I stopped eating sugar and carbs and cured 80% of my FMS problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hocking, May 12, 2003.

1. Hocking

Hocking New Member

Haven't touched sugar or any sort of carb for over 2 weeks. Highly recommend this approach.
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

That's what that's called and yes, it works wonders, doesn't it? My head clears up and anxiety disappears when I ditch the carbs and sugars, but I often falter and eat sweets, which I believe I'm addicted to. Then the trouble starts again!

Marilyn :)
  3. starstella

starstella New Member

I want to concentrate on more of a dietary approach myself, but find it hard to eat as good as I should with working and feeding teenagers. I'm going to give a better diet another shot again soon. I think it a key component to controlling toxins in the body.
  4. jmac

jmac New Member

Interesting to hear it is working for you, too. I've been off sugar and carbs for about 4 weeks now. I have noticed a big jump in my energy level, and I'm sleeping normally again with not a lot of FM symptoms.

I backslid yesterday in honor of mother's day and feel horrible today. I didn't sleep, the muscle spasms and back pain were back and the brain fog, too.

It's hard to stay on, but it has been worth it.
  5. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Did this for quite awhile, unfortunately not even a smidge better, so aI said chuck it. I still watch it. As my mom always said everything in moderation. My daughter had celiacs was off all wheat,barly,oat. Had to make her a potatoe cake for her B-day. Now that is yuck, not 1 kid would eat it. Anyway after 1 yr. watching everything,she had her good days and bad then all of a sudden got terribly ill, after all that. Hopefully it will last for you,since we are all diff. I have tried so many things I think it is making me crazy...You do NOT have to comment on that,lol.
  6. layinglow

layinglow New Member

So glad to hear you are feeling better hocking! 80% is great! I hope it continues for you.

I tried this for months and months and months---didn't help me a bit...oh, well..
    LL
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You could feed your teens a healthy diet too and they probably wouldn't even miss the carbs!

Marilyn :)
  8. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

I am very happy for your success. What method of eating are you using? Or are you just not eating carbs and sugar?I have tried with some degree of success and haven't been able to maintain any long term success. Do you have any tips. Nancy
  9. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi,

That is great news for you. Have you lost any weight. I need to lose some badly but scared the cut back on food will make my fatigue worse.
    Do you think this would work the same for CFS

Shazzy
  10. starstella

starstella New Member

My teens would just bust off extra energy heading for a fast food joint. My husband would probably offer them a ride so that he could go himself and get some "real food". But, they can't do that all the time, and then they would be mine :>)....caught in the healthy food trap!!
  11. leokat

leokat New Member

I could get my diet under better control. I seriously think I'm addicted to sweets and carbs.

I also comfort eat. I tell myself I have to put up with so much that I deserve to eat just what I want. However, I know this is bad reasoning - especially whhen the IBS kicks in! I feel so weak about this, especially as I have conquered smoking and am generally a strong willed person.

I fully agree with those who say that we become addicted to substances we are addicted to. Does anyone have tips for how to deal with this?

12. leokat

leokat New Member

I have one teenage daughter at home. However, I guess she really isn't the problem. We live near to a store so she can go get her own junk if she wants it!

The problem is my willpower. I only go shopping once every two weeks (except for veggies) and I always come home with too much junk.

My dietitian said much the same as you - just don't buy it. Would that I could stop myself. However, if there is no junk stuff around I feel like a junkie who can't get her fix.(I don't think I'm making excuses here) it really is like an addiction. When I see the stuff in the local supermarket I feel compelled to buy it. I find I tend to eat junk mostly in the evenings and at first it really does seem to give me a lift. It's only afterwards that I feel physically ill, my IBS flares and sometimes so do my other symptoms. Even so I go do it again. Just like an addict huh?

What I really need is something that will quash my cravings. Thanks Sue I will try the natural mints (though I don't much like mint).

It would be good to hear from anyone else who has any tips.
  13. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Never really ate the sugar much, my weakness was starchy stuff!!

I do NOT do Atkins or Somers, way too much fat & protein for me, and other than organic poutry, & fish, I eat no meat. But I DID cut the starchy carbs out, mainly because I found I was allergic to them. No gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, and the list goes on, for me anymore. Believe me, I spent the first 2 months after being tested, in total denial. Then I got with the program---these things are my personal "poisons". It helps me to look at it that way. I eat mostly fresh veggies, some fruit, poultry & fish, brown & wild rice.

And I do the rotation diet, common for highly allergic folks. Thought it was the toughest thing ever when I started, now I'm finding it easy. Just takes practice & planning. I had some great advice from folks here, like lifedancer, when I began, which helped greatly.

Someone recommended NAET or bioset to me, where your allergies are cured & you can go back to eating whatever you want. It's just my personal bias, but no thanks! The things I was eating were making me fat & sluggish, & very responsible for me going from food allergies, to eventually developing FM. The last thing I want to do is go back to eating that stuff! I've lost 15 lbs. in 10 weeks, now my problem is $$$----which is more important, my supplements, or new clothes that fit? I need both!!

I don't think there's one diet that covers us all, we are all individuals. But Hocking is on to something, cutting out sugar & excess carbs, plus drinking lots of good water, probably benefits us all!!

Hope you continue to feel lots better!!

Hugs,
    Pam

[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2003]
  14. sofy

sofy New Member

When you say you gave up all carbs are you talking about complex carbs too? Complex carbs are veggies, rice & beans and the like. I worry about a 100% protein diet for long term. We need our fruits and veggies ad some sort of grains now then for complete nutrition.
  15. starstella

starstella New Member

in your message you mentioned testing. what kind of testing did you have? cutting out simple carbs and sugar is pretty straightforward to me. but when it comes to elimination and rotation diets to find out what foods are actually toxic for me, i eventually give up before i gain any definite answers. so i'm never sure just what it is i shouldn't be eating.

Out of curiosity, i went for an interview with someone who assesses people in regard to their chakras to get his views on what i could do to improve my health. he used pulse testing and meridian charts, and in addition to giving me information about the status of my chakras, gave me dietary advice. He told me no meats except chicken and turkey, no seafood, no beans, no citrus, no dairy, including eggs, no berries (all these are toxic to me according to him) we ran out of time so i didn't get a complete diet review, but the restrictions that he was suggesting totally overwhelmed me. Of course, this person did not have any medical credentials (other than having worked as a physical therapist in another country which was when he discovered his ability to make people heal) so it was hard to accept the validity of his assessment of my food tolerances.

Anyway, i'm totally rambling....i just wish there was a simple method to determine hidden food sensitivities. Diet changes are hard enough, and the uncertainty of good and bad foods makes it worse.
  16. upoemaker

upoemaker New Member

Everyone just needs to check out the Atkins program. You don't have to buy into it full time..Just look around and read the books carefully. I SWEAR after I was put on amitrpytaline (?) for sleep after my initial fibro diagnosis, before I got the rheumatoid dx from the Mayo Clinic I had gained 30 + pounds in about three and a half months. After I saw the Mayo rheumatologist I was told that this drug affects some people in a strange way and makes them gain weight NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO TO TRY TO CHANGE IT!!! After this conference I literally threw the drug into the trash, realized what was happening and got back to my Atkin's program. I'm fighting lots of stuff with the rheumatoid arthritis, but still hanging in there...not that I'm at my desired body weight, but within three months I had lost forty pounds.

So, if I can help you just by giving you a hand and an encouraging word, please let me know!

LOVE AND HUGS TO EVERYONE
  17. dd

dd New Member

So glad that you are feeling so much better.

I have been on the Atkin's Diet since the summer of 2001 due to my Hypoglycemia. I must say that my initial thoughts about the diet were not favorable but I stuck with it and I have improved so much. I have lost close to 100 pounds and have increased energy and just basically feel better all over. I still have my bad FM and CFS days if I overdue it but overall I am feeling better. I also started to take vitamins and minerals at the same time I started the diet so I am not sure which is doing what for me...but it's working.

Keep up the good work.

Debbie
  18. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I went to an allergist/immunologist who is a regular MD. He tested me via skin testing, and blood testing, for both inhalant (which I've had all my life) and food allergies. I had never been tested for the foods before, and had no clue (I mean, I had no obvious things like IBS problems, or the kind of life-threatening things like some folks with peanut allergies do) that I even HAD food allergies. I found out I had very high numbers in the "highly positive" range especially to milk & gluten. There are food allergies (that affect you within a couple of hours after eating) and food sensitivities (that may affect you as much as 2 to 3 days later)----I had both to many foods. I eat a really limited diet now, because dairy, gluten, soy, eggs, potatoes, corn & some nuts & fish are NO NOs for me now. I eat a lot of fresh veggies. But I swear I'm eating a lot healthier & am even starting to----and I say this cautiously----feel better. I do the rotation (not eating any one food family more often than every 4 days) so I won't get allergic to the things I CAN have. I thought it would be horribly hard, but it's actually pretty easy now. Eating out is tough, though----you have to know what's in everything!

BTW, the allergy testing (also including candida testing) was all paid for thru insurance. The only type of testing I had which wasn't covered was the heavy metals toxicity testing, which was about $42 or something.

Hope this helps!

Hugs,
    Pam
  19. Hocking

Hocking New Member

I guess you could call this an Atkins way of eating. First, I cut out all things containing sugar. Atkins induction (first 14-21 days) allows 20g of carbs; a medium apple has 40+. I eat lots of dark leafy veggies, broccoli, zucchini, string beans, asparagus, and celery. Meats like chicken, steaks, hamburger patties, fish, seafood plus eggs. I eat some cheeses, but not too much. Dessert, which I can't live without, is sugar-free jello (no fruit--darn). I have lost 12 pounds in 16 days and yes, a lot of it is water weight but I don't really care about the weight-loss aspect. I will tell you that the first 4 days are very hard, but then it gets much easier. Think about it: you do not need bread, cookies, chips, donuts, pasta, mashed potatoes, but you do need the stuff I eat (okay, maybe not the sugar-free jello). I take multivitamins, potassium, vitamin E and my regular meds. Have not had a significant flare since I cut out the sugar and carbs.
  20. IngaDinga

IngaDinga New Member

I am soooooo addicted! I've given up smoking but I can't seem to ditch the comfort food. :(