I think I understand flareups

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by discoverygal, Mar 2, 2009.

1. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Hi All,

I am in my first official long-term flareup: long term being lasting longer than 7 days. I've been in progressive pain for 6 years, diagnosed almost 2 1/2 years ago, and have good days and agony filled days. The worse never lasting more than 3 or 4 days.

Over the past 2 1/2 years, I've read about flareups and how long they've lasted, and what they have entailed and didn't understand how a flareup can last 6 months. I think that when the pain increases drastically and quickly, and stays, I've got to think that it will end and get easier to live with. It's only been a week and no sign of it ending or slowing down yet.

So, I'm in a flareup that has lasted 7 days. It's not an increase in the illness if it's a flareup-this will not last!

Pray it will end soon
  2. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Mine has progressively gotten worse and I am mostly in constant pain with some days being worse but, the pain never leaves and even my good days are bad. I am mostly bedridden now and I use to be a workaholic. Minimize stress and try not to do things that agravate it. Good luck
  3. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

You are where I see myself in, at the most, 5 years. Oh BobbyCat, I'm so afraid. How are you coping, do you take anything to help? Or better yet, does anything help? In your short post, I can sense that you are strong. God bless you.
  4. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Sometimes I cope and sometimes I don't. I did not want to stop working as I loved my job so that was tramatic for me and sent me into deeper depression. I work through it and hopefull you have a good support system. If your insurance allows it I think accuputure and massge help however, you need to find a chiness accuputure not japan as the japan did not work for me. I am on meds and those have increase to stronger pain pills over the years. If you can go to a pool for arobic classes try salt water pool prefered. Chlorine not good but it will do. I took the Senior citizen classes although I am not there yet. They were a blast though. Try to keep moving as much as posible I have difficult with this as I have also been in two car accidents causing me to have chronic dizzyness. Once you stop moving many other problems develop such as circulation, muscel loss, etc. Hope this helps.
    Also continue to research and make sure that you take control of your own health and do not just listen to what the doctors say. Make sure they understand your condition, have it well documented as it may come to the time that you may have to apply for SSD. I hope not but you need all of your health well documented.
  5. stschn

stschn New Member

Read seashel's post of 3/3 on research.
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Interesting thoughts you have. I've had FM since 2004. For 3 1/2 of those years, I would have considered myself fairly stable. Certainly constant pain, but I only lost a couple of days work when things got too rough (i.e. flares).

In the past year, after an accident I had (concussion/shoulder injury), my FM has gone into overdrive. Some of it can be explained by a recent diagnosis of degenerative disc disease in my neck and lower back, but certainly not all.

My family Dr. believes that triggers cause an increase in the way immune systems react to FM. In my case, the trigger was the accident, but triggers can be anything from increased stress, viruses, etc. My FM originally started from a severe virus...not unlike many others here.

When flares don't seem to go away, I believe as well, that we come to accept the higher levels of pain, but don't look into what possible has been the trigger for the change. It becomes our new reality. With my new reality, flares come in the form of increased fatigue.
    My medications have been increased, which does help somewhat, but I'm not sure that it's better pain relief, just that I seem to care less about it.

All the best,