I startle easily/feels like a jolt of electricity?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gottalottalove, May 1, 2003.

1. gottalottalove

gottalottalove New Member

Sometimes (last night) when my husband speaks across the house, I jump for no reason and it feels like a shock of electricity jolts my body. Why is this? I am off my paxil now thank god, much needed break. I do take toprol for migraine prevention and a hydrocodone at night for rls etc. thats it. thanks Tina
  2. AC77

AC77 New Member

norephinephrine usually is the causative agent. I found on higher doses of Remeron I get it and a lot of pts complain of it, though it's not in the literature. It's just ancedotal knowledge. It could be a residual withdrawl effect from the Paxil--I venture to guess that's what it is, rather than your migraine or pain med. It may wear off. Klonopin should offset this effect in theory.

Now that I think of it, the Beta Blocker could be causing it too! It's the type of thing you need to come off one for a while to see what it is. If this isn't possible, a lower or less frequent dose at your dr's dicretion may help.

It's sounds medication related, especially if it is a new onset symptom. If you have had it all your life I would go with the panic/anxiety idea.
  3. 2girls

2girls New Member

I get the very same sensation, as do many of us here and I have had it for the past two years - one of my first symtoms and was taking NO meds.

2girls
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think most of us can relate to this 'Fight or Flight' sensation with FM. Dr. Devin Starlanyl addressed this in her book.

Sometimes it is caused by different meds, lack of them, or for no reason.

I have this sometimes, but it does come and go. It could be what mood I am in, if I am tired, stressed, etc.

I seemed to be better with it along with the RLS since taking magnesium, which is a natural tranquilizer, plus most people with FM/CFS are deficient in this important mineral.

Shalom, Shirl