I think my thyroid meds are making me feel sick! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by razorqueen, Sep 16, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I started some thyroid meds for the first time on Tuesday, and ever since then I have been feeling extremely awful! My head hurts, lots of pressure on it, I am extra exhausted and weak, can't sleep, and stomach doesn't feel good either! I doc to the doc and he said to take only half of a tablet and see if that makes a difference. It is already a very low dosage, only 0.50mgs.
    HELP!
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/16/2005</i>]
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

But I don't feel anything like you are feeling. It takes weeks for that med to get into your system. What are you taking? I take Cytomel .5 mg. and I take it after I get up.

You are supposed to not take it with vitamins especially iron. I don't think you are supposed to take it with cholesterol meds either.

Go ahead and do what your doc said and cut it in half. Do you know what your TSH was before the doc put you on those meds? Well, if you still don't feel better after taking a half of a tablet, I would call the doc again.

If it was me, I'd stop taking it to see if I felt better, but this med should take several weeks to 6 weeks to get into your system and may take days to get out. I'm just surprised it worked that fast. Some of your symptoms aren't that of taking too much thyroid hormones, though.

Your head shouldn't hurt, your stomach shouldn't hurt... I really don't get it...

Hope you feel better!

Hugs,
    Faye

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/16/2005</i>]
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

having a major flare? AGAIN? I am feeling pretty sick to my stomach. I take it on an empty stomach with no supplements, in the morning. Maybe I will just stop till I feel more normal, and then start it again at half the dosage. I can't remember off hand what it is called, but it isn't the one you are taking. It just seems interesting that I would start feeling this way the same day I started this med, as well as the iron, but I haven't taken the iron at all today. That I took later in the morning with a bit of food. I don't think it is/was the iron that made me feel this way.
    maybe I am getting the flu? Crap, I don't know anymore!
    :-S
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I surely hope you aren't going into a major flare or getting the flu. I think if you just stopped the med until you feel better then start back on it to see if it is really the med or just something else?

Really wish I could help you with this. I think you aren't supposed to take thyroid meds within 2 hours or 4 hours of taking iron and then I heard cholesterol meds too or I read that. I get a bulletin in my email about thyroid problems.

Hope you really do feel better.

Big hugs,
    Faye
  6. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Hi. I am not an expert on thyroid med - so I relied on my doctor. His well intentioned treatment nearly put me in hospital. So, please take care of yourself. One point: thyroid med. can really knock you around if your Vit D levels are very low. Do you know yours? It could be that your parathyroid is being overtaxed by the medication, and your thyroid is receiving no benefit at all. If you haven't already done it, I suggest you have Vit D, and iodine levels checked and supplement them if necessary in conjuction with the thyroid - or even for a while before you resume t. medication. Good luck.
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

They were trying to find one for her that didn't cause unbearable side effects. We were eating out when she was trying a new one, and though she normally had a hardy appetite she was picking listlessly at her food. She ended up in the bathroom forever because she was on the verge of vomiting.

Luckily, we were in a vegetarian restaurant that sold ginger tea. I got her some and it settled her stomache (she's hooked on it every since too). That med obviously wasn't for her, though she does seem to need a thyroid med, it was damaged by chemo when she was younger.

Beware of tampering w/ your thyroid though, we usually have several glands going awry and just treating one can cause more problems than we started with. I take no gland meds, just dessicated liver in the winter mainly or when really rundown. There is a theory that like treats like, and it does rejunenate me.

Jeanne
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I get the brand name because it is so cheap. Once they substituted the generic for it and it made me very sick. The pharmacist said the generic is better absorbed, so it was like getting an overdose for me. I returned it and got Synthroid. I only take 25 mcgms. It's amazing how potent that stuff can be.

Love, Mikie
  9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi RazorQueen

I'm afraid I notice any side effects at all when I started taking levothyroxine. Had to be bumped up twice in the dosage but I didn't notice any difference.

My Dr. says my levels are normal now but my symptoms are the same. The problem is that FMS has very similar symptoms to hypothryoidism so, they may have fixed one but the other is causing the same stuff anyway.

I'm supposed to take mine first thing in the morning and wait two hours before I have anything else, including food. Usually I have to have a coffee though. I wouldn't be able to function!

Regards,

Eileen
  10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I'm still not feeling any better today. I have decided to not take the thyroid or iron or the Fibro Freedom that I got on Thursday till I am feeling more "normal". I feel weak as a lamb, head hurts and feels extremely tight and my stomach just doesn't feel right either. I am at a loss.
  11. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

my ex-dr gave me some meds also and my body freaked out---so i stopped taken it--than he freaked out and insisted on me taken it---i stopped taken it anyway and finally went to a to a new dr....he gave me over the counter THYROSOL and it works great! After a few months I stopped taken it and now I am fine....

some drs just cant get it in their head that all meds dont work on all people!

good luck and try something else!
  12. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Would it be possible to see an Endo doctor? My Internist dropped my thyroid (Levothyrosine) to 112 over a period of a year which created horrible fatigue... I finally decided to see an Endocrinologist and she did several blood tests and raised my thyroid (Synthroid) to 137. I wish I had seen an Endocrinologist a lot sooner since I wasted a year of my life.

Scarflady

13. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

and Endo Dr anywhere close to where I live. Today is a bit better, so, once I am feeling "normal" I will try 1/2 a tablet and see how that goes.
  14. windmill

windmill New Member

Hi...I am on 100..I started at the same dose as you but have needed to bump up. When I was a little higher then I should be it made me sick with weird side affects. As soon as I brought it down I improved. Maybe you are getting to much?
    windmill
  15. pthyram

pthyram New Member

My thyroid meds make me feel sick also, I take 50 mgn daily for the past twelvee years,don,t stp taking the med,talk to your endocrinologist and get your blood checked each month for your tsh levels, u can take multivitamins and vit D FOUR hours after your meds,get your iron level checked also. The meds does make u ill, constipated, diarrhea. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
  16. pthyram

pthyram New Member

Some medications can fix the thyroid problem right away,but once you get a sonogram and your thyroid is in the graves disease state u need further medical help, find out first from your doctor before taking over the counter med
    I meant ultrasound

<br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 12/28/2012</i>]
  17. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

make me sick, it changed my life when I got on it in 2002....&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    For 10 long years prior, I struggled with nasty depression....that is all gone. Vit D3 helped me too with&lt;BR&gt;
    a mild depression back in late 2006.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Could be the WRONG thyroid med people are taking...
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 12/25/2012</i>]
  18. rose515

rose515 Member

Thyroid meds are made differently so it is important to find the right med at the right dose for you. Starting slowly at a lower dose can help as well. When I started on levoxly I began with 25mcg 2-3 times a week over several months then very slowly built up to 5 times a week then 7 times a week all over more than a years time. This was unique to what I needed. The first 2 meds I tried were not right for me at all- Armour and synthroid-but they did help me realize that I needed a thryoid boost. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Some people just have low iodine which is usually not checked. I had mine checked by an alternative doc thru a urine test. It was low. I started on one pill of iodine and gradually increased it to 2 pills of iodine (over a 2 month time) which finally improved my thryoid numbers. The addition of iodine made it so that I did not have to increase my thryroid medication further. It took 2 &amp; 1/2 months to get the iodine to a good level. I use an iodine supplement (capsules) bought online by pure encapsulations. I may eventually require less thryoid medication. Some people are able to eventually get off their thryoid meds by improving their iodine levels. Some need both and some people improve their iodine levels and then take thryoid supplements that consists of herbs and adaptogens.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    It's great to have a doctors that are flexible and willing to check things out thoroughly. I do make lots of requests.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    The following things help determine one's needs: morning temperature, energy levels, thryoid and iodine levels, speed of metabolism, hair texture and amount, skin dryness, appetite, and weight- gain or loss.&lt;BR&gt;
    Adding D3 helped improve my over all body aches and improved my immune system. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    I try to balance my other hormones and I did a liver cleanse which helped me process all meds, supplements and food better. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    It helps to read books on the thyroid and I checked out Dr.Andrew Jones's website on the thyroid and iodine. &lt;BR&gt;
    Hope this helps some in some way.&lt;BR&gt;
    ruby
  19. jaminhealth

we've talked about this MANY times on these boards and enough have poo-poo'd the issue..&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    But it's true and people need to check that out and realize the deficiency. I had one test and then just went for taking Iosol Liquid after all my reading, etc....&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    When I don't take it, miss a few days or so, I get breast pains so I KNOW it's the iodine....&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    I never miss a day now. jam
  20. jaminhealth

did you end up with since syn nor armour were good for you...just curious.