I STINK Natural Deoderant doesn't work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sorekitty, Aug 12, 2008.

1. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

In my quest to have less chemicals in my life I tried out the crystal deoderant stick. By the late afternoon I could smell a slight B.O. smell. Mind you my sense of smell is very good. My dh says he doesn't smell anything but his sense of smell is not very good at all.

Next, I tried the Tom's of Maine long lasting in lavendar (smells good). Yet again by the end of the afternoon I am smelling the slight B.O. smell. I am not sweating very much just the usual.

Any thoughts as to why this doesn't work for me?

2. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

without being nosy I would ask what age bracket you fall in ~ I am in perimenopause ~ 54 ~ and have been b*tching about 'why do they not come out with menopause strength deodorant' for probably 3 years. there is now 'clinical strength'; chemicals, I know but worth it to me! costs a tad more but again, worth it! I smell better and worry less.
  3. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

42 years old. My naturopath told me my bloodwork shows I am not anywhere near menopause but can they really tell for sure. So I guess I just stink (lol). Actually I have a friend who I can ask (not to smell my arm pit) but in my direction and tell me what she thinks!

Maybe I should now go by the name "smellycat" ha ha ha

4. cct

cct Member

I had to try several different brands before I found one that worked for more that a few hours.

Have you tried Tom's of Maine new formula with hops? It is a little stronger.
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Molly!

Well, I notice that I smell more when I am detoxing. And all of us people with CFS have to do a lot of detoxing in the process of healing. Maybe it could mean that you are healing!

I tried a ton of different natural deodorants, including the crystal. None of them worked for me. Most of them seemed to have a strong smell that was meant to cover up human sweat smell.

Finally I found Lavilin, because it was listed on Kat James' website. It actually works! And you only have to apply it every three days! Although when I am detoxing hard it doesn't seem to last quite three days.

It's a bit hard to find, but my local health food store was able to special order it for me.

Like all the other natural deodorants, it doesn't prevent sweating, just smelling. And even the best natural deodorant doesn't hermetically seal your underarms like the synthetic deodorants do. I mean, if I stick my nose right in my armpit, I can smell my scent. But I think that a person standing a few feet away couldn't smell it.

6. FMseeker

FMseeker New Member

is after showering, washing under arms, towel off and rub citrus alcohol under arms. Before that dries, rub some triple antibiotic ointment onto the area. Then I spray some cologne, perfume, whatever to give a lasting nice smell all day.

I've had sweat problems for years, the more water I drink, the less I smell. If I knock coffee out, I smell better.

You can get your hormones tested (see ZRT Lab).
    If your primary care physician is cooperative and will work with you on this, they can write the script for the hormone you are deficient in.
    Find a compounding pharmacist and go the bioidentical hormone route.

That's what I've found amazingly helpful in the last few months.[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2008]
  7. Elisa

Elisa Member

I use a cream deodorant called Lavilin - it is fantastic and I have used it for years - it lasts as long as week or more without reapplication. It is all natural and has homeopathic ingredients in it - like arnica.

I absolutely love it and ordered two more today on Amazon!!

God Bless,

8. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

i absolutely love one of the tom's apricot deoderant, it smells so fresh and fruity and i can't get enough of it, but no matter how much i apply in the summer i feel like it almost causes me to smell worse than normal, bc after a few hours it wears off, it's also really dried out my skin, but in the winter time ive really never noticed either of these problems, i think in the summer you really just need a good normal deoderant, so i've switched to regular dove deoderant, good luck tho.
  9. Gumbo

Gumbo New Member

None of which work very good. I did try one highly scented one that was an European formula that worked fairly well on keeping me smelling fresh. But, if I used it after shaving, I developed a rash, so I quit.

The crystal roll on that K Mart sells worked for 4 or 5 hours IF I put it on, blowed it dry with a hair dryer, reapplied & blowed it dry again, and IF I didn't sweat a lot.

None of the Natural ones I tried kept me dry, so I was always feeling uncomfortable.

I went thru every anti-persperant at Wally World & found that Sure (unscented) had the least amount of aluminum. So, that's what I use during the summer BC I sweat a lot.

Would love to find a good natural one. Seems like everyone I know is looking for the same thing.
  10. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I am very lucky I haven't worn deodorant for maybe 15 yrs
    I could not find one that didn't irritate and I do not smell in the hot weather (and it get hot here Australia)
    if I am unsure in really hot weather I will have a quick underarm wash in the middle of the day
    I was a hairdresser too arms up over clients so I was very fussy
  11. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have read several times recently where people who were unable to use regular antiperspirant/deodorant have had great luck using milk of magnesia applied to their armpits.

Not sure if that fits with your quest to use less chemicals, but thought I'd mention it.
  12. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I ordered some to try along with foot deodorant. I'll also try the Milk of Magnesia, like after I shave since it says not to use the deodorant after you shave. The Milk of Magnesia is helping with pimples too. Good stuff, that. :)

13. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

My vote also goes to Lavilin. It's expensive, but a little bit goes a long way.

If you are fortunate enough to find a local source of USP Zinc Oxide (the active ingredient in Lavilin) it is quite easy to make up something similar at home. But it's messy, potentially dangerous if not handled correctly, etc.

The other thing to consider, esp. if you have more-than-a-pit-prob, is supplementing with oral zinc & chlorophyll. Both of these are effective internal deodorizers.

Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2008]
  14. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

Yup. That'll do it. If you do a search on perimenopause symptoms, you'll see a change in body scent on the list.

Crystal deodorant still works for me. But I apply it twice a day instead of once.

Love and hugs.

BILLCAMO New Member

Be thankful ! :>)

As a man , I've always had more B.O. than most women. Shortly after I "acquired" CFIDS/ME and FM , it got a lot worse.

And 99% of my showers wear me out. Even with deodarant and/or anti-persperant , I can smell my B.O. within 5 min. after a shower. I've tried changing soaps and Deods. No gain.

About 3 weeks ago , I added taking natural Zinc. So far , it has helped a little.

Blessings ,

16. tgirl

tgirl New Member

What works best for me is baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), after a shower I dust some on and it lasts all day. Nothing else does the trick.

I can't stand the smell of most deodorants (gives me migraines) nor do they work for long anyway.

17. cococafe

cococafe New Member

I have the same problem with deodorants. try milk of magnesia. just put it on after showering. works for me.
  18. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

There's a product that I've always wanted to try called "Body Mint". It's chlorophyl tablets that reduce a person's odor all over. Supposedly it's popular in Hawaii, and I guess they would know about sweating! lol
  19. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

foot deodorant days ago and have even showered once since then and i have not had to reapply it yet or even use any of my regular deodorant! And I smell good. :) Wow! That stuff is amazing... I was having to use deodorant several times a day before and it still wasn't working. I am soooooo grateful.

Thank you- thank you- thank you-

20. Elisa

Elisa Member

I just love Lavilin - its the best.

So so glad you are happy with it!!!!

God Bless,