I rescued my dog from the river!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kellygirl, Sep 9, 2008.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

She is a border collie, we think 17 yrs. old. We got her from the SPCA in '93. She has an abused past.

Anyway, I have the river in my yard and she was walking along the edge of the yard and with her arthritis, her hind leg gave out from under her. I reached out for her and she snapped at me and I couldn't grab her fast enough.

She rolled about 4 times on the way down, and I saw her splash into the water. I ran to my neighbors and called 911. 911 was interested until she realized it was an animal and not a person. She did tell me to be careful when I told her I'm going in.

I called the non-emergency # like 911 told me to do, they sent a policeman. By this time, I had to run along the river and break through tall weeds and wade into the water.

I couldn't see my poor dog, but my neighbor could hear her splashing. She had swam to the other side. I didn't know she was healthy enough to do that!

I had to go over to the other side, wading in the water with rocks and tree roots on the river bottom. I fell once into the muddy water, the bottom was uneven and it dropped a foot.

My neighbor in the meantime, was on the bank looking over with a policeman, who left for another "emergency", he said he would contact the SPCA.

My other other neighbor threw me a piece of rope and left! My adrenaline had kicked in and I managed to tie a harness around my pup with the rope, she was snapping. At first she wouldn't come to me, with her dementia and background (PTSD), she was afraid and kept going away from me.

She was weak and exhausted and I had to get her back across the river! My neighbor's husband went to the fire station for a boat, no volunteers were there or I know they would've helped.

He and his wife are both cardiacs and he has leukemia, they stayed with me. They made their way to the bank and got a ladder down the side of the bank.

It was so muddy on the other side and climbing the bank was all dirt and roots.

With my sore legs, and strained shoulders, the adrenaline kicked in through this whole ordeal! I made a muzzle from a piece of elastic my neighbor threw me, a harness out of the piece of rope, and after several tries, I was able to hoist her up the ladder and the bank.

After it was all over, she was able to walk back home with her weak legs. I got her onto her blanket, gave her a sponge bath, spoon fed her and brought her water. I started aspirin therapy with her, a baby aspirin every 4 hours and we could not believe it..........2 days later, she is better than before she took the tumble over the bank!

Others have told me they would've jumped into a river for their pet, too.

I know I am guilty for allowing her to get too close to the edge. For that, I am sorry.

I thought I would share. Thanks for reading my story.

It would be good to hear any other stories about animal rescues that you may have been involved in.
  2. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Wow! Amazing story! This would have been an amazing story if a young healthy person were telling it. But a person with CFS/FM.... I don't know how you did it.

I assume this is the dog you saved in your profile. Thank goodness he is not a Great Dane or a St. Bernard! He's adorable.

Shame on 911 for not helping, and shame on the policeman for not being of some assistance. Letting a 50 something year old woman with chronic pain go into the river after a panicky dog sounds like an emergency (with the potential of becoming a bigger emergency) to me.

The cop was a weenie. YOU are a hero!

If I was in the same situation, even with my pain, my fear of water and inability to swim, I would have done the same thing for any of my pets.

The closest I have come to animal rescue was holding a lawn chair above my head so my cat, who was stranded on the roof, could jump down onto it.

3. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

She was named before she adopted us.... lol. I didn't know her picture was still in the profile. I couldn't see it.

Thank you for your kind words.
  4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Good for you, I would have done the same thing. It is amazing what you can do when you are in a critical situation like that especially when it is for somebody, animal or human that you love is in trouble.

Way to go, I am so glad he and you are okay.

5. ckball

ckball New Member

Wow- isn't it amazing what we can do when the adrenline kicks in. You are one brave woman and glad you saved your baby.

I hope you two recover without too much discomfort-Carla
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'd have jumped in and rescued my dog too.......good for you.

I'm glad your wee dog is fine.

7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Also, not judging me for allowing her to get too close to the edge, I do that enough myself..........I guess it's like the "mother's guilt", too, that I never get over even though my kids are in their 30's!

Would you believe my pup is better than before she rolled over the bank into the river????? Not perfect, but wanting to play, following me around, being silly.

I wonder if it is true about when you give something or someone that energy of love, they do respond this way? Experiments have proven this with plants that I have read about. I know with children, it is true.