I Survived Six Hours of Neuro-Psychological Tests!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I saw a neuro-psychologist and his technician yesterday for the better part of the day as part of my divorce proceedings. It was pretty grueling, and I have no idea how I did. The good thing was that both the neuro-psych and the assistant are very savvy about CFS and I didn't need to explain anything to them. I will post when I have results. Thanks to all who supported me.

Hippo
  2. Hippo

Hippo New Member

All they told me is that memory problems definitely showed up. The doctor said that he could spend 3 or 4 hours interviewing me, but he wasn't going to waste my money. He said that he didn't even care what was wrong with me or why, the point is that I can't function. I was really glad that he "got" it, after a disturbing experience with a psychiatrist in June. I am sure everyone here knows how upsetting it is to deal with a clueless doctor.

Hippo
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm glad things went better than you expected and they were knowledgeable about CFS. I also hope they gave you lunch!

Annette2
  4. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

I am going to a neuropsych. in Sept. for memory problems ordered by my neurolgist. Can you fill me in on what they did? You are a trooper! 6 hours- I would be brain dead after that!

congrats!
    Courtney
  5. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Believe it or not, I had to pay for that humiliating psychiatric evaluation MYSELF. I believe it went haywire due to (a) my attorney being clueless as to what type of medical professional would help my case, and (b) the cluelessness of this particular psychiatrist regarding CFS. I probably should have seen the neuro-psychologist right off the bat and skipped the shrink. I can't advise you on what you should do regarding your disability, other than it's always wisest to err on the side of caution. Thank you for your comments.

Hippo
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

No, no lunch, although they did offer me a break. I was too nauseated and nervous to think about eating. However, the doctor charges $330 an hour and he SAVED me 3 to 4 hours of his time, because he said it wasn't worth interviewing me, which is worth a good deal more than a free lunch! Thanks for your comments.

Hippo
  7. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I will tell you what I can remember, however, there is no guarantee that you will be given the exact same tests. The first thing they did was a computer activity where you press a button every time you see a little black box appear on the screen. This tests what they call "vigilance," and it lasts 22 minutes. Us CFS patients usually zone out.

I was also given a geometrical shape to copy, quite complicated, which I did. She then took away the picture and gave me a fresh piece of paper and told me to draw it from memory. This was nearly impossible. After some more tests, she then gave me ANOTHER piece of paper and told me to draw it from memory again (after an additional 30 minutes had elapsed). I also had to memorize sequences of numbers, forward and backward, also remember and repeat back lists of words, and categorize them (food item, animal, or mode of transportation).

There were some activities that I didn't understand at all involving geometric patterns. They gave me some pictures of shapes, and I was supposed to figure out what the pattern was and what the next item should be in sequence. This was extremely difficult.

I was also given cubes that were half red and half white, and I had to copy patterns that the technician showed me.

The technician read short stories to me and then asked me to repeat the stories back to her with as much detail as I could recollect.

That's all I can remember; if I think of anything else, I will post again.

Hippo
  8. Hippo

Hippo New Member

The funny thing was, not only did they not offer me any salt (LOL), they didn't even seem to think they had done anything wrong and couldn't figure out why I was upset with them!!!

Hippo