday Season to everyone on this board and I feel so fortunate to be a part of it.

Dara
  2. firelite

firelite New Member

to hear youre suffering from overdoing it hon, but i know that very well. I had a couple of good days and decided this year i'd bake cranberry and banana nut breads , cookies, and even made truffels for my family. I was feeling good and baked for two days. Well, on the third day, I couldn't even get out of bed, my husband had been trying to tell me to slow down but noooooo I knew better. Now i'm still paying for it, but ohhh the house did smell sooo good for days afterwards. Just take it easy for a couple of days hon, be good to yourself and i know your grandaughters are going to enjoy what you made them.

Happy Holidays hon!
    Jen
  3. younghope

younghope New Member

I have been feeling better so I decided to totally clean my house...Christmas Eve dinner here. So far I'm hurting pretty bad but I have to do it. Hopefully It goes away..I'm now taking a break. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get things done or just try and do something you love..My husband is a musician and I love to dance. It has been a while and I did it..Not very much ..I payed for a week but is was worth it. i used to..not very long ago wish I was dead and never wanted to go back to the hell. I guess when you feel good you need to do the things that used to make you happy..just to go on.
    Happy Holidays
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

My husband & I went over to Seattle the other day. We took the ferry & went to Pikes Market. I came home in so much pain. I had difficulty walking back to the ferry. Horrible pain behind my right knee which seems to have resolved, but my hip joints & knee joints are still killing me. dolsgirl
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

Sorry you are feeling badly today. I wish I had the answer for you. I am one of those who will push myself far past my limits when I'm feeling good and pay for it dearly later. I did it (again) over this weekend. I'm just glad that I have days where I CAN get a lot done, even if I do overdo it.
    Happy holidays to you all too.
    Karen
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I did the same thing, went to the mall for that last gift, walked too long. Slept half the day with the back pain and fatigue.

Got up felt a whole lot better than decided to wrap the gifts, well I finished them all, but was back in the bed this evening for three more hours.

As for the Sewing Dara, I don't know it is that causes the pain, but I do the same thing you did, and will be in horrific pain for days afterwards.

I am going to try some different ways with the chair, its my back and shoulders that get me with the sewing. And I so love to sew! Let you know if I can find a way of sitting without stretching those muscles.

My husband and I finally got the chair by the computer where it does not bother me anymore, but not the sewing. We are going to work on that one after the holidays.

Take care everyone, and all of you have a great holiday.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 12/22/2002]
  7. JaneG

JaneG New Member

spent the day yesterday on a whirlwind- cleaned the house, baked cookies, cooked stew, did laundry and am I ever paying for it today!!

But it felt soooo good to do all those things just like I used to - in fact, a few years ago, I would have done twice as much!! Also had a great conversation with my sister - hate to see that long distance phone bill - but it was certainly worth it. She had been concerned enough to get on her computer and look up some details of this DD so she could better understand what I was dealing with- she really is a special sis!!

Trying to take it easy today although that chilled cookie dough in the refrig seems to be calling my name! Guess I figured that since we had little money for presents, we will all at least have Christmas cookies !!!

Oh forget it - I need alitte rest today and I just decided I'm taking it!! Smiles - JaneG
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

sometimes I feel like I'm out in left field here all by myself. Just to pass on a bit of information, which you all probably know, I had mentioned to my NP at the Fibro clinic how I use to be a workaholic and how deflating it is now to feel like others think of me as lazy. She told me that most people with FM are over-achievers, over-doers, and are always doing for other people, rather than themselves. Sound familar???

I finished wrapping presents today, no bows and no ribbons, the grand children won't care, and the adults I don't care. What counts is the children. I hope all of you have a Very Merry Christmas, a Happy Holiday Season, and a healthy and Happy New Year.

It is now after midnight and I have to get up by 5:00am to get things going for Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!!

Dara
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sure enough, just as I get a little energy, I think I'm Wonder Woman and start doing all kinds of things. Then, I Wonder how this Woman is gonna get out of bed. I never learn. This time, I thought I had slowed down in time to avoid this fatiging flare, but, alas, it was too late to slow down and I'm paying the price.

Hope you get your groove back soon.

Love, Mikie
  10. Dara

Dara New Member

Sometimes we just never learn do we?? I really think it's that we don't want to accept what has happened to us so if we try to be "normal" maybe we'll react normal. Does that make sense???? After these holidays I have promised myself to take things in stride and not worry that other people (mostly my husband) think that I don't do anything or try hard enough. He continuously makes snide remarks to me about sitting at home all day and not doing anything. Actually, that isn't true, I do as much as I possibly can. It is true I'm not working, but someone is making this household run, not financially, but physically. It certainly isn't run as cleanly and as smoothly as I use to be able to do it even though I was working full time, but it is maintained. He has seemed to forget that I have worked almost every day of my life since I was 17, 39 years ago, and if there was anyway possible I would still be working, I'd much rather be out working and making good money than staying at home and worrying about the lack of money. Didn't mean to get off task here, but I just started rambling. Hope you had a great holiday season.

Starting the 2nd Monday in January I am going to be going to a Fibromyalgia support group for the first time, I am hoping I can learn some coping skills and how to accept my fate from this dd.

Dara