I think I had mono and didn't even know it!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Mar 26, 2009.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

A few weeks ago (late February in to early March), my family was very sick with what I thought was the flu. It was very similar to the flu that we had last year, except for the onset of it. It started with that hot "feverish" feeling where you just know you are coming down with something, know what I mean? Then my stomach really hurt, but only for a day. Then I felt much better for the rest of the week. I thought maybe I had been trying to come down with something, but fought it off. Then, the beginning of the next week, I woke up with a WICKED sore throat and swollen glands. My dd had this a few days before. Then my son followed suit a few days after.

Stubborn person that I am, I did not take myself or the kids to the doctor. I prefer to treat colds and flu and stuff at home as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I don't trust doctors, and since we stopped vaccinating our kids, we try to avoid the pediatrician like the plague.

Anyway, it progressed much like the flu - a miserable week and then improvement, and then a cough that just lingered on for another week or 2. Of course, I felt weak and fatigued, but that's always normal after having any kind of illness for me. My kids are all fine and recovered now too, thank God.

Well, the thing that alerted me that it was possibly mono instead of the flu is that my aunt came down with exactly the same symptoms as us the past 2 weeks! The weird onset of the feverish feeling and sore tummy, then feeling better for several days, and then the wicked sore throat with swollen glands. Well, she being smarter than me, went to the doctor and had a strep test and blood tests, and they diagnosed her with mono. They were shocked that she had it at her age (51).

Anyway, I guess I can't know for sure, since I didn't get diagnosed. But it sure seems like it to me. My FM sure has been flared up too, since I had it. Although I'm over all the acute symptoms.

Has anyone else had this as an adult? From all the stuff I've read on the web, this is supposedly something you get as a child and then have lifelong immunity, but I kind of doubt that with both mine and my aunt's experience this year.
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i think if you had a blood test, it could tell if your Mono is in an active state. if you were just recently sick i bet it will show up kinda elevated. doc checks my mono(ebv) from time to time to see if it's in an active state, especially when im feeling really bad.
  3. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

You can have mono as an adult. My sister has it right now and she's 32. I had it as a teenager so hopefully I'm immune since it takes me forever to get over the smallest illness. Unless you are willing to go see a Dr and have yourself tested you will never know. Just a heads up-when I had mono I was bedbound for 6wks because it invaided my spleen so I would keep an eye on your kids to make sure they are completely healed.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You can still be tested for the EBV....my husband had this happen a few years ago.

I was too sick to notice just how sick he was but when he eventually got to the doc, he did test pos for EBV and the doc was very concerned about it.

He's never been the same health wise since....

Please have this checked....