I saw my doctor today....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ishy75, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Ishy75

Ishy75 New Member

I had my doc appt finally today. My BP has always been around 108/72 average. Today it was 80/60 and I commented how low that was and the nurse nor my doc said that it could be the cause of my dizziness. My pulse was also 100 and has been high like that for months since seeing him. He gave me a prescription for Celebrex which I won't get filled as nsaids only tend to tear apart my tummy and never help with the pain. However we did have a long talk about FM and he believes that is what I have but admitted he wasn't too familiar with FM and is refering me to a rheumy to have the tests to have everything else ruled out. I thought that was great. The down side was I can't get in to see her until September. Sigh. So more waiting...

I also had an appointment with a psychiatrist today. That was the best thing I could have ever done!!! This man, bless his heart, is incredible. He treats many people with FM and CFS. I could have jumped out of my chair and hugged him!! He gave me 10mg of Lexapro to take once a day and 25mg of Topamax to start out slowly with and eventually work upto 100mg total a day. I did a message search here and read about what you all had to say about these meds and I really hope they work for me. If they don't he told me not to worry, that we will keep trying until we hit the right combo. I see him again in 2 weeks. I couldn't have been more pleased.

I know nothing about these kinds of meds really, except what I read from you all here so thank you all for being here and for your two cents on everything. It means so much. Any ideas why my pulse is always so high and what I can do about that? Also what's the best way to raise my BP? (lol, guess that sounds pretty silly huh? Yet I still ask) :eek:) Warm Hugssssssssss

Ishy
  2. 1fibrowife

1fibrowife New Member

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE FINDING A DOCTOR THAT KNOWS HOW TO TREAT A PATIENT WITH FIBRO!! YOU MIGHT CALL THE RHEMY AND ASK TO BE PUT ON A CALL LIST IF THEY HAVE A CANCELLATION. MY HUBBY HAS A GOOD PSY ALSO THAT BELIEVES IN FIBRO PAIN AND TRIES EVERYTHING TO HELP HIM. YOU WILL GET GREAT ADVICE HERE!! YOU NEED TO LEARN ABOUT MEDS, THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT.
    KAREN
  3. scottsworry

scottsworry New Member

Ishy,
    Have you ever tried Celebrex? It did not work for me but Bextra did which is similar. I take it the week before my monthly when the pain becomes 100 times worse then 10! LOL

Can your Dr. give you samples to try the Celebrex so you don't waist your money if it does mess up your stomach?

Just a thought. I am happy that the rest of your vistits went well, and hopefully you are on the road to some relief.

Take care,

Becky
  4. Ishy75

Ishy75 New Member

Thanks for the congrats. It is great to find somebody who will actually help. I just hope the rheumy believes in it as much as the psychiatrist does. I will call and asked to be notified of any cancellations and be put on that list. I start my meds tonight. A little nervous about trying them. I hate meds of any kind. lol. I usually get horrible side effects.

I have tried Bextra, naproxyn (Sp?), and Vioxx. All of these kill my tummy and don't relieve any pain for me so I am not going to try the Celebrex. It's not worth having the tummy pain along with all the other aches n pains. I have been trying to learn about all the different meds but as I am so new to this it's nearly impossible with all the meds out there. lol. I keep plugging away though. Thank you both.
    Warm Hugssssssssss.

Ishy
  5. 1fibrowife

1fibrowife New Member

MY HUBBY HAD A LOT OF STOMACH PROBLEMS FROM MEDS. THE DOCTOR PUT HIM ON 20 MG OF PRILOSEC ONCE A DAY AND 10 MG OF REGLAN 2 X A DAY. IT HAS DONE THE TRICK FOR HIM.
    HE TAKES LOTS OF DIFFERENT MEDS, HAS TRIED ALL THE ARTHRITIS MEDS, WHAT IS WORKING FOR HIM IS RELAFEN 750 MG AM AND PM AND 500 MG NOON. HE ALSO TAKES METHOREXATE INJECTIONS WEEKLY FOR THE INFLAMATORY ARTHRITIS.
    WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU!
    KAREN