I really hurt myself playing Wii!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kjade, Dec 27, 2009.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

Note: I posted this on FM board as well - I am looking for any suggestions on how to help myself.

We got our kids a Wii for Christmas this year. If you don't know, a Wii is a video game where the players actually act out the games, instead of just sitting on the couch hitting buttons on a controller. They already have a Playstation, X-Box and a PSP. But we thought the Wii would be a great family gift, since all of us could play (including my 4 y/o daughter). One of the games they have is the bowling game. So on Christmas night, we were playing it - I think I may have played 3 games. You stand there and actually act like you are throwing the ball, but you are only holding the contoller, not an actually bowling ball.

Well, I woke up yesterday with really bad pain in my lower back. I really didn't think much of it, since I get back pain all the time, especially when I wake up. But it just kept getting worse throughout the day. It feels almost like the sciatica I had when I was 9 mos pregnant, only it is much, much worse than that. I can barely walk!!

The pain is just shooting through my hips, and down my leg. There is no position I can get into where the pain lessens. When I try to bend a little to stretch it out, the shooting pain actually causes me to lose my breath, that is how severe this is.

The only think I can think of is that I hurt myself playing that Wii bowling game. Dh's grandmother threw her back out playing that game a couple years ago, but she is 87 yrs old!! I am only in my 30's! I realize I am really out of shape, but come on! Could playing that game have caused this? I cannot believe how much this hurts! I had to actually crawl up the steps last night, and when I tried to change my clothes, DH had to pick me up because I couldn't even stand up.

Any suggestions on what I can do to help myself? I HAVE to go to work tomorrow, and I don't know how I will do it if I can't even walk.
  2. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

use an ice pack for 20 minutes and then switch to heating pad for 20 minutes and then back to the ice pack.

You might try taking a nice hot shower too and take some calcium and or magnesium too.
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I did something (not Wii bowling) that causeed a similar pain because the activity was done in a position like that of the Wii bowler. Anyway, my lower back was killing me, in my hip and down my leg like yours. I went to the chiropractor and he saw right away that I had misaligned my hip joint. He manipulated it back into place, and I felt much better--not 100%--but I would say 80% immediate, and the rest within days after a treatment or two.

Your injury may not be exactly the same but I would still recommend a visit to the chiropractor ASAP.

Hope you feel better soon!! Let us know how you progress.

4. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Take my advice at your own risk... as I usually tell people,

Do what Beadlady said, plus make sure you have an appropriate amount of Vit C, Selenium, and Zinc in your food/vitamin diet. And, when I hurt my back I tend to drink more milk. But remember that happy cows truly come from Wisconsin, so happy cows produce better milk, so make sure it is from Wisconsin, not from some sunny state in the West coast.

Oh, remember that when you bowl next time, make sure you are leaning back in your recliner, with your bowling arm leaning off the side of the recliner. I though the instructions said not to try if you have FMS or CFS. That's like telling me not to hurt myself over someone telling me that I'm lazy. I'm stubborn and never know my own limitations.

Oh, by the way, I'm jealous!!! I'd like to at least have fun before I go into severe pain levels.

If you have to call off work, just say you aren't feeling good because you tore your back on shoveling *now.

Hope you recover soon!

Fight :)
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So sorry that you are feeling so badly after your bowling game :) !! I know what you mean because one of our son in laws got the game a year or so ago and I was bowling alot better that I ever did at the real bowling league. Yes, I think I was in more pain too after playing but it wasn't to horrible and it went away or should I say blended in well with my other pains so I really didn't feel alot of different after awhile. Yes, probably the alternating of hot and cold might be helpful to you. I just know that the cold doesn''t work for me as well as the heat but you need to try and see if it works for you, if you haven't already.

Hope you don;t have to miss work with the poain and yes make sure to tell them if you have to call it what FIGHT said. You were not playing a bowling game you were shoveling snow or some other hard labor :) !!

BTW sweetie, I know this had nothing to do with your other thread before the holidays about you relatives and the holidays. Hope you had a good time and they did now drive you crazy and drag you into some of the others problems like they were trying to. If you need to you can add on to the other thread or start a new one, or add to this.

Hope something helps and you can start feeling better soon.

Thinking about you !!!!

[This Message was Edited on 12/27/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/27/2009]
  6. kjade

kjade New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies and the advice. I am doing a LITTLE better, but my back is still killing me. I cannot bend backwards at all - it is just locked up. I hate this. Thankfully, the sciatica pain is gone. I went to the chiropractor, and he tried to help. He also gave me a back stretcher device (I already have one for my neck, and it always does wonders for my neck). The back device really makes my back hurt.

From what I am hearing, the Wii can really mess you up. Even DH who is in PERFECT shape (he is a weightlifter and takes really good care of himself) hurt his shoulder - he thinks playing the tennis game or bowling, or boxing. I guess it forces you to use muscles you haven't used in a long time!! Just be careful if you decide to play. It's fun, but geeez. It bums me out, because I used to be such an athlete in my younger days.....*sigh* Now I can't even play a bowling game on the Wii without harming myself!!!! Oh well......

Granni - Christmas was ok. The kids got everything they wanted, and my only joy was watching them open their gifts; seeing their faces light up. Still having lots of problems in the family, and it is really depressing. But I don't want to go on & on about that here. I don't think it will ever end. :(

7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention. I know this sounds silly, but what was recommended to me and really helped to alleviate the lower back pain was to lie on the floor with my back straight against the floor but my legs from the knees down propped up on my piano bench. I guess you could use a stool or chair of the same level. Piano bench worked well because of the stability I guess. When I did this for about 30 minutes, it really helped alleviate the pain for awhile. Don't poo-poo temporary relief of pain, it allows your body a bit of recovery time to successfully deal with the next round of pain.

Another thing that really helped was to do stretching exercises right before bed. As much as I was in pain and didn't really feel like getting down on the floor when I was really tired, it really did help.

Hope you unlock the secret to relieving your back pain. I know it's very frustrating.

Good luck!!

8. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I know how you feel. I use to be really clean and organized, and use to be really athletic, and jogged to work, jogged home, jogged 3 hours a night, rode several miles on my bicycle around town each week, even though I had a car. I was in top shape when this illness hit me like a brick wall. I know this sounds like exaggeration, but it is not, I nearly died from some infection, which they assume was lyme disease, and diagnosed me as such. They didn't know for sure because I had taken a few left over antibiotics, as I was trying everything to be able to keep from dying, as I literally felt like I was dying and knew I had to figure out something since the doc I was seeing blew me off, saying I have FMS and have to live with it. I started getting a little relief from the antibiotics, so I made an appt with my reg doc and she got me in and said it is Lyme disease, and gave me a month's worth of antibiotics. I got better after 3 days of taking antibiotics, and was able to move again, without feeling like I had millions of volts of electricity zapping me. But my back problems got worse, and my neck and back and shoulders were injured by someone I trusted, and over the years I never got rid of the FMS diagnosis, and later was dx with CFS, 6 years ago. To this day I'm so upset that I cannot do things I use to do. I miss being able to shovel with no pain, have *nowball fights, go out dancing when I feel like it, dance around the house a few times a week like I use to do for hours at a time. My legs now look like crap, as I never had an ounce of fat on my legs and now they're like cottage cheese, no joke. I get injuries so easily now, like how I tore my ligament in between my sternum and ribs. I don't understand how I can injure so easily now. I drink lots of milk and do exercise even though it hurts like heck.

Anyway, I know how you feel. Ironically, the only time I get relief is when I get an infection, because I end up going to the doctor, getting the diagnosis of infection, which is not a good infection by far, usually UTI's or lung infections like walking pnuemonia or bronchitis, and he gives me antibiotics, and I feel better after a few days, and I keep on taking the antibiotics as prescribed, and my neck loosens up, my shoulders and tendons loosen up, and I feel almost like myself again. Then after the antibiotics wear off, I go back to living in a cave.

Fight :)

[This Message was Edited on 12/31/2009]