I saw a new Dr. today and he said..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dixie22, Mar 15, 2007.

1. dixie22

dixie22 New Member

That every ache and pain is being called fibromyalgia these days...I got the feeling he isnt buying that fibromyalgia is real. I was diagnosed with FM a few years back by a rheumatologist but my GP was allowed to take charge of my care. My GP moved away so I had to find a new one.

So.. I see new doc today and tell him my problems

legs ache 24/7
    burning feet 24/7
    face pain
    spells of lead arms & legs
    RLS

My biggest problem being the bad never ending ache in my legs and burning in feet. He said I could have a problem that might be fixed and I'm covering it up with meds.He ordered 4 MRI's for next week.

1 on the head...looking for MS
    1 on the neck to re-check some disk problems I already have
    1 on the mid back
    and 1 on the lower back.

He also wanted to know why a MRI has never been done on my lower back..."I GUESS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN diagnosed with FM and if you doctors dont know what is going on ..I sure dont"...This was a young doctor, I would have thought the younger ones would be updated on FM..... did you guys have to go through all this after a FM diagnosis
    had been made?

2. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

Sounds like a quack quack. but he is right on the MRI. I think everyone diagnosed with CFS and FMS should have one of Brain and Back (in your case). I would ask him to order the MRI but you want of your brain as well. better to do them both at the same time for insuance reasons.

Best of luck.
  3. dixie22

dixie22 New Member

Yes he has ordered brain MRI..

4. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

By the way I had to go through a LOT to even find a PCP to start with who believed me. 3 years and about 16 different PCP's. Now that I am back in Indianapolis I have to start all over. My MRI did show liesions but not specific to MS. In an earlier post of mine. An old CFS support group years back more than half of them had undetermined lesions on the brain and the others had never had an MRI.
  5. dixie22

dixie22 New Member

HRgirl, thank you I feel better, I just assumed the right test were ran to begin with. I had alot of blood work up to rule out RA and other forms of arthritis a few years back. I have had a MRI for the neck twice but never the brain..
  6. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

It sure "DOESN'T" surprise me!

Just another Dr who is ignorant!

I just can't wait until they have a test and answers to this dd and thas Dr and all the rest that do discount "the truth" will all eat their words with a fork and spoon!

Iam sorry for you that you had to "endure" this ignorance and condensending behavior from this Dr......maybe you should consider finding another one who is a believer!

Hugs
    Doxy
  7. nightngale

nightngale New Member

at least hes being proactive with mris. If you don't like him after that I would move on. Hard to find a Dr. to even do tests. I dd have extensive bloodwork and my legs and arms feel like lead alot and my feet burn! I had an mri of head no ms, mri of upper back, slight disc problem, but basically my docs are saying all the pain is from fibro and now a new pain in thigh/hip some kind of bursitis thing.

Good luck let us know what happens next, ok?
  8. dixie22

dixie22 New Member

I had my MRI's done and have the reports back on my back and neck...back is fine..neck has alot of stuff wrong and I have to see neo surg. He did say that he thinks my neck problems could be the cause of my horrid leg pain and burning feet...wont know about the brian MRI til later this afternoon or in the morning.
    Hoping it all is neck related and No MS found!

[This Message was Edited on 03/22/2007]
  9. Shalala

Shalala New Member

"... if you doctors dont know what is going on .. I sure dont" RIGHT ON.

Oh these young punk DRs are the pits. I got one for a Neuro and he made me choke on his cologne (I am chem sensitive) and referred me to a sleep clinic and told me to take 300mg of Lyrica daily (that was a disaster). He didn't even want to discuss FM. He didn't order any MRIs ... no blood work. I would surely think that 1- they would do blood work to rule out things such as Lyme, carbon monoxide poisoning 2- order MRI to make sure I don't have a brain tumor or clot

DUH ... RULE OUT THE POSSIBILITIES FIRST ... then proceed. I guess that is too simple?

My Optomitrist faxed the Neuro and asked him to run an MRI. However I don't see JR (lol) again until March 30th and I am suppposed to go back to work April 1st and I still can't function. I have already had one STD extension.
  10. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

After I finally got the FM diagnosis I never went back to a doctor that I knew had no experience treating fibro. ESPECIALLY not G.P.'s, since they are almost always unsympathetic, and unhelpful. It is true that some doctors dole out the FM diagnosis without properly evaluating a patient, but if you are in chronic pain 24/7 obviously something isn't right.

I would get the MRI's, get copies of them, then move on to a doctor with experience in the treatment of FM.
  11. clerty

clerty New Member

NoT nice is it bad enough us havng problems but when you get a doc like that !!!!

Better not say the rest I might be banned!!!! LOL
  12. clerty

clerty New Member

NoT nice is it bad enough us havng problems but when you get a doc like that !!!!

Better not say the rest I might be banned!!!! LOL
  13. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I agree with Butterfly83 “get the MRIs done & make copies of the results”

I just started seeing a new doctor also after being diagnosed with fibro by my previous doctor. My pain was only getting worse & after only 5 months on pain medicine, he was talking about taking me off it. I figured if he couldn’t help me in the 5 months, which seemed like 5 years when you are in pain, then it was time to move on. I found my new doctor through my mother-in-law who’s had fibro for about 10 years. He’s awesome!!! After talking for an hour at my first visit, he said that there was something wrong with my back. I too had an MRI done in June 2006 on my lower back & made copies of the results. He was the 3rd doctor to look at the results & the first to tell me there really was a problem with my back. He said he too wanted me to have an MRI on my neck & neural scans. I am so glad that this doctor is running tests because just from my first neural scan on my lower body, we found out that I have nerve damage. But besides the nerve damage, he did tell me at my first visit that he believed I had fibro & that he was going to note in my chart “possible fibromyalgia” until all the tests are done.

But what this doctor did that my previous doctor didn’t was that he said to me on my very first visit “There is NO reason for you to be in this much pain”!!! Previously, I was given 7.5/750 hydrocodone every 8 hours. The new doctor typed my medicines into a small hand held computer & it came up that Prozac, which I’ve been on for over 11 years, absorbs hydrocodone at a faster rate so he changed it to 10/325 every 4 hours. He then gave me a stronger pain medicine with extended release, to take at nighttime so that I wouldn’t wake up crippled in pain!!! This doctor is not young, if I had to guess, I would say late 40’s to 50’s.

I wanted to tell you all of this because even though the tests are a hassle & sometimes painful, it’s worth it because without them, I would never of known that I had nerve damage & my doctor increased the stronger nighttime medicine to twice a day since the test proved exactly where I told him my pain was. The other thing besides making copies of your tests is to ask around about a better doctor. If you work, you could ask co-workers if they know anything about fibro & if they do then they might know a GOOD doctor. I did this & found out that I work with 3 people who have fibro., I never knew it because their doctors have their pain under control.

It also might be helpful if you look up the American Medical Association on the internet. I don’t know about now but a few years ago it would give you a lot of information on the doctors including their ages. Once you find a few doctor's name, search them on the internet & see if you can find articles, recommendations, etc...doing this you might find one who actually believes in fibro & not the “it's all in your head” attitude.

I wish you lots of luck & PLEASE keep me informed as to how you do!!! I’ll keep you in my thoughts & prayers!!! Good luck!!!

[This Message was Edited on 03/22/2007]