I started on the fentynal patch.. Duragesic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Aug 26, 2006.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

I began it last week, 50 mg, which I change every 3 days. I must say I have really noticed such an improvement. My pain has really lessoned and I am thrilled. He gave me 5mg percocet in case, but so far I have not needed it. I take ativan for sleep, the patch, lexapro, and soma and percocet if needed.

I sure hope this patch keeps working.

I wanted to share this news.

Hugz and best wishes friends.
  2. meowee

meowee New Member

I had hoped to get some advice. Any and all appreciated. xoxox
  3. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I'm happy to hear that something has worked for your pain. I've seen others here mention the fentynal patch.

I'm not familiar with this but I'm about ready to snap with my pain. Does this patch have side-effects to it....anything indicated on the script?

Just curious.....I need to do something here.

Thanks....scapper

p.s. FYI: just did a search on board for "fentynal" some interesting info...
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2006]
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

The fentanyl duragesic patch. It is the only thing to date that has ever taken my pain fully away.

I was on 25 mcg. I was able to stay on that dose for a few years.

The only problem I found with them is that they dont stick well. They talk about sprays you can use, but they dont work. I have used medical tape. I have heard of people using Tegaderm patches by 4M, I believe..which you can ask for at the pharmacy counter.

Good luck to you and I hope that you find the relief you have been looking for.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  5. ellie-b

ellie-b New Member

I have had great success with the pit I go to the FCC clinic and are really good to help I have been on the 100's down to the 25's, the only side effects I have had are, if they are too strong I sleep too much and tatchhey also cause consuspation so I take a stool sofner. I think I have been on them for over a year. I really like to FFC I agree it is expensive but when you concider a regular dr. visit is at an average of 7 minutes and when I go in to my dr. he spends an hour with me. I have improved alot but am a long way from being healthy like I was before this DD, but I feel like there is alot of learning to live with it, trying to look at the bright side and really learn to read your body. Right now I am having trouble with depression and I don't know how much is depression and how much is fatigur. I want a body scanner to tell me what to do to feel better.... Thanks to you all Ellie-b
  6. ellie-b

ellie-b New Member

where do you put the patch? I try to put is on my stomach or on my hip some place my clothers won't rub on it or catch when I take my clothes off. the only ones I had trouble with were thre 100's because they are a stiffer material. hope that helps. Ellie-B
  7. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

With the fentanyl patch you either put it on your upper arm or on your lower abdomen i think. These work on your whole body. Its just where you are most comforable having a patch on.

If you wear alot of tanks, you may want to put it on your lower abdomen. Vice Versa. I think it sticks well on my upper arm. I just switch arms every time I change it so it the area doesnt get irritated.

The one that just numbs the area you put it is the Lidocane patch. It is non-narcotic. The fentanyl patch is sinthetic morphine.

Hugs,
    Stephanie

Just and FYI, It is a good idea to stay away from heat. Heat can cause the fentanyl to dispense at a faster rate.

Also, the patches work best at the 24-72 hour period.[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  8. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

I have been on Durogesic for more than 4 years now and am way u in the triple figures.

its a great medication although it can be a nuisance, if only for getting used to remebering to change it every 72 hours!...Tip..use the date boxes...it's easy to think you'll remember but you wont remember what day you put it on sometimes

Regarding to where to put it.....the info tells you it must be on the upper body or upper arms excluding the inside of your upper arms

IT ISN'T TO BE PUT WHERE IT HURTS....after years of trying different places I have found that the outside of my upper arms is the best place as it doesn't rub off in the night/ because of bra-straps, cures on the body etc.

I'm suprised they started you on 50ug, it's more normal to start on 25ug and build up.

My Side effects: (after 4+ years) nausea until your body acostombrises to new doses or if it's hot, Constipation, lack of appitite, excess sweating and temperature always higher than usual.

I always change it first thing in the morning otherwise I don't sleep the entire first night.

I also find that I have a spurt of energy in the first afternoon..

You must stay away from heat sources direct to the patch ie. sunbathing, saunas or steam rooms, heatlamps (pointed at the patch) as this causes your pores to open and you'll receive a bigger dose which causes sickness....the same tends to happen on hot days, plus in hot weather you'll find that the relief on the third day isn't as great as your body has absorbed the meds quicker.

I started on normal durogesic and had trouble getting them to stay on after a shower or in hot weather, but on the back of the box there is an address where you can write to for patches to stick over the top to help keep them on.

About a year ago I changed to Durogesic matrix. this is the same med but doesn't have the gel and the whole patch is sticky, not just the border. it is dull as well as opposed to shiny plastic looking. maybe you can ask if this is available where you are (I'm in Spain)

You will need to increase the dose over time (after reaching 100 you go on to 2 patches!!!!) you can use this med a long time (i'm 34 and will problably be on it forever)

You'll have to get used to people asking you "are you giving up smoking?" LOL Most people are very interested when you explain what it is.

if your patch comes off because it gets wet then use a new one as water will rinse away the medication, I also find rubbing the area with alcohol first then rinsing with water helps it to stick better. If you're a fidgity sleeper use a tube bandage at night to stop it curling up or worse...coming unstuck and ending up on your partner!

Sorry this is so long but hope it helps..
  9. Treca

Treca New Member

for about 2 years but, it stopped working for me.

They started me on 50mg and that didn't work so they put me on 75mg and I was OK with that until about a year later and it wasn't lasting the full 72hrs. I ended up having to change it every 48hrs instead.

Whenever it got close to the time I needed to change it I was in a lot of pain. Once I put the new one on it took 24hrs for it to take into effect.

I got tired of changing it and the nasty gel stuff got stuck to my skin and you had to scrap it off and sometime scrubbing it in the show still didn't take it off. I just got so tired with it and I didn't want to go up to the 100mg.

Though I have to say that when the patch did go into effect for me I didn't feel any pain.

In the end it was to much of a pain in the butt to deal with it.

I hope that you have a better experience then I did and you can use it for years to come like hurtn2much has been.

Best of luck to you!

Treca:)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  10. meowee

meowee New Member

It is great to read everyone's experiences. I am on the 50 mg. I change it every 3 days and so far no troubles with it sticking. I put it on my upper chest, both sides, and upper back. You rotate it each time, never putting it on the same place twice. When I shower, I try not to scrub that area for 3 days, so the patch stays stuck. It is a very thin flexible patch about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide, with rounded corners.

I cannot say enough about how well I feel. I don't feel perfect or completely pain free, but I feel better than I have in YEARS. I feel as though I can move so freely and I am getting stuff done like I used to do.

I am not sure what kind of patch the other person had who put it directly on the pain. I know it was not this duragesic. As another poster said, you put it on your trunk area or arms, a place where there is very little or no hair.

Good wishes to all of you.
  11. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

12. Imfinetoo

Imfinetoo New Member

the fentanyl patch for about 8 months. At first I had great success with it and felt better than I had in years. Then I started having pain again, and my dr. increased the dosage. After a while, I needed a stronger patch. I went to my pain mgmt. dr. andhe took me off of it, because he didn't want me to become addicted and I also was afraid of being addicted. I do hope it works for you. At first my attitude was, I'm going to be this way forever so what difference does it make if I'm addicted. However, I became scared of what being "addicted" could mean, so I went off of it. I just went through a 6 month flare up, was taken off all my meds that I had been on for 6=8 years, and was started on Lyrica and Ultram ER. The first 4 days on the Ultram I had no pain, and then it was back. I don't know why, but last week, for no reason, my pain decreased to a tolerable level. I'm not taking a sleep medication now, I'm off of pain pills, and I have no answer for why it is better, but I'll take it. This is the longest flareup I have had in 20 years of having FM and I was ready to jump out of the nearest window. However, my brain fog is better, my pain is better, my attitude is better and I can just thank God for that.

I'll be anxious to see how you do with the patches. I do hope they continue to relieve your pain and that you do not have to go on higher dosages. Keep us informed.