I survived!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 4, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I survived the doctor's appointment. whew. It actually went pretty well. He told me he did not believe fibromyalgia is real, but recently changed his mind. We agreed that it is probably an immune system malfunction.

I think he was impressed with my health history, which included current problems and goals and objectives. (I KNEW those education classes would be useful someday...) Saved a lot of time having it all written out already.

Approaching him with a positive attitude helped, too, I think. My goals are to decrease the pain, increase my endurance, decrease my need for medication, and live a normal life. He liked that. I hope I can meet those goals.

I'm not too impressed with his clinic assistant, at least the one who did my vitals and got the paperwork started. She used an ear thermometer, and took the temperature of the outer part of my ear. You would think a temp of 95.3 would indicate it wasn't done properly... I suggested she re-do it, but the thermometer wouldn't work right. Poor thing, I think I scared her, I'm such a big bad RN! *g* I try to be gentle with the assistants, but sometimes they get nervous around me. gosh.

I am not sure the doc has anything new for me, but seems willing to listen and seems open minded. I guess I can't ask for much more at this point. He ordered the standard lab tests, and an x-ray to see if there is any structural problem with my neck above or below the fused vertebrae. So, tomorrow morning before breakfast I will scoot down to the lab (as best as I can scoot early in the morning...) and get the blood drawn. I'll get the x-ray done this week, hopefully.

Interestingly, I told him I had started back on the Prozac, and he said, "good, you're depressed." I asked him how he knew I was depressed, and he said that people with fibro usually are. That may be true, but I think I need to educate him... That said, I do feel better on the Prozac, and plan to stay on it awhile. It's a low dose, but enough for me.

I hope I was a good ambassador for others with fibro who this doc may meet in the future. I think he will be an ally.

I celebrated surviving the appointment by going to CostCo. Spent too much, but my freezer is stocked with lovely organically grown frozen veggies, and there are some fun things (healthy things!) in my kitchen, to eat. I do like spending money!

Anyway, that's the update.

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

at least he's in your corner and believes in fibromyalgia.that's half the battle.
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Glad your visit went so well. Isn't it a relief when it's over, good, bad or indifferent? No more anxiety...it's done.

Well done!
    Sue
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

for your responses. It is a relief, kind of like I can get back to everything else I need to do, and that's plenty right now.

speaking of which, time to get up from this desk and do!

Beth.
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have FM and I am not depressed. I am not too happy about it but that does not = depressed. I am glad no one has said that to me!!!

Sonya
  6. achy

achy New Member

"Approaching him with a positive attitude helped, too, I think. My goals are to decrease the pain, increase my endurance, decrease my need for medication, and live a normal life. He liked that."

I never thought about how MY atttude, words, and body language was viewed by a doc. Its really helped improve the relationship with my medical Team.

Sis has been an RN for 30 years, now a supervisor with hospice. I have always admired nurses...your a different breed. GOd Bless ya for what you do!!

achy