I survived the ice storm and have beautiful pics to show

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hello everyone-have you missed me?? I have missed all of you. I just spent 6 days without power, one day no phone or water. THe water plant lost power.

I do have a large wood stove and a small cord of wood so I stayed here and cooked on the wood stove, pancakes, toast, oatmeal even a small frozen pizza. The power came on last night around 7 and I was SOOOOOOOO grateful.

So I spent my day taking pictures, went to my aunts house one day to take a shower, otherwise used warm water from the stove to bird bath in. I do not want to have to go threw this again but I was one of the lucky ones as a lot of people had to go buy kerosene heaters or just leave. One of my friends went to a motel. Since I have the dogs it limited what I could do, my aunt is 89 years old, a lovely indendent woman and would never put her in the situation with the dogs.

My pictures are at the link above, I did add a few to my art file too, the ice storm has it's own album. I took over 300 pictures and videos and spent most of last night going threw them as all I could do was turn the computer on, upload them, check email and turn it off again. My battery time was about 1 1/2 hours max. Then I had to take it to nieghbors that did have power to charge it then using dial up- sooooo slooowwwwwwwwww- took 15 minutes just download my email one day.

TOday will be spent cleaning up, getting my food from the ice it is buried in and then to Wally's for other stuff that I did lose.

Was anyone else here affected by the storm? I hope not, wouldn't wish it on anyone-Carla

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2009]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Glad to see ya back. Sounds like you had a pioneer adventure. Is your wood stove one of those
    big old black ones? My granma had one. She kept flat irons on it; the kind w/ a detachable

How about lights? Kerosene lanterns? We sometimes used those when I was a kid. The lights
    went out occasionally during a storm, but never for more than an hour or two.

Couldn't see the pix. Have to register and what not. I see on the news Kentucky was hard hit.

The girls have cabin fever?

3. ckball

ckball New Member

I changed it so try this

I forgot I was still in the editing the site stage. I had to sign out.

I only had candles, no kerosene, I can't stand the smell. Yes I have a large Lilly Buck Stove, big and black, it also has blowers but don't need them as it would run you out of the living room. It heats the whole house, 1500 sf, with the cost of eletricity I will be using it a lot more.

OUr rates took a giant leap this year, wood is much cheaper, just messy but it is WARM so I will survive-Carla
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Now I saw them. Fierce Fotos! Beautiful but deadly.

I remember some mornings in Minnesota, the trees would be coated in ice. When the
    sunlight fell on the ice the whole world seemed to be made of diamonds. It was

I don't remember the odor of kerosene lanterns. I do remember the chimneys smoked up
    fast. Kind of a nuisance to wash.

Does your stove have a vent so you don't get smuffacated?

5. ckball

ckball New Member

Rock yes the sun on the iced trees looked pretty cool, I like how you described, like diamonds everywhere.

Cate, I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my camera and puter, as you see I live in a beautiful place so all you have to do is point and shoot and you have a great pic. Everything you saw was taken from my front and back porch or a short walk down the road.

I hope your family gets power soon, I truly feel for them, I never want to have to go threw that again. I was one of the lucky ones as I had my big wood stove, it has paid for itself a long time ago, altho I burned up $60 worth of wood in a week because it was so cold but better than a $300 electric bil.

Glad you both enjoyed the pics-Carla
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Carla - What lovely pictures. You certainly do have an eye for beauty in photos as well as your glasswork. You are very talented !! Leave it to you to find the beauty in a terrible snow storm.

You and CATE certainly were very innovative in trying to keep your cold foods COLD !!

Cate - Sorry to hear about your birth mother. That is a terrible thing to have happen. We had something similar happen to others here in TX due to the deadly hurricanes. Glad she was not hurt however.

7. sisland

sisland New Member

So glad your OK!,,,,Thoes ice storms are no fun!,,Thank goodness for the Big-Black wood stove!,,,,,You have a true pionering spirit,,,we grew up with wood heat only and the warmth you get from it is un- comparable!,,,,,,going to check out the photos!,,,,,,Hugs!,,,sis
  8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

This is all too familiar. We went through his here in Jan 07, and were without power for 10 days. Most of the city was without power. It was around 0 degrees outside and in. We stayed with my son for a few days, then came home and roughed it. My poor elderly cats were home alone, and I felt gulty. I learned that no amount of layers, coats and blankets will keep you warm in 0 degrees! I built "caves" for each of my cats - a box lined with blankets and only a small entry hole. They loved them and stayed in them till the heat returned.

We finally broke down about a week in and bought a kerosene heater and a generator so we could watch tv. Near the end, a friend came over and hooked our heater up to the generator.

It was beautiful and fascinating for a few days. But it was a miserable experience. It seemed like we would never have power again. Nothing to do but sit and huddle in blankets and wait. Even the sky was gray.

I remember the day when the utility company finally made it to our street. We watched out the window, thinking "No, this can't really be happening." And the feeling of extreme joy when the power came on... I had to hold myself back from running outside and hugging all the utility workers, and throwing myself at their feet. They were like gods to me!

Afterwards though, it continued to be a nightmare. We lost almost every tree in our yard. Every inch of our back yard was literally filled with downed trees. The streets throughout the city were lined with 6' high walls of debris. So it was like driving through a tunnel. After the long cleanup, it was shocking and sad how many trees our city lost.

Now, everytime there is any mention of ice coming our way, the whole city freaks out. The stores are jammed with people expecting the worse.

One positive thing - In a disaster like this, you really learn a lot about humanity. People are good deep down. Everyone is ready to help out their neighbors in need.

I am glad you had heat to keep you warm! It sounds like you made the best of the situation. Plus you got some great pictures!
  9. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

What beautiful photos...I hope you are still okay, as I am north of you and know more bad weather is here now...good to know you were able to stay safe.
    We had a few power outtages in my neighborhood last week but nothing compared to KY...more snow here than ice.
    Take Care,

PS Foreverkid, wow, what a story you had too...one to pass on for a long time!
  10. ckball

ckball New Member

I am sorry to hear I am not alone in the "Surviviors" club! 4ever- wow 10 days in 0 degrees and no heat, I felt the same way when the power truck guys came up here Sunday. I went down there and thanked them all. They came from Indiana, took them 2 days just to get here due to the weather.

Sis yes I love my big black stove but it is a messy job for sure, right now my lastest delivery of wood hasn't been fully seasoned and got wet from the storm so buring has been a real pain but am so thankful I have it.

Yes it was nice to see people helping other people and I was inviting people here and my nieghbor David did come stay for one day then his cousin found him a kerosene heater and went back home.

Pain since you are up north I know you were slammed with snow, I have a freind near Columbus out in the boonies and has been snowed in for about 2 weeks.

Granni I remember your ordeal and what a mess it was.

Thanks for looking at the pics and glad you enjoyed them. I try to be a positive person and see the best in any bad situation, so this was my way of dealing with it-Carla

11. sisland

sisland New Member

Did you see the story on the news last night about the horse that had fallen through the ice on a pond in KY.,,? It took alot of rescue folks to get him out!,,,and they said it took them 8 hours!,,,,,,But in the end all was succesful!,,,,,a beautiful Quarter/ Apolossa,,combo!,,,,It was great to see him running around after they got him out!,,,,,,,S
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

You are so talented. I would be happy to have any one of these photos blown up and put on my wall, they are gorgeous.

I've bookmarked your site so I can look at your other photos at my leisure. Hope you don't mind.

I hope the snow melts soon and everything back to normal for you.

13. ckball

ckball New Member

Sis no I didn't see that, but so glad they same the horse, wow 8 hours in a frozen pond. I did hear on my local news that they found 2 elderly people dead in their homes yesterday, one had a heart attack then hypothermia, they other one was oxyzen dependant. So sad that no one was there to help them or check on them.

Rosie you can take any picture you want. You click on the picture then click SAVE AS and save it to your picture file then you can put it on a cd and take it to your photo store, or print it on your own printer if you have a good one. I don't have them copy right protected but not worried if someone wants to use them. So help yourself. I put them on line to share with others so bookmark me any time, LOL- Carla
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thats brilliant, didnt know I could do that.

many thanks. I'll let you know when I do it.