I Remember Me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dolsgirl, Dec 21, 2002.

1. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I just finished watching the movie & of course it made me cry. I can't believe that they had funding that got diverted! That proves that the medical field and political bigwigs simply haven't been effected by this dibilitating disease. It won't be dealt with until some of 'them' have to deal with it, and their families too. dolsgirl
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

The movie made me cry too. Especially when I saw that poor high school boy. That really broke me up! I feel so bad for him and his family. When I saw the end and how the money got diverted, I got really, really angry! I agree with you - they need to come down with this illness to see how bad it is. Maybe a group needs to march on Washington, like they do with other issues.

Annette2
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

Can it be rented? I've seen postings here about it being shown on the East coast, but not on the West. I'd like to see it.

Thanks,
    Beth.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

buy.ya know is even cheaper!!how about $23,then prolly a left arm to ship it!!(kidding......)I"m on a wait list for the movie.....I can't wait to see it.
    Tracey
  5. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I'm sure this message won't win me many friends on this board. I just hope it doesn't get me kicked off!

I have fibromyalgia, not CFS, but I also have multiple sclerosis, and a lot of the non-pain symptoms described for CFS also can affect people with MS. Also, until the advent of the MRI in the mid 1980s, MS diagnosis often took a long time (mine wasn't diagnosed until 11 years after my first symptoms showed up), and doctors often dismissed things that patients described as being imaginary and patients as being hysterical. An opthalmologist I saw after my first visual symptoms showed up practically called me a liar when I described how my vision had worsened measurably within an hour or less. A friend with MS described pain she had down one arm to her neurologist, only to be told by the doctor that "the nerves don't run that way." (Guess this guy never heard of referred pain!)

Anyway, my point is that although I don't have CFS, I identified with a lot of what was described in the movie. And I certainly share the outrage over diversion of the research funds!

However....

In the segment about the graduation, I was bothered by the fact that the narrator didn't seem to challenge society's tendency to isolate people who are sick or disabled instead of helping to include them. This unquestioning acceptance of society's bias against people with disabilities and chronic illnesses is something I have been fighting against for years. The soccer player's determination to find a cure, while understandable, still begs the question of whether society should provide a place for those who aren't in perfect health while we await a cure that may or may not come in our lifetimes.

This point of view didn't really surprise me. It's so ingrained into most of us that we rarely challenge that perspective even when we find ourselves receiving the short end of the stick as a result. But I still was disappointed to find that kind of thinking subtly running throughout the movie.

But then I've been a disability rights activist for a long time now, and I have a feeling that most people with CFS, FM and CMP don't identify with the disability community. I'm writing this message in hopes of getting at least some people to realize that there's a different way to look at things--a perspective that accepts people as they are while helping them to maximize their functional capabilities and autonomy.

--Laura R.M.
  6. Sonnet

Sonnet New Member

Hi All,

I saw this in Australia about one month ago during a CFS talk. It was brilliant and helped me to remember I am no where near on my own when talking about CFS and Fibro. I too was disgusted with the funding diversion, but it won't be long before we will no longr be a minority (there are millions of us out here)and the medical professional will adopt a better culture in dealing with us. Only when this happens will we become a priority in terms of funding. What it will probably take is for a president or Prime Minister to be hit with one of these, to experience pain 24/7 ongoing.... with all that is going on in the world, who knows???? If only we had the ongoing energy to lobby for ourselves - I know alot do and I admire them for their determination, but I am sure there are many others like me who are either trying to do the best with what they have got and just surviving.

GOD BLESS US ALL BECAUSE WE NEED IT!!!!!

Sonnet