I posted this question about ice chewing a while back...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Doznclan3, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Does anyone here have the addiction to chewing ice? Now, that may sound silly, but, I can't stop chewing ice! I love it. Once I start, I can't stop. I make sure I have ice in my fridge all the time. I've looked it up on the net, and it seems that I am not the only ice chewer. Some say it's because it's a lack of iron. Well, I take an iron supplement with the B12 in it. I really think it's a habit?
    Am I alone on this on these boards?
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i was just going to say you might want your Iron levels checked,thats what i have heard too.
    all during my second pregnancy i CRAVED ice, i would wait till the trays were half froze then take them & just eat & eat. it was wierd.

after i had my son i didn't crave the ice anymore, go figure. but when i get a drink with ice i still have to eat it all,lol.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is also called Pica which can be associated with iron deficiency. I chewed ice cubes constantly through my first pregnancy.

According to Wikipedia:

"Pica is a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive (e.g., clay, coal, soil, feces, chalk, paper, soap, mucus, ash, gum etc.) or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered foods, such as food ingredients (e.g., flour, raw potato, raw rice, starch, ice cubes, salt, blood).[1]

In order for these actions to be considered pica, they must persist for more than one month at an age where eating such objects is considered developmentally inappropriate. The condition's name comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird which is reputed to eat almost anything[1].

Pica is seen in all ages, particularly in pregnant women and small children, especially among children who are developmentally disabled, where it is the most common eating disorder[2].

Pica in children, while common, can be dangerous. Children eating painted plaster containing lead may suffer brain damage from lead poisoning. There is a similar risk from eating dirt near roads that existed prior to the phaseout of tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline (in some countries) or prior to the cessation of the use of contaminated oil (either used, or containing toxic PCBs or dioxin) to settle dust. In addition to poisoning, there is also a much greater risk of gastro-intestinal obstruction or tearing in the stomach[citation needed]. This is also true in animals. Another risk of dirt eating is the possible ingestion of animal feces and the accompanying parasites. Pica can also be found in animals, and is most commonly found in dogs."

The article then goes on to explain the relationship between being anemic and pica. I won't put the rest of the article here to save space but if you go to Wiki, it is an interesting article.

ETA I just reread the article and it looks like a lot of citations are missing. It then states it is a mental disorder. Most doctor's think not.

Repetitive behavior in children might come under this but then that can also be physical.

Food discrimination therapy would probably be effective for the developmentally delayed.

Pica is not the same as "mouthing" which toddlers do. That is developmentally appropriate.

[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2009]
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I agree that it could just be a habit. I have a friend who chews ice all the time. Actually she'll get a glass of water (soda whatever) and make them overfill it with ice- very little drink is ever in it, then she gets another cup just of ice (if we're picking up a drink somewhere). I hate to say it, but it sends me through the roof hearing it! =)...gives me chills too.

If you've had your iron levels checked etc. and everything is okay, it may just be something you enjoy. Can you try crushed ice? Maybe that won't be so hard on your teeth.

Did anyone see the episode of Untold Stories of the ER on TLC? A woman ate toilet paper like it was going out of style. THAT wasn't her main problem....but when the Dr. left the room after finding out what was really wrong - he threw her a roll of TP to take home with her.

I have heard of pica - neighborhood kid at pebbles, pea gravel etc. Mom was always digging her fingers in his mouth to scoop them out. I don't think he "outgrew" that for a few years.
  5. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Oh man, all I can say is, that I'm glad I don't eat dirt!! That sounds nasty when you think of all that is in it! I must have magpie in me, I'll eat almost anything!
    I do chew gum, when I'm not chewing ice. Mental disorder?? Ok, I wouldn't be surprised.
    I actually did this years ago, then stopped. I have no idea why it started up again.
    And, was it Jan that said it drives her crazy to hear her friend chew it? My husband is so sweet about it. My son that is still here is used to it.
    Jam, I'm wishing that I could stop again. What you said makes sense.
    I'm going to try to slow down, make an effort. I haven't really tried. I should.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Actually, in some cases it is not just mind over matter. It is more of a compulsive type behavior.

Good for you for stop chewing gum, but this can be a real physical problem.

Cindy, it might not be a bad idea to get a blood panel. If that comes out okay, then talk to your doctor.

I am not sure how much you chew nor how long this has been going on to fit in the definition above.

Yes, it could be habit but best to get it checked out.

If the above was confusing, what is meant by a mental problem is the definition of many mental problems being physical/chemical imbalance. I think it would be highly unlikely that talk therapy would help something like this.

7. memphisgirl

memphisgirl New Member

Cynthia, you are soooo not alone. I use that same phrase and tell everyone that I am addicted to chewing ice. I have pernicious anemia and take OTC iron everyday and B12 shots bimonthly. But I'm still addicted to ice chewing. I do try to only use crushed ice, but if none is available, then I will chew cubes.

I think you're right about it being a habit, and in my case, it might even be a little of the pica stuff thrown in... I've tried to not do it, but haven't been able to break myself of doing it as of yet...
  8. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

I have TMJ which will bother me if I did. I did have iron deficiency before and don't recall the ice cube chewing. I chew gum with Xylitol every now and then for a few minutes to get the enzymes going as part of dental care.

Take care... :)
  9. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi, I personally had this same thing constant almost out of control ice eating, got to the point I was driving my poor hubby nuts with it(so I would wait until he would leave for work and really eat and eat ice. ) I had really heavy flow with my periods and eventually had to have a hysterectomy I WAS SEVERELY ENEMIC. AFTER THE SURGERY AND BEING on IRON REPLACEMENT PRESCRPITION STRENGTH for a few months I loss the desire or craving of ice. But I also couldnt eat enough liver, liversworth anything with high iron while the ice thing was going on. Now I can't stand liver or liversworth. My iron was so low that my DR. SAID SHE DIDNT KNOW HOW I WAS STILL STANDING. I BEGAN HAVING SEVERE CHEST PAINS THAT PROMPTED THE VISIT TO DR TO FIND THAT I WAS SOOOO ENEMIC THAT THEY THOUGHT i NEEDED BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS FOR MY HEART TO HAVE ENOUGH GOOD BLOOD TO KEEP BEATING. sO PLEASE GET A SIMPLE BLOOD TEST TO FIND OUT BEFORE IT GOES THAT FAR. gOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS
  10. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Interesting! I'd love to try this
    Where can it be purchased, jam?

11. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

my hubby hates me chewing ice i can't quit so i leave the room get my ice fix and i can't stop like others mentioned i chew chew chew while hubby is at work. if i run out of ice i panic.

ice lover too.
  12. soulight

soulight New Member

My mother used to ask for a cup of ice every time we went out to eat. No water , just ice. She found out she was severely anemic.

I am anemic and every time my counts go down , I want to eat dirt or clay ( I don't though). Whenever I see a show on the TV with any dirt or stones or clay involve I think" I wish I could eat that " and then I know that I need to get my blood checked.

13. michellemariewalls

michellemariewalls New Member

I chew and eat tons of ice. I find it is the only bit of relief that I get from horrible Texas heat. I also run a constant fever. Ii feel like my inside are on fire even if I am in a 69-70 degee room.
    Ice chewers unite!!! Michelle