I Remember ME CFS movie on cable

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

Though I haven't been able to see it hopefully you can!
    Sundance Chanel
    SUNDANCE CHANNEL

Wednesday 09.04.2002
    1:00PM ET
    Monday 09.09.2002
    6:30AM ET
    Tuesday 09.10.2002
    4:00AM ET
    Saturday 09.28.2002
    7:30AM ET

VHS 

I Remember Me

I Remember Me
    Kim Snyder
    74 MINS, Color
    Often dismissed as either a psychosomatic illness or merely an excuse for laziness, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is persuasively defined in this revealing documentary by filmmaker and CFS sufferer Kim Snyder. Researching possible CFS outbreaks in the past, Snyder reveals that the debilitating disease often manifests itself in clusters, prompting her to visit two "hot spots" Punta Gorda, Florida and Lake Tahoe, Nevada. She also interviews three current CFS patients, film director Blake Edwards, soccer star and Olympic gold medalist Michelle Akers and Stephen Paganetti, a Connecticut high-school student who has spent the past two years in bed and had to be wheeled on a gurney to attend his own graduation. "As a work of passionate advocacy, I REMEMBER ME can't be faulted" - Village Voice. TV14 (AC)
    Paula Heredia

sUNDANCE CHANNEL
    RENE
  2. Rene

Rene New Member

Though I haven't been able to see it hopefully you can!
    Sundance Chanel
    SUNDANCE CHANNEL

Wednesday 09.04.2002
    1:00PM ET
    Monday 09.09.2002
    6:30AM ET
    Tuesday 09.10.2002
    4:00AM ET
    Saturday 09.28.2002
    7:30AM ET

VHS 

I Remember Me

I Remember Me
    Kim Snyder
    74 MINS, Color
    Often dismissed as either a psychosomatic illness or merely an excuse for laziness, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is persuasively defined in this revealing documentary by filmmaker and CFS sufferer Kim Snyder. Researching possible CFS outbreaks in the past, Snyder reveals that the debilitating disease often manifests itself in clusters, prompting her to visit two "hot spots" Punta Gorda, Florida and Lake Tahoe, Nevada. She also interviews three current CFS patients, film director Blake Edwards, soccer star and Olympic gold medalist Michelle Akers and Stephen Paganetti, a Connecticut high-school student who has spent the past two years in bed and had to be wheeled on a gurney to attend his own graduation. "As a work of passionate advocacy, I REMEMBER ME can't be faulted" - Village Voice. TV14 (AC)
    Paula Heredia

sUNDANCE CHANNEL
    RENE
  3. ali-may

ali-may New Member

My GOD!!! I really need to see this!

Although I have not been working on my Masters' thesis recently, I'm still enrolled and have a lot of interest in returning to part-time research as soon as I feel able. I posted previously about a movie called 'Safe' (where Julianne Moore plays a woman with MCS). I'm doing my research specifically on 'Safe' and comparing it to, for example, TV movie melodramas about illnesses, and other related films.

Will anybody here be watching 'I Remember Me'? Will anyone be taping it? I would dearly love a video copy of this movie so that I can use it in my research one day - can anyone help me with this?

It sounds like an important film as far as giving CFS and other related illness a high profile.

Alison

4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Don't get the Sundance channel, but hopefully others will see & let us know how it was.

Thanks for sharing. Michele
  5. Coping

Coping New Member

for posting this. We have Direct TV and I think Sundance Channel is the only one we don't get. Go Figure. I called our local Blockbuster and they don't have it either. If you happen to see it coming on another channed PLEASE let me know.
    Thanks so much,
    Tricia
  6. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

7. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

I was just wondering if this was a recently filmed picture or if it is an older picture? I would love to see this as well but I do not have Sundance Channel--Darn it!!!
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I can't get this channel and I don't know anyone who can...please alert us if another channel airs it.
    Be well,
    Kady
  9. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

It is great - I bought it thru Amazon.com.I've been lending it to family & friends and they all say it helps them understand how ill we are. Maybe you all can find somebody to tape it for you??? I would hate for anyone to miss this!!
    Love that movie!!!
    I think it was released on VHS in May 2002
    If I had the money I'd Buy a copy for each of you!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2002]
  10. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

and this time remember to record for family and friends. We're going to make copies to send out to all of them.

Keep a box of tissues near.

Thank you for posting,

Kim and Gary
  11. Coping

Coping New Member

and I saw the movie this morning. It was a fabulous movie. I was very distraught at the end when it said there were I don't know how many millions of dollars put aside for the study of CFS and the funds were redirected to go to different studies....That just made me sick. I would like to learn more about that.

Everyone should watch this movie. It is a real eye opener.

Tricia
  12. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Terrific movie. I don't know exactly when it was made, but there is a reference to soccer player Michelle Akers playing in the 1999 World Championships (completed) and the 2000 Olympics (in the future). So the movie was made some time between the two events.

Hippo
  13. ali-may

ali-may New Member

It was released in 2001.

Alison
  14. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

I just posted on this. Post Title, "I Remember Me" (A Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Movie). See post if interested.
  15. Rene

Rene New Member

bump
    rene
  16. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Was able to catch the final showing of "I Remember Me" on
    Saturday. Although I suffer specifically from FMS along
    with SLE, RA & OA, I wanted to see it since some researchers
    think there may be a relation between CFS, FMS, Gulf War
    Syndrome and other like ailments.
    After I saw the part about the young 18 year old man
    making struggling to attend his HS graduation, my mother
    (who's an 81 year old stroke survivor) & I started to
    get tears in our eyes. I can only pray he will get better
    soon.
  17. glendamarie22

glendamarie22 New Member

I saw that this movie is available on DVD - should I buy it? Is it depressing, or hopeful? Does it show everyday kind of things, or what? I have CFS, and I don't want to watch something that will make me depressed, since I have a hard time dealing with it, anyway. I don't have a TV, so I just wanted to get some info on this before I spent 30 bucks. Anyone??

~Glenda[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2002]
  18. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Thank you for letting us know the time on cable!!! I can't wait to see this film.

I found out about this movie last week and called my local library. They will be getting it in around the middle of October.....I'm the 1st on the list to check it out!!..
    I also check Blockbuster website to see if they might have it and I found out it can be ordered as well.
    Check out Kim Snyder in keyword search.
    This movie is going to be a really good instrument for us I think.....I for one am going to get everyone I know to see this movie.
    YHEA Kim Snyder!!
    Hugs,
    Linda
  19. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

GO AND FIND SOMEONE...ANYONE WHO HAS SUNDANCE AND A VHS RECORDER....a next door neighbor, family member, church group,someone in your support group, apt. complex whatever!!!etc. THIS MOVIE IS A MUST SEE!

This is a wonderful film to send to your family, neighbors, friends and all to raise the awareness of this horrible disease.

I have watched this movie several times (tears and all!)and was lucky enough to be alerted the first time it played on the IFC Independent Film Channel.....tape in and recorded it!!!! (got it!!!!!)

I have since spoken to Kim Snyder 2 times...she is so strong and such a trooper....after 5 years she is still dealing with the illness but is 80% on her good days. Kim also makes public appearances ...so talk to your local support groups and see if she can speak at one of your meetings...($250+ to speak and airfare to and from New York where she currently resides.)

I Remember Me
    Directed by Kim A. Snyder

Ever wonder why folks always suspect that any malady that can't be specifically pinpointed and diagnosed exists only in the imagination of the sufferer? Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) patient Kim A. Snyder sure does. She rails against this kind of skepticism in I Remember Me, which chronicles the history of CFS. The filmmaker, a Johns Hopkins University graduate, grew frustrated with the medical establishment's apathy after coming down with the symptoms of CFS--overpowering lethargy, swollen glands, and aches and pains that inhibit ordinary activity and movement. She figured a definitive documentation of the disease, including its treatment and the experiences of long-term patients (such as filmmaker Blake Edwards and women's soccer star Michelle Akers), was warranted. What Snyder gets right is how frustrating chronic illnesses are: the difficulty of adjusting to pain, waiting for a diagnosis, and facing an uncertain future plagued by a vague, insufficiently researched condition. (The film's title laments a patients' previous incarnation as a vital, healthy person.) Overall, though, I Remember Me is a little muddled and bland, and could use more scientific shoptalk; Snyder identifies with the viewpoint of a confused patient so strongly that the medical aspects of CFS are all but ignored. But it's good that, in the absence of a cure, the filmmaker gives a voice to the suffering of many. (Adele Marley)

You can visit her website keyword Kim Synder I Remember Me.
    You can also purchase the film $$$ there too.
    Try not to miss it!

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?id=3002
    Hope a link to here is ok? Mikie?
  20. dannybex

dannybex Member

I ordered the video from Amazon, and while I admire and thank Ms. Snyder for her diligent, hard work (especially rounding up the doctors and patients from previous "clusters), I was very disappointed that she didn't spend any time asking those who survived or overcame CFIDS, just exactly how they did it. I'm sure they'd all have different responses, but it would've been helpful. Sure, she inserts a couple quick comments from Edwards and others, but nothing substantial at all. Instead, she ends the film with very pessimistic statistics from the CDC, and even worse, one of the last shots in the film is of the young teen, who a year later, is still bedridden -- so weak he can't lift his head.

Perhaps she or someone else will do a follow-up, and talk exclusively with folks who have overcome their illness, even if not completely. They are out there!

Dan