I started working out in the pool, now after two days My legs ache, throb

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Jul 17, 2010.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I struggle to walk, sit and stand after doing exercise's in a therapy pool. I asked my friend to go with me to the clas's as i had three weeks of free pass's. WE started the class Rusty Joints on thrusday, woke up Friday still feeling my usual stiffness . FRiday afternoon we went in the afternoon and worked out for about an hour , we did most of the exercie's that wehad done the night before. We also did some deep end water areobics for the legs, stomache and waist.
    TOday is a day of rest as we don't want to over do it right away. I woke up early in the am with horrid leg aches that have been really intense and painfull. I haev not been abel to do much . I think I over did it. Now that it is late and I should be sleeping but I can't because my calves ache all over. I have the feeling of leg cramps that are so tight and my Msocnitn is not touching this pain and It hurts when I dont' move my legs. I just want to relax and sleep in my own bed with my hubby. What can I do for this sharp, pain . Help I need to know what to do to ease this pain. Pleas can you help me>I can't take much more of this never eding painl, I am in to much pain all the time now.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2010]
  2. valentinelynx

valentinelynx New Member

Everyone's different, but when I have pain s/t like what you describe, sharp or shooting muscle pain that doesn't respond to usual pain meds, I find a heating pad, or ointments that make a hot/cold sensation (like TigerBalm) often help enough to get me to sleep. A hot bath may help also. If you can take NSAIDs like Advil, they can help this pain some even if this kind of medication doesn't help with everyday pain.

If nothing helps the pain, sometimes I'll just read something light and distracting. It's still rest.

Best of luck. You are not alone.

3. kat211

kat211 New Member

My advice isn't going to be popular, but I have over done it before and I have found that 20 minute periods of heat, even a bath, and lightly using the the sore muscles. If you haven't exercised in a while your muscles are going to get sore, which is not the same as fibro/cfs pain. This is just what has worked for me.
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Rosemarie,
    I don't know what you can do for the leg pain, except, maybe magnesium. You might ask your doctor.
    I do have an idea about water therapy, though. Years ago my Dr. prescribed it, and I went, and was very sensible. I have never experienced so much pain in my life! I would be bed-bound for three days for every hour I spent in the pool, even though all I did was hang on the edge, and do some gentle leg movements.
    Then I discovered I was sensitive to chlorine, a sensitivity I first realized when I noticed that my fingers would go numb if any chlorine got on them. Well I stopped the water therapy and changed to gentle Chi Gong. I now do Chi Gong sitting down, with some weight lifting, and am doing much better in that respect. Hope this helps. Terry.
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

For me, nothing helps the extreme pain better than a fever bath, which will relieve the pain for three or four hours or longer. I used to be on a ton of meds, including oxycodone and oxycontin (I was on the last two for two years...)

I found out through experience and from reading that opiates cause increased pain in some people; plus, the relief from the opiates lasts a shorter and shorter amount of time... the opiates would wear off after a couple of hours, and my next dose wouldn't be for two more hours, and I would be left in excruciating pain until the next dose.

I was blessed to be able to go to a lifestyle center, and one of the kinds of treatment they use is hydrotherapy. They used steam baths and fever baths, hot and cold fomentations, and many other hydrotherapy treatments. I can't do the steam baths, etc., at home, but I can do the fever baths.

Fever baths are not for everyone, such as those with diabetes, and certain other health concerns. You can Google fever bath or fever treatment to learn more about it. Fever baths are also used when someone is sick... they help the immune system.

I'm no doctor; I just wanted to share what has been so helpful for me. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

I pray you find relief soon!

6. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Going to this class "Rusty Joints " is an easy on the joints class in warm water 90-95 degree's. The exercise's are go at your own pace and are really easy to do. It is my body that rebels when I start doing some thing new. I know htat I need to have my knee's replaced but I can't aford it so I am trying for the next best thing loseing weight I have lost 5 lbs in two weeks. NOthing fast just tryihng to cut out the sweet treats like chocilate mint choc chip ice cream sandwiches. I could eat two or three a day or night. So I stopped buying them and have decieded that I need to work out and eat better to lose weight so that it will help ease the pressure on my knee's. That way when I lose weight I maybe albe to slow the need for surgery .
    But I have found out that after I exercise and come home I have the most pain full leg aches. I know part of the reason for this nasty pain , DH turned on teh sweamp cooloer and it blows in to the lving room causeing my legs, calves and feet to FREEZE, It makes no difference if I bundle up to stay warm the cold always finds away to find me.
    I have been taking my meds on an as need basis. whcih has been bed time and am. I try not to take them during the daaay light hours.
    I am trying to keep on going to the work out at the pool and to shower off the smell of the pool.
    I am getting stressed because of the never ending pain in my cavles and feet. It gets so bad that I have to get up and stand up putting weight on my legs. I push , rub hard and put a heating pack on my legs to help ease my pain but it really does not help me much. I really want to not be in pain for a awhile wowo i would love ot not have any pain for an hour.
    I am doing the best that I can with what I have to work with . I dont' have much money to get my knee's replaced so I am working out to lose the weight and see if it will help me alot.
    Thanks for all your posts and support , kind words, It meanes alot to me I don't feel so all alone, I just want to be normal or more normal , have less pain and to take less pain meds too. What is going on with me. I am so pain that I want to cry. I am hopeing that the pain will ease up the more I work out. But who knows what my screwed leg aches will do.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I run in the shallow end of our pool. I have a watch which gives me my heart rate. When I get it up to 80-90 percent of maximum, I continue for about 20 mins. It helps my legs not to hurt. Well, one day I engaged in the very, very mild aqua exercises for older people. The exercises were not difficult nor stressful. The next day, I could hardly move, my legs hurt so much. When I see all the old people heading for the pool for the aqua exercises, it reminds me of the movie, "Cacoon." I just wish some aliens would "energize" our pool to make us feel younger and younger.

Take it easy and build up to working out.

Love, Mikie
  8. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I already don't like to go in pools because of the chlorine. If we stay on the beach at a place with a gorgeous sparkling inviting pool I ignore it and go straight for the healing ocean.

As for exercise, maybe a class might encourage you too much and you might do more than you should, trying to keep up with the instructor and others. I have a tendency to do that with exercise tapes. Like, why do I have to keep up with the instructor? Who's watching? (eye roll) I've had to work to keep it very light and not overdo.
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Poor dear I know the feeling.. The doc said I must do water exercise , well the same thing happened to me the horrible leg aches.. Found out it wasn't the exercise but the Chlorine..MCS.
    the same thing happens with other things that has nothing to do with exercise, such as trying to get a pedicure..

This may not be your problem I sure hope not.

10. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I found out the hard way that chlorine is not my friend. I ended up very sick when i took my son to the pool. When i had those muscle pains like that i would run a tub bath of the hottest water i could stand and dump two big bags of epsom salts in it. Id soak till the water got too cool to stay in anymore. It helped tremendously. Not the perfect solution but did ease the suffering. Hope you find what works for you!
  11. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Oh, yeah, duh, it would have fluoride since the water is fluoridated, right? And other chemicals.

As to chlorine I've heard that when European athletes come to the U.S. for the Olympics they refuse to swim in a chlorinated pool. Now I know it's a chlorinated, fluroidated pool.

How about a salt water pool? Is that a good option, besides oxygen treatment? Are either expensive, I think I heard one of the treatments was. If they are or take more work you can probably forget a city using them.
  12. Tizz

Tizz New Member

The first day I did PT in the pool it didn't seem like I'd done very much exercise -- until I got out of the water! Then I felt like a 1000 lb weight had just dropped on me, my legs were all wobbly, and my balance was nonexistant.

I was exhausted for the rest of the day after that; I dreaded getting up to go to the bathroom! And I ached all over, of course. The next morning I was really stiff and sore.

I do disagree with the comment that muscle aches and stiffness are normal after exercise, especially if you've been inactive. Yes, of course, that is always true, for anyone - not just people with fibro. But we pay a bigger "price" than most people do, if we don't really take it slow and easy.

After a month of warm pool therapy, now, I'm finding that minor exercise doesn't trigger muscle cramps and stiffness as much as it used to, and I'm delighted about that! PT in a therapeutic pool certainly doesn't cure fibro or take away all the pain, but it does seem to be helping me to move a bit more easily, and I'm glad my doc sent me there.