**** I ---SLEPT---last night!!! *******

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, Nov 4, 2005.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am so happy! I have been sleeping so poorly I hated going to bed at night. Just dragging through the day each day, waiting to go to sleep, unable to nap, and then lying there, sleepless, drifting off and waking a couple hours later. AAGH! Lunesta was worthless, Soma didn't help, Ambien, Klonipen, and some in combination just weren't working.

So, last night I took two Benedryl...Went to sleep at 11 PM, awoke at 4 AM to go potty, and then went right back to sleep until 6:30 AM. I was so amazed. I am actually awake this morning, feeling like a human again. I can't believe it. So, I'll ride this horse until it wears out!

I guess I really didn't realize how bad I felt until I woke up feeling good today. What a relief.

So, keep trying. My wish is a good night's sleep for each of you.

Hugs,
    Sue
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I'm sooooo happy for you! Wishing you pleasant dreams tonight.

Kelly
  3. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Happy dance for Sue!!! ::::whoo hoo:::::

I remember* what a good nights sleep felt like!

Wishing you many more,
    Sharon
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Sue,

That is great news! My Mom is a nurse and said in the fifties and sixties they used benedryl as a sleep aide!

I am so happy you had a wonderful nights sleep. It makes all the difference!

Love,

Kim
  5. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Benedryl knocks me out too!! But sometimes I feel really groggy the next day!!

I'm in a terrible rut of waking up 2 or 3 or even more times per night and not getting any "good" sleep.

BUT I went ahead and bought a new bed because I figure it is one of the best investments I can make and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! I'm so excited!! No more crappy bed where I can feel the coils and they hurt me and cause me to toss and turn all night!!
  6. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

because it DOES work (in a way), even though it leaves me in bad shape the next day.

Sometimes I add it to my small dosage of klonopin, as it seems to extend the amount of sleep I get. Even though I am often not REALLY asleep with it...I am in a comfortable, pleasant and sometimes dreamy (I never dream otherwise) zone. Big problem is, I feel that way the entire next day and that is NOT pleasant.

So, for me I sometimes take it knowing the trade-off. Glad it is working for you and hope it continues to. I recognize your exhileration to have found help with this most life-sucking condition!
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

Congratulations!

Isn't it wonderful to FINALLY get a good nights sleep??

I don't want to burst your bubble, but be careful on taking the Benadryl on a regular basis. I read somewhere, (could have been here) that it CAN interfere with the good stages of sleep.

I just wouldn't make a habit of taking it every night, just when you desperately need it.
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thank you for your encouragement. You are each such special people! Sleep is such a natural thing, and when we don't get it, we have a horrid time just functioning even on a limited scale.

Some of you have the "next-day" hangover, but I don't. My system chews up and spits out meds so fast I have to take larger doses to work. That, in a way, is bad, but for this, it is a plus.

Kelly: How do you sleep? Thank you for the comments.

Sharon: Your post was so wistful...you remember when you slept...! Do you have trouble every night? Do you take anything to help?

Willow: Maybe it was something in the air! We both slept! Hooray! Have you had a good day? I surely hope so, and I hope you have a repeat tonight!

Nanjee: When is your appointment? Boy, I know that coma-like trance you are wandering around in...I hope there will be some help soon. Can you take Benedryl?

Kim: Dear Kim! It's an old remedy, huh? Sometimes things that work, work whatever the time frame. How are you sleeping? HUH???

Ranae: So sorry about the 2-3 wakeups per night. I know the feeling, but maybe your new bed will help you out a bit. Feeling springs can't be comfortable.

Sleepy: Sorry you have the hangover effect. It's too bad you have to weigh a good night's sleep against not feeling groggy the next day. But, if you don't sleep, do you feel groggy or just yucky?

Nancy: Me, too, with the post nasal drip! One night I was coughing so bad my cat thought I was awake and jumped up to greet the morning with me...but it was only 3 AM. Sigh.

Empower: I have heard that from my doctor when we were talking about Lunesta ( which does not work for me). I guess I'll play it by ear because it seems that any sleep is better than none. It's been a real dry spell lately.

So, here's wishing a great day and a great night's sleep for all. Think I need to eat something...lunchtime for me.

Hugs to all,
    Sue

PS If there are typos, it's normal. I'm not a great typist, and I don't edit unless I look back and see something really bad! A lot of times I leave the "r" off of your...so it is "you car"...but I'll bet you all figure it out. (-:

9. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Even before FM I had insomnia- the only time I can remember not waking a zillion times at night is the first trimester of both my pregnancies. Knowing now that I'd never sleep that well again, I'd have slept the entire 12 weeks without guilt!!!!

I take elavil and baclofen together at night- it was working well - I was at least sleeping some-then I started waking up - so we upped the doseage of elevail to 50 and that worked for a while (gained another 10 lbs or so) and now I'm waking again.. I fear bumping up and gaining more weight..

It's a vicious, nasty, dreaded cycle..
    Uggg.
    Sharon
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I did the Elival bump, also, and I also got the lbs. The problem is that it stops working so I stopped taking it. At first it helped the pain and the sleep, but then it stopped doing either but still was adding weight! No way!

I'm sorry about your not sleeping. I have had trouble over the years myself, but never this consistently. Sigh. Last night was a great night. I sure hope you can find a solution.

(-:
    Sue
  11. MamaR

MamaR New Member

SOOOO happy for you and hope that it works for you for LONG time!
    I MUST get some benedryl. Is it just the over the counter?

I am taking klonopin adn flextra at this time (doc increased doseage on flextra for pain). Some nights I add melatonin. I sleep sometimes....sometimes not good. I still wake early in such pain in hips and legs. I have to get up to and take more pain med for relief.

I ahven't been on long enough to read many posts.
    God bless and many good snoozes!!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/05/2005]
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I wondered where you'd been! Good to hear from you.

Benedryl is over-the-counter so you can pick some up. I'm sorry about your pain...drat this disease.

I slept pretty well again last night, so I'm not complaining today. Must get going, however, since I have a birthday party to attend soon for a man turning 90. Imagine that!

Hope Benedryl helps. Sleep is so important. I don't count on a long term, but just am thankful for every decent night's sleep I get.

hugs,
    Sue
  13. MamaR

MamaR New Member

sure hope that you have a good time at b'day party....and don't overdo it. I was suppose to go to fall festival at our church...but not up to it today. I am so slow today...plus pain.

I go in for alot of tests next week. I found a new GP...and she really seems to care that I am suffering. She wants me to have MRI, extensive blood work, & CT, etc. my hubby helped me set it up...so not even sure what i have to do...just glad to move forward!
    It all starts next Friday.

God Bless....Mari
    [This Message was Edited on 11/05/2005]
  14. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I was going, but I developed a little stomach virus, I think...I have the trots if you know what I mean. If it isn't one thing, it's another. Very trite but true.

I'm so glad to hear you have a doctor who is willing to pursue your pain. Thank goodness for that. I'm also glad your husband helped as those little detail things are very hard for me to do...how about you?

I'm sorry you're in pain today...I know the slows except I'm moving pretty fast to the bathroom! (-:

Take care. Keep me informed of your results.

Blessings,
    Sue
  15. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I've been there with bathroom thing. But, lately it's the other way around with me. We can't win!
    Try to feel well....Mari
  16. JChild

JChild New Member

Hi,
    I'm new at this. Just got diagnosed this year after suffering for a year. Sleep is very important for our bodies to repair itself. I have always had a hard time sleeping. Praise God my husband and I found the perfect mattress. We put it together through a catalog. Two 2" memory foams and one 5' extra firm foam. When I first had trouble a year ago I was at my sister's house and had a lot of pain on both my sides trying to sleep. When I got home and slept on my mattress I couldn't beleive the difference. I would hate to see how much pain I would be in trying to sleep on a traditional mattress. I am happy you got a good nights rest. I hope you have many more.
    <>< Barb