I think I'm developing RA,my mother has it.I'm 36.

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by vlcboleman, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. vlcboleman

    vlcboleman New Member

    The past few weeks I've had trouble with painful stiff joints in my hands.Should I see the Dr. now or wait and see if its just fluke?
  2. daylight

    daylight New Member

    See a doctor for piece of mind. Hopefully you won't have it
    but if you do early treatment can save your joints.
    Good luck,

  3. wendysj

    wendysj New Member

    I can't even file my nails right now. I just went to Rheumy to get tested for RA and Lupus. My hands have been swelling too. Not just the joints, all over. Are your hands swelling? Joints or all over?
  4. therealmadscientist

    therealmadscientist New Member

    Some better treatments available recently that may prevent progression.
    Maybe, meanwhile try some aspirin. mr bill
  5. TwoCatDoctors

    TwoCatDoctors New Member

    A rheumatologist is trained on the immune system diseases and will do blood and other tests and make an initial diagnosis and possibly continue testing for a few months just to see what the norm is for your blood work. BUT, whatever the rheumy finds, he/she can help you from progressing to something much worse, particularly since your mom has OA and RA.

    Sometimes an immune disorder doesn't show up clearly in the blood right away, and it might take the Rheumy hanging with you for a year or so checking your blood work before the levels fall into a clear diagnosis. People on the Lupus board have said this too. Good luck and hugs.