I think my question is more medical in nature

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Sep 24, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

What am am wondering is this...Because of certain physical symptoms i show, my doc seems to think there is a chance that something autoimmune is going on i.e. Lupis or rhuematoid arthritis. He gave me the prednisone because it is his belief that if it does work that I don't have FM and do have something autoimmune. My question is can prednisone help someone with FM or does the fact that it is working mean that I have something else??
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

What am am wondering is this...Because of certain physical symptoms i show, my doc seems to think there is a chance that something autoimmune is going on i.e. Lupis or rhuematoid arthritis. He gave me the prednisone because it is his belief that if it does work that I don't have FM and do have something autoimmune. My question is can prednisone help someone with FM or does the fact that it is working mean that I have something else??
  3. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

What it means is that you COULD have something in addition to FMS. Hope not. ((((gentle hugs)))) dolsgirl
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Prednisone does not work on FMS. Have you had an RA Titer to rule out Rheumatoid Arthritis? An ANA to rule out Lupus? How about an ESR (sed rate)to rule out Polymyalgia Rheumatica? These are all simple blood tests. Best of luck to you.
    Klutzo
  5. dojomo

dojomo New Member

....FMS is got to be the worst thing I have ever heard of.....why, when there are simple blood tests to rule out these diseases.....is he putting you on steroids ???????? It's not just taking an aspirin....have you had other blood work like Klutzo has mentioned?......DJ
  6. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

But from what I understand, they are not 100% accurate
  7. roro

roro New Member

Doesnt EVERYONE feel better on prednisone? I have been on it for short courses for severe problems, and I always felt like a superhero on it. Unfortunately it doesnt last. And if i overdo it I fele worse after.
  8. dojomo

dojomo New Member

Is a steroid.......A very potent anti-inflammatory drug that should only be used if the benefits outweight the risks....

Firstly.....steroids weaken the immune system and can be very serious if you have an existing viral, bacterial or fungal infection.

Prednisone is not compatible with many over the counter drugs including herbal remedies.....your doctor should know everything you are taking.

It is still debated whether short term low dose therapy poses risks...but long term therapy can increase your risk of bone fractures, your risk of hip fractures doubles, also there is a 2-fold increase in cataracts.

Side effects include...
    Increased appetite
    Fluid retension
    Stomach pain
    Mood swings
    Wt gain
    Leg cramps

In my opinion....steroids are risky...and those that benefit have life threatening conditions or severe inflammatory processes going on.... ie...asthma , severe arthritis ect
    It should never be a shot in the dark treatment...especially if your rheumatoid profiles were negative...
    What if you have an infection causing your symptoms..?....
    Just my opinion.......DJ

9. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I am not concerned at this point about taking prednisone. I have taken it before and know people who take it all the time with NO side effects. What I want to know is this..Does the fact that the prednisone helped me mean I have something besides FM. All you people are doing is confusing me and scaring me and I think I will kindly sign off from this board for awhile.
  10. dojomo

dojomo New Member

wasn't my intension to scare you off the board here......what symptoms has it improved?.....I just want you to know the risks....as an RN.....I have personally seen what long term prednisone has done to my lung patients that just need it to breathe.
    If this med has given you your life back..maybe you aren't concerned with the long term effects. It just really need to be WORTH it.....In kindness...DJ
  11. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

But at least I am not so angey. Sorry to have pissed you off but I am scared and I don't like the fact that there is not an easy answer to all this. If I have to accept the fact that I have to be in pain and on medications the rest of my life, I would rather not have a rest of my life.I refuse to believe that there is no relief in sight, because I can't go on like this, and the info I gather here lately has been scary to me of little brain. I think it is best for me to leave you all for now.
  12. gentlee

gentlee New Member

I hope you come back to the board. Me too, taking steroid for CFS on doctor's advice, but was frightened for all the reasons the others said. I haven't had side effects so far but hope I can come off it soon. It doesn't seem to help my CFS. But we have to try what we can, I reckon.
    Take care
    Liz
  13. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I take all of that back and would like to say a heartfelt sorry to anyone's feelings I have hurt. I should not take my frustrations out on you very kind people.I think my rheumatologist is an idiot but don't know where to turn. So many other things going on in my life, I am overwhelmed and want to give up.
  14. dojomo

dojomo New Member

Don't lose hope...and don't give up. We have all been where you are and if you stick around and learn from others that have worked on solutions to cope...things won't look so grim....we are all here to help to help each other through this....stay around.....((HUG))..DJ
  15. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

to see what it would do. No talk of long term steroids. My mother suffers from osteoperosis and is put on pred from time to time so I am familiar with it. I am not so sure about my rheumy tho. I checked the good doc list on co-cure and it lists docs near me that are allergy and immunology docs. Does that sound right?
  16. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Mariac, I know how you are feeling. All of this is so frustrating! We all......"don't like the fact that there is not an easy answer to all this," as you said.
    I think most have been through meds and docs that are ineffective, or downright detrimental--some for exceedingly long time periods. I know how exhausting it is, when one is hurting so badly, to try to perservere....and keep trecking to new docs, and trying new meds. I always try to keep in mind--do the benefits outweigh the risks, in my meds. I think all the above posts were sincere, as we are all in this rocking boat together. So many here, are very knowledgable, as they have been through so much before us.
    Prednisone as stated earlier does have risks associated with it. It can be a feel great drug, as someone mentioned. But it can also do the opposite and induce irritability, and moodiness. It does make one more susceptible, due to its suppressing the activity of the immune system. (Thus the use in autoimmune disease). Please consult with your physician if ever you decide to stop this medication. It is one that should be decreased gradually.
    Right now I am trying a new medicine, with better long time use prognosis, as the med I was taking was contraindicated for a long duration. We'll see....how it works.
    All this is to say---all these people are really caring, and were giving you their sincere opinions....thinking of your best interest. I do hope things smooth out for you, and maybe I will get a chance to chat with you sometime.
    Karen
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sweetie, steroids are big-time meds which should be reserved for big-time problems. If you want to kill a gnat, you don't hit it with a mallet damaging everything in the room. I'm sorry if this upsets you, but these people know what they are talking about.

I would seriously consider finding a new doc. Steroids are not the first line of treatment; they are the last. You say you aren't concerned about taking them. You should be. Please become educated on the serious side effects they produce.

Please do not let my "lay it on the line" response insult you or anger you. I am concerned about what your doc may be doing to you. At least give our responses some consideration and stick around. I have learned more from the wisdom of our members than I can ever tell you. We are all scared when we first learn we are sick with an illness for which there is no known cure. Then, we get even more frightened when we find out that most docs are hopelessly ignorant of treating us, often doing more damage to us than our illnesses are doing.

Love, Mikie
  18. Suz15

Suz15 New Member

Know what you are going through. That was the 1st thing the neurologist put me on, prednisone, for 4 monthes. And it worked,,,,really well, on leg pain. The problem was, all the blood tests were coming back negative for inflammation,,,but,,,I had all the signs of an auto-immune problem. This is very very common. All the research Ive done shows that this does happen, frequently, especially with auto immune stuff, may take a while before people show positive for a specific auto immune. Just because you have FMS does not mean you dont have something else brewing. Because of the side effects of long term prednisone use, the doctor and I decided that we would ease off,,,we did. The pain returned in the legs. Still the blood tests were negative. Until, this month, two chromosone tests came back low,,,meaning possible auto immune brewing. (well no kidding!) I have all the tender points and symtoms of FMS, but, the same goes for MS, Lupus and rhuematoid arthritis and Im sure,,,many more. This is a very confusing disease, as are the auto immune diseases,,,hang in there,,,,research, talk to other people. I just take this thing one day at a time,,,if I dont,,,I will go nuts and ya know,,,I dont want to go nuts today...thank you very much. Its not easy,but, not hopeless. I do know people with FMS and auto immune diseases and they live full happy lives. Some of them have had to adapt to some stuff,,but,,they are doing ok.

Hugs
    Suz