I think I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome info PLEASE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'm going to the Dr today but I think I have PCOS. Anyone else? What has your experience been? Symptoms, Treatment, etc.?

I have had irregular menstruation, wt gain, hair on my face, lost hair on my head, acne, and a lot of abdominal discomfort. Does this sound about right?

I would love to hear from you.

Sofia
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i dont have it but my friend does it is like a prediabetic condition she is on metforman(spelling?)i know it is harder to get pregnant also my friend has most of your symptoms from her hormones being off. charlene
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14. The only thing really that they did for me was put me on Yasmin so my hormones would even out. They said since they caught it early I shouldn't have much trouble getting pregnant and so on.

I recently got put on metformin because my cortisol levels were so high due to stress, and probably the PCOS, my fibro dr said.

Before I went on the Yasmin I would have HORRIBLE cramps that would cause me to either have to leave school or not go at all, I gained a fair amount of weight -mostly around my midsection, and I had horrible acne. Most of that's gone away now. I still have trouble with bad skin but that may just be genetic.

That's my experience with it. I hope that you don't have it, but if you do, I hope you have a doctor that knows what he/she is doing.

Best wishes,
    Jen
  4. darude

darude New Member

I've had this for years and only just found out I have a pituitary tumor
  5. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I personally think this disorder is highly related to CFS. I first started having multiple ovarian cysts more than 30 years ago when, I don't believe, this term existed. I did a lot of research over the years and learned that multiple ovarian cysts is related to underlying thyroid problems. Though I had been tested for thyroid problems as a teenager, hypothyroidism never showed until I had undergone surgical menopause. Estrogen, thyroid, and progesterone all interact. The experts are saying that CFS typically has an underlying hormonal imbalance. Thus, it wouldn't surprise that a huge portion of the CFS population may also carry the diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Well, that's my two cents worth.
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I went to my Gyne today to check this out.

She said she felt a mass and wants me to go for an ultrasound to see what it is. She also drew my blood to test for Ovarian cancer.

I know it's probably cysts or fibroids but what if it's cancer?! I'm scared.

I looked ovarian cancer up and it pretty much sounds like a death sentance. And I have all the symptoms!

I won't know for a week. I hate the wait. I'm scared.

Sofi
  7. paige51

paige51 New Member

I have had a cyst on my ovary since the first of the year. will have another ultrasound in january, this will make the third one since it was found.

my next ultrasound is scheduled for january, if it is still there, i will be getting it removed.

i do not believe in taking chances with my health.

paige51
  8. cbel

cbel New Member

I had all the same symptoms for about 1 year. When i went for my yearly physical the Dr. felt a mass and i was scheduled for an ultrasound. They found a large ovarian cyst and was suggested to be followed for 3 months by ultrasound. On the third ultrasound it had gotten bigger and was told it needed to be removed and sent for testing. As it grew it started to cause more trouble and was taken out in an emergency surgery. Although the surgery and drugs affected me a great deal i was relieved to know that the biopsy came back as benign, Whew what a releif. Most ovarian cysts are benign and do not necesarilly mean you have PCOS. Best advice be persistant get it out and get it checked. Best wishes and good luck to you.
    Cbel
  9. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Sofia:

I was also dx with PCOD about 6 months ago. I was given metformin as well. I had gone though a year of abnormal menstrual bleeding (bleed all the time, and really heavy during periods). I had 2 internal ultrasounds, which showed ovarian cysts. I had been having them for a number of years, and was told that they were benign as they shrank in size or went away on their own.

In September I had a D&C which revealed pre cancer in my uterus or endometrium. It was called complex hyperplasia atypica. My gyn gave me two options, take medicine and have biopsies every 3 months. Or have a total abdominal hysterectomy. At first I thought I would do the medicine and wait, but after looking into my options, I changed my mind and went for the hysterectomy, which I had 11/17/06. I also had to have pelvic lymph nodes tested. Fortunately, the pre-cancer had not spread, and there was no evidence of cancer anywhere. I am glad that I had it done.

I believe that there are many reasons that we have these issues, and think that it could certainly be related to hormonal and other levels.

Also, I went to an endocrinologist in April who thought I either had congential adrenal hyperplasia, or Cushings Disease. Strangely, the first one would be treated with a low dose of prednisone and the second would have been as a result of taking prednisone for 5+ years for RA. Not sure if actually have either one now, but I do feel much better after having the hysterectomy. Not sure how old you are, or if you have had kids, but I am 44 and have a 7 year old daughter.

Good luck, and hope that everything comes out fine.

Ingrid
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thank you for your responses and support.

They found a 3.5 mm cyst on one ovary and said something about an endometrial stripe of 6 mm.

My CA 125 came back OK.

My hormones are off. My FSH is quite low, along with a low testosterone and low progesterone.

They didn't go over everything with me yet - they scheduled another appt for me to come in and discuss it all.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Sofi