I think my pain gauge has just busted!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sdtrejo, Apr 19, 2011.

1. sdtrejo

sdtrejo New Member

Today, I'm in so much pain that I need a buddy that understands what fibro feels like! I have always been a very strong willed person so my family even though I've explained to them what fibro is seems to feel that I am invinsible. I just need to vent, on top of fibro I have had inthe last 3 yrs 3 cervical spine surgery so anywhere I turn there is a reason for pain , oh! yes I take meds but ask me if they help!
  2. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I wanted you to know that I have experienced your frustration and understand how it feels to be worn down by pain. I know there are lots of us that need a place to vent so please forgive me as I rattle on.

Spinal problems affect us in so many ways, I believe, since it is 'hub' of our whole nervous system. People that haven't experienced the unrelenting nagging pain find it difficult to relate to, I believe. Heaven forbid, they should understand fibro. I was diagnosed with fibro in 1990 whenthe syndrome first became understood. The stigma of it being a 'legitimate' dis-ease makes me hesitate to mention it to doctors at times.

As for family not understanding, that is pretty common too. I am blessed to have an empathetic husband (he lives with a lot of pain himself) and a daughter who will graduate from RN school in June who truly will be a compassionate nurse. I have two other daughters who 'fired' me as their mother six years ago. In 2008, my 34 year old son died as a result of mixed chemical intoxication - taking medications as prescribed by his doctor.

I dislike taking medication for pain and I agree that they are not very effective. At most, they take the 'edge' off. Chronic pain is no fun to live with - there is no getting around it. I try to be more forgiving with myself nowadays. If I feel like crap, I slow my pace a lot and figure if I can accomplish just a couple of things in a day oh well.

Please don't feel guilty about venting. It is supposed to be good for us anyway - helps to prevent heart problems instead of bottling up our emotions! Give yourself credit for just hanging in there and doing the best you can. That is all we can expect of others and hopefully we give ourselves some credit for trying.

Gentle hugs - Val
  3. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Welcome to Prohealth! So glad you found us; this is a great place to find help, information, and fellowship with people who "get it!"

I come here often, especially when I'm in a lot of pain and can't do much else but read (and even then, usually when pain is elevated, my "brain fog" is thicker!). Right now, I'm in a terrible "crash/flare," and I feel like I'm not making any sense whatsoever.

I just wanted to welcome you, and let you know I'll be praying for you! Many blessings to you,