"I Remember Me" FILM 2000

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Dec 18, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

Has anyone seen this film--a biography about a woman with CFIDS?

"Remember Me (2000) is a is a biographical documentary about chronic fatigue syndrome, filmed in the United States by Kim A. Snyder. The film attempts to show just how devastating the illness can be. The movie follows Snyder's travels for four years as she tries to find answers about the mysterious illness she was diagnosed with. The motivation for Snyder was her fluctuating partial improvements followed by relapses of debilitating symptoms she experienced. Snyder was given many contradictory diagnoses for her symptoms along with various drugs that were of no help to her...

Several other notable individuals with Chronic fatigue syndrome are interviewed, and they clearly express their lengthy "excruciating misery" in battling the illness. The interviews included movie director Blake Edwards, United States Olympic soccer gold medalist Michelle Akers, and a high school senior in Connecticut, bedridden for two years who is transported by ambulance to his high school graduation."

I am curious to find out if anyone who has seen it thought it would be worth finding and viewing it. A lot has happened since 2000. A friend ran across mention of the film and kindly sent on the info.

Thanks in advance.

2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Doubt that I could burn a copy but I have it. I think it is more on the life of a young man. I found it very interesting and have watched it several time. Wish you were closer.

You can order new and used one cheaper on Amazon
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

if you have a net flix account, you can watch it there for free, i did. if you dont have an acct but know someone who does you can use thiers

4. quanked

quanked Member

Thanks for the info. I do have netflix so I will add this film to my que.

I I thought that the film maker was a female--must be a male. Wouldn't it be nice if Julie Andrews was to make a large donation to WPI or devote herself to building CFIDS AWARENESS in Blake Edwards' name.

5. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 New Member

I Remember Me is on YouTube in full (in 10 min. segments):

6. quanked

quanked Member

It was weird to watch various people in the CFIDS field that I have heard about since coming to this board--Dr. Peterson, Kilmas, Bell, Reeves, and more.

I had no idea that there had been other outbreaks before the Incline Village outbreak. I wish that the film had gone more into the Punto Gorda, Florida outbreak in the 50's (?). I would have liked to hear much more about the course of their disease--who had recovered, were some of them still incapacitated, etc.

Listening to the various "experts" discuss Cfids caused me to think that not much has really changed--even with XMRV--still so much resistance from the government agencies charged with the medical welfare of its citizens.

I guess we should really be grateful that our disease ended being called Chronic Fatigue Syndrom rather than "The Thing", LOL--I guess that saying about things could be worse applies very well here.

I am glad I watched the film. Although my CIFIDS manifested differently than the individuals in this film I founded it comforting to know that I am not alone.

What struck me about the film was how "well" everyone looked, groomed, clean, dressed appropriately with the exception of the male teen who was bed bound. I cannot fathom how he manages to keep going after being in bed for so long. I felt so bad for him while admiring his will to keep going.

I believe that the individuals in the film looking so okay hurt the message of what we deal with on a day to day basis. I am not sure how to communicate on film the deterioration of one's life and home space over time. How does one show others how much a consistently clean, home and body meant years ago to an individual, and how one lets this task and that task go, until so many things are left undone, over time due to extreme exhaustion, pain, cognitive defecits, etc. that leads to living one's life in relative filth (compared to one's previous standards) and disorder? How do we illustrate the ongoing struggle so many of us go through to not to give up, to try to regain a bit of control of our space and bodies over and over and over?

The film does not represent victims of CIFIDS who are on their own with relatively little or no help or support.

I was not aware that there had been so many suicides due to CFIDS. Also had no idea that Blake Edwards had been sticken with CIFDS much less for 15 years. I remember some of his films like the Pink Panther and "10". Amazing that he was still making films despite his illness.

I wonder how his disease affected his wife Julie Andrews. In the book "How to Be Sick" the author speaks to the impact of her disease on her husband as he has taken the role of her caregiver. It was eye opening for me to learn that if someone in our lives steps up to care for us then this person can be greatly affected by CIFIDS. It costs a caregiver big time to help. The author is very fortunate.

I was left feeling like Kim Snyder did a good thing but perhaps it is time to update her film if she is able. So many facets to this disease as I am sure there are many in other chronic debilitating illnesses. The film helped me have empathy for myself and others in my boat--I feel more compassion for myself.

A YUPPIE disease--ya right.

PITATOO Member

I bought the film when it first came out am my Mum was still around, she wanted to watch it with me. We could not get through the whole film together as we were both crying so much. But it is right on in some ways, not that most of hte people are that bad off as the young man in the film. But a lot of it was very spot on. At the time my Mom was not a "non-believer" that I have been diagnosed with CFIDS/FMS since 1994/1995 but when she was alive she tried everything she could to be there for me in any way. Even though we could not make it through the whole film together. I think there will be more films/movies to come out about it in the future and give different perspectives. But I think it is a good film to have someone watch with you that is having a hard time "believing" in your diagnosis. And also from my point of view it let me see that I was not as bad off as I feel sometimes. Even though in my mind sometimes I feel just as sick and desparate.

I am sure you can find it used on the internet somewhere. It just depends what country and what format you need it in.

Happy Holidays All!!!